Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Fairgrounds

Default Beyer on Pimlico

Interesting take....I grew up going to Pimlico. They basically haven't made a real improvement in 40 plus years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...m_sports_pop_b
Old 05-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
Interesting take....I grew up going to Pimlico. They basically haven't made a real improvement in 40 plus years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...m_sports_pop_b
"In 1947, the Maryland Jockey Club purchased Laurel with the idea of shifting Pimlico’s racing there. "

Old 05-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
"In 1947, the Maryland Jockey Club purchased Laurel with the idea of shifting Pimlico’s racing there. "

Hey, no need to rush things!

Amazing...
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Randwyck

One could say the same things about FairGrounds in New Orleans:

>ancient track now situated in basically a ghetto
>it was rebuilt after the fire a few decades ago but is sorely lacking in many areas...too few betting windows and concessions...La Derby day there is a nightmare
>their property is also limited from expansion due to the surrounding neighborhood (there was talk of a 6.5-7f chute being built but there's no room at FG, it would basically hit Gentilly Blvd.)
>place survives basically because of one massive event held there every year...Jazz Fest
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Oaklawn

Beyer hit the nail on the head here...
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
One could say the same things about FairGrounds in New Orleans:

>ancient track now situated in basically a ghetto
>it was rebuilt after the fire a few decades ago but is sorely lacking in many areas...too few betting windows and concessions...La Derby day there is a nightmare
>their property is also limited from expansion due to the surrounding neighborhood (there was talk of a 6.5-7f chute being built but there's no room at FG, it would basically hit Gentilly Blvd.)
>place survives basically because of one massive event held there every year...Jazz Fest
This is incorrect. Absolutely no problem at all placing a bet, grabbing a beer or finding an open restroom. None. In absolute contrast to Gulfstream on Florida Derby day which is a complete and utter nightmare.

I've been to worse tracks than the Fairgrounds, and having been to both the
Florida Derby (many times) and the Louisiana Derby (once), I'd take the LA Derby hands down every time.

They can't help the neighborhood it's in, (Pimlico isn't exactly situated in the Beverly Hills of Baltimore, by a longshot) and while it may be dated, it certainly seems clean and well-maintained.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
This is incorrect. Absolutely no problem at all placing a bet, grabbing a beer or finding an open restroom. None. In absolute contrast to Gulfstream on Florida Derby day which is a complete and utter nightmare.

Florida Derby (many times) and the Louisiana Derby (once), I'd take the LA Derby hands down every time.

They can't help the neighborhood it's in, (Pimlico isn't exactly situated in the Beverly Hills of Baltimore, by a longshot) and while it may be dated, it certainly seems clean and well-maintained.
Admittedly, I haven't been to the LaDerby since Mission Impazible won a few years ago, but I always remember it being a total nightmare. I was there the year Fifty Stars won and no one could bet the race on track.
I have to get in line to wager as soon as the horses leave the paddock because there were simply too few windows, and too many novices trying to use the SAM machines and holding everything up.
On the 2nd floor there is literally about 5-6 live tellers on either side of the paddock...or at least there used to be.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post

I was there for the Risen Star stakes a few years ago and had the same experience. I highly recommend the Fair Grounds. I've definitely seen worse tracks.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Oriental Park

I've never been a Beyer fan for his speed figs or his, his, him . . . but I can only hope that those who may have or get control listen to him this time. And I've been to Pimilco and Bayonne, NJ and I thought Bayonne was the armpit of the east coast. No contest.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
I've never been a Beyer fan for his speed figs or his, his, him . .

Beyer would be relieved to know this.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
I've never been a Beyer fan for his speed figs or his, his, him . . . but I can only hope that those who may have or get control listen to him this time. And I've been to Pimilco and Bayonne, NJ and I thought Bayonne was the armpit of the east coast. No contest.
You've obviously never been to Bayonne.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:24 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Beyer would be relieved to know this.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Jerome Park

Old 05-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Keeneland

Although taking a bit of a tangent I thought this thread may be an ideal local to re-post a description, by DT's own Satan's Twin, of the 'jewel' of the Midwest, known as Hawthorne Park.

Quote:
Oh, pish posh, sir. Enough of this blasphemy. How dare one besmirch this winter palace of racing without full consideration of all its treasures. Where else but this crown jewel will the diligent horseplayer find all that he seeks, requiring only warm clothing, a strong stomach and, on most occasions, a fully loaded weapon.

Consider the sensory overload of the Hawthorne experience. First, the unparalleled skyline of Stickney, Illinois, resplendent in towering smokestacks, billowing mammouth clouds of industrial glory for all to inhale and savor. If not ingesting the rich blends of sulphates and ores, it is hard to ignore the toe-tapping serenade abounding from the adjacent Stevenson Expressway or nearby Midway Airport. Be it the roar of a departing jet or the wafting aromas from the nearby filtration plant of the Chicago Sanitary District, the sights, smells and sounds of Hawthorne is like none other.

Besides the idyllic, park-like conditions of the surrounding areas, one never tires of the interaction with those quaint railbirds one finds at HRC. Oh sure, on the walk from the parking lot to the grandstand, you may see the occasional wheel-chaired bound patron hopelessly stranded in a snow drift, but if you divert your eyes quickly enough, you're just as apt to see local legend Sun Tan Tommy, clad stylishly in a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops, hustling to the front door from the Cicero Avenue bus stop, hoping to win enough to buy a seasonal windbreaker, though highly unlikely, since his last big score at the track went for a roll of duct tape used for flip-flop repairs.

On those occasions when temperatures drop to single digits, and the street industrialists working the entrance to the expressway just can't seem to find enough consumers for their packages of white tube socks, they may switch products and hawk hand-packed bags of salted peanuts at the entrance to Hawthorne. Who can resist that heart-tugging sales pitch of that vendor holding a bag of peanuts in one fingerless gloved hand and that Turkish blend we commonly call a Lucky Strike in the other, which he inserts with morbid rapidity into that tracheal hole four inches south of his chin....But aside from the questionable sales presentation, who doesn't fondly link the purchase of a bag of peanuts with some irresistibly memorable experience from one's youth? And who can resist tearing open the bag to bite open the crunchy shell.....to taste the peanuts themselves...........and that lingering taste of the salt...........which is an odd taste of salt............sea salt? Considering the purveyor, I'm going with either.....hand sweat......or, urine?

But the best prize of all is the racing itself. Full fields or five, sometimes six, runners sporting as many as two, and sometimes three, good legs running in memorable four-figured, and on some rare days, five-figured purses!
With such an enviable purse structure, it is no wonder that Hawthorne can attract "the best of the best" for their riding colony. And no truer is that fact demonstrated than when the likes of a racing stalwart like a 'SpongeBob' Eddie Perez heads up your racing colony. There is no bigger thrill in the game today that when seeing that dwarf, clad in a snowmobile suit instead of racing silks during the winter months, ride a 3-to-5 favorite down the stretch for a hard fought fourth place finish. Many are the occasions when I have wondered how the Michelin Man secured a mount at Hawthorne only to be reminded that it was none other than E. Perez pulling the curtain down on yet another promising steed's racing career.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Washington Park

I'm a Maryland girl. I grew up (since I was 3, now 59) going to Rosecroft, Freestate, Laurel and Pimlico. What's happened to Maryland horse racing in my lifetime is shameful.

The history of horse racing in Maryland dates way back to pre Civil War times. Back in the day Maryland was a very rich and proud horse racing state with amazing breeding farms.

Pimlico is ok for an old track and yes the neighborhood it's in, well, oy!

As a life long horse racing fan and Maryland resident I am quietly embarrassed and disappointed. The home of the second jewel of the triple crown is just not that impressive. As an every day track, it's ok.