Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Del Mar

Default 10.20.2018 Venue

Laurel Maryland Million day. I mean, come on, how can we not play a card that includes a race with a horse named Crabcakes? She's no slouch, either.

I want to play all 12 races but it does start kinda sorta early at 12 noon eastern. So, I suggest we play starting with Race 3 Maryland Million Distaff H. at 1:12 pm eastern through race 12. So, 10 races. Sound ok?

Go Crabcakes!!!!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Oriental Park

More than OK - it sounds great.

Could those Crabcakes have a little bit of Old Bay seasoning and be washed down by some National Boh?
Old 10-17-2018, 08:32 PM
Del Mar

Sure, Old Bay seasoning is great. I don't know what National Boh is but you can drink whatever you like! I'll have a nice big glass of Pinot Noir. Yeah, I know it's red and usually white wine is paired with seafood. I'll drink what I like as well!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 PM
The Curragh

Default Yeee Haw + Meowza

“...
I want to play all 12 races
but it does start kinda sorta early at 12 noon eastern. So,

***I suggest we play starting with Race 3 Maryland Million Distaff H.
at 1:12 pm eastern through race 12. So, 10 races. Sound ok?” ***
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

*** OK? WAY BEYOND “OK”
TIZ SUPURRRR SPECTACULAR SENSATIONAL SCINTILLATING
BEING 2 HOURS EARLIER THAN MARYLAND....
MEANS I’M UP WITH THE BIRDS

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 10-18-2018, 02:03 PM
The Curragh

I have a question on this Laurel card. Races 5 and 6 are both sprints at 6 furlongs. Race 5 is only allowing 8 horses to run with 6 AE's. Race 6 is allowing 11 to run with only 3 AE's. Race 9 allows 12 to run. Anybody know the reasoning behind this?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:24 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Quiet View Post
I have a question on this Laurel card. Races 5 and 6 are both sprints at 6 furlongs. Race 5 is only allowing 8 horses to run with 6 AE's. Race 6 is allowing 11 to run with only 3 AE's. Race 9 allows 12 to run. Anybody know the reasoning behind this?
RQ, I have the same question as you. The Equibase Entries show that in Race 3 there are only 7 entries and 1 AE. Makes no sense at all for races on the main track. As Race 8 indicates, the starting gate will accommodate 14.

Last edited by JolyB : 10-18-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
RQ, I have the same question as you. The Equibase Entries show that in Race 3 there are only 7 entries and 1 AE. Makes no sense at all for races on the main track. As Race 8 indicates, the starting gate will accommodate 14. I suppose it could be an error.
Did a bit more research. The conditions of the Maryland Millions races are a bit different than usual. Please read the material between the groups of asterisks, which I have inserted to set them off.

Conditions: A Handicap For Three-Year-Olds and Upward. Weights: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 Starters: Field shall be limited to fourteen (14) starters with preference to high weights on the scale. Horses may be placed on the Also Eligible list.******* If the race does not have six (6) Maryland Million certified horses at entry time, not including cross-entered horses, the race will be opened up to the registered Maryland-breds (not Md-Sired) that were pre-entered. In races with six (6) or more Maryland Million certified at entry time, not including cross-entered horses, registered Maryland-breds (not Md-Sired) that were pre-entered may be entered and placed on the also eligible list. If a race scratches below six (6) horses, the Md-Breds on the also eligible list may draw in.******* Pre-entry Fee: $250 due Wednesday, October 10, 2018 Entry Fee: $750 due Wednesday, October 17, 2018 Starting Fee: $1,000 due Saturday, October 20, 2018 Refunds: Pre-entry fee refundable to excluded horses Distribution of purses: First-55%; second-20%; third-10%; fourth-5%; fifth-3%. In fields with nine or less starters, sixth through last-2%; any monies not distributed shall be divided pro-rata among the first five finishers. In fields with 10 or more starters, sixth through last will divide 9% evenly. Owner and Breeder of winner in designated races will be entitled to a breeding to one of the stallions listed. Terms and conditions apply

I can't determine which horses are Maryland Million certified are which aren't. That may make the difference.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:46 PM
The Curragh

Thanks JB. I knew there must be a reason and I couldn't figure it out. I guess they want to keep a majority of the purses in Maryland. It will make handicapping the card much harder with so many AE's.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Thanks JB. I knew there must be a reason and I couldn't figure it out. I guess they want to keep a majority of the purses in Maryland. It will make handicapping the card much harder with so many AE's.
I'm sorry RQ.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM
The Curragh

I always like a challenge Plen. If we can handicap Kamloops we can handicap anywhere.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I always like a challenge Plen. If we can handicap Kamloops we can handicap anywhere.
Let me say that we were all handicapped handicapping Kamloops!!!
Old 10-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Let me say that we were all handicapped handicapping Kamloops!!!
For all of the grief that we gave Forego for selecting Kamloops, I have to confess that it was an enjoyable change of pace (in hindsight anyway). Look how much it has given us to laugh about over the years.

One of these weekends that have no clear choices and don't have any races with Derby or BC prep implications, I am sorely tempted, if I ever have the choice, to select some equally absurd venue just for the fun of it. Well, probably not Kamloops, but something that we would never otherwise consider.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

You guys behave.
Just hope I don't win when Tampa Bay Downs is open on a Saturday when the closest they get to a stakes is a $10,000 AOC for nonwinners of 2 lifetime. But they might find 7 different MdnClaimers ranging from 8,000 to 15,000. And all the horses have 6 or more trail the fields in their record.
Then you can complain. Though I do admit Kamloops has cooler weather.