Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Keeneland

Default 3 Dead 23 Wounded in 10 hrs. of battle

In Chicago.

http://www.suntimes.com/27066402-761...f-weekend.html

We'll see what the rest of the w/e brings.

Carry On...........
Old 04-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Hialeah Park

Take a bow, Chicago.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 04-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63 View Post
In Chicago.

http://www.suntimes.com/27066402-761...f-weekend.html

We'll see what the rest of the w/e brings.

Carry On...........
More guns needed
Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
More guns needed
And more boot camp, less jail time......

The only positive is, if stats hold true most if not all the victims were felons and for two of the three that were killed their life of crime is over. No prison time necessary.

For the 23 wounded, they'll be slowed down a bit.

Thank God though they all are required to have their own health insurance so as not to be a burden on their parents or society.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
More guns needed
NO!

LESS guns - MORE understanding *Organizes a Kumbaya drum circle with GBBob here for the next four weeks*:

http://news.yahoo.com/four-chicago-n...213400258.html
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Belmont Park

You have a 1 in 9 chance of being a victim of violent crime here:

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/.../halsted-77th/

so if you, by chance, happen to find your self here, do what GB Bob does - give up your gun (why would anyone need to defend themselves in utopia? - Crazy Talk!) and rely solely upon the kindness and compassion of the upstanding neighbors which inhabit this pillar of social community, for they will do nothing but welcome you with open arms and encourage you to consider joining them.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
NO!

LESS guns - MORE understanding *Organizes a Kumbaya drum circle with GBBob here for the next four weeks*:

http://news.yahoo.com/four-chicago-n...213400258.html
No..not really, but I'm not sure what Steve's point either is in posting weekly stats about what sadly occurs in certain neighborhoods. Yeah..if there were no guns, there would be knives and rocks and bats, but a lot less inncocent kids would be killed. Otherwise, besides less or no guns, what is the answer? Build more jails? Agreed..Federal Funds needed though. Longer sentencing? Sure..back to more jails though. I'm not naive, nor Liberal enough to think what you guys think I might, but I sure would love to hear some answers instead of smarmy comebacks.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
No..not really, but I'm not sure what Steve's point either is in posting weekly stats about what sadly occurs in certain neighborhoods. Yeah..if there were no guns, there would be knives and rocks and bats, but a lot less inncocent kids would be killed. Otherwise, besides less or no guns, what is the answer? Build more jails? Agreed..Federal Funds needed though. Longer sentencing? Sure..back to more jails though. I'm not naive, nor Liberal enough to think what you guys think I might, but I sure would love to hear some answers instead of smarmy comebacks.
More guns needed..

Do as I say not as I do, eh?
Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
More guns needed..

Do as I say not as I do, eh?
Yeah...I did think about that one a little late. Point taken
Old 04-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Saratoga

I vote that we can have as many guns as we would like however I'd also like to see tougher back ground checks and Mandatory Minimums for any crime involving guns. Hell Plaxico Burress did time for shooting himself.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:54 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
No..not really, but I'm not sure what Steve's point either is in posting weekly stats about what sadly occurs in certain neighborhoods.
It's meant to serve as a point of reference to what are true problems, that occur weekly, but are ignored for some reason.

You as well as I know it's a gangbanging problem, nothing less and nothing more. Until the self-appointed African American/Hispanic leaders bearing false witness are replaced with actual role models the gangbangers will be protected and falsely projected as victims of the system. Meanwhile the poor, innocent people forced to live in the gang infested neighborhoods will suffer along with the occasional lost tourist.

Unfortunate almost every kid in the city knows who Jesse Jackson and family is but no one knows Donald Thompson. And some here, namely Danzig vilify the man as some greedy capitalist when in fact he was he kid who grew up around Cabrini, made it through Purdue's engineering school and then went on to work his way through the ranks of McDonalds before becoming the company's CEO.

But like ties in kids sports, no valedictorians in high schools, pass or fail as opposed to grades, mediocrity is the new measure of success and a cheating religious leader with felons as children makes for a much better role model of mediocrity than does a self-made CEO who despite growing up amongst the gangbanging, succeeded with pen and paper and not a ball in his hand.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Arlington Park

Building more prisons = tax burden

Addressing poverty and how currently it's advantageous for the poor to have children would be a much better start.

But then again it's much easier to be spineless and harass the lawful citizens with guns than it is to address real problems.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 AM
Morris Park

I am so glad my Nephew and family moved out of that city.

I was worried all the time of them getting caught in the cross fire in the "War Zone" of that city.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Building more prisons = tax burden.
Shootings in the City of Chicago reportedly cost $2.5 billion per year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...at-bleeds.html

In Illinois it costs $25K/year to house a prisoner.

Chicago reportedly has 70,000 gang members and those 70K are responsible for the vast majority of gun crimes.

Devise a plan to target and lock up the worse 10% or 7,000 bangers. At 25K per year the plan would cost 175 million or 7% of the money lost every year to the cost of shootings.

BTW Locking up all 70K would run $1.75 billion a year or 70% of the yearly cost of just shootings. Add on the ancillary costs of housing, feeding and schooling the bangers on the outside not to mention the property they steal and damage, the classrooms and neighborhoods they disrupt and trash it would seem a no-brainer financially. When you consider the innocent lives saved it seems irresponsible not to.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Shootings in the City of Chicago reportedly cost $2.5 billion per year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...at-bleeds.html

In Illinois it costs $25K/year to house a prisoner.

Chicago reportedly has 70,000 gang members and those 70K are responsible for the vast majority of gun crimes.

Devise a plan to target and lock up the worse 10% or 7,000 bangers. At 25K per year the plan would cost 175 million or 7% of the money lost every year to the cost of shootings.

BTW Locking up all 70K would run $1.75 billion a year or 70% of the yearly cost of just shootings. Add on the ancillary costs of housing, feeding and schooling the bangers on the outside not to mention the property they steal and damage, the classrooms and neighborhoods they disrupt and trash it would seem a no-brainer financially. When you consider the innocent lives saved it seems irresponsible not to.
25k a year? Pffffft.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
25k a year? Pffffft.
https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/.../m...er.aspx‎

Search. Illinois Department of Corrections ... Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $20,507 (FY12) ... Menard Correctional Center's Visiting Rules and Regulations.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
https://www2.illinois.gov/idoc/.../m...er.aspx‎

Search. Illinois Department of Corrections ... Average Annual Cost Per Inmate: $20,507 (FY12) ... Menard Correctional Center's Visiting Rules and Regulations.
Yes and I can link a study showing that the actual costs are $38,000/year.

But I'm not the one insinuating that putting these "gangbangers" in prison en masse is going to solve the problem of gun violence.

It simply won't.

Especially considering that the majority of these gangs originated and were funded by people who didn't live in Illinois.

And this isn't like the movie Minority Report where there's a "pre-crime" division. Come on now.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Yes and I can link a study showing that the actual costs are $38,000/year.

But I'm not the one insinuating that putting these "gangbangers" in prison en masse is going to solve the problem of gun violence.

It simply won't.

Especially considering that the majority of these gangs originated and were funded by people who didn't live in Illinois.

And this isn't like the movie Minority Report where there's a "pre-crime" division. Come on now.
I see 38 and go all in

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/ny...tudy-says.html

My point is you can find a "study" to support anything,.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Yes and I can link a study showing that the actual costs are $38,000/year..
Of course you can find a study however the IL Department of Corrections is the number I'll go with.

Quote:
But I'm not the one insinuating that putting these "gangbangers" in prison en masse is going to solve the problem of gun violence...
I'm not either, just pointing out cost is not a factor when you consider the costs already being incurred. Many of the gangbangers are technically wanna-be's who w/o the influence of the gang may very well lead productive, crime free lives.

Quote:
Especially considering that the majority of these gangs originated and were funded by people who didn't live in Illinois....
Long before the Crips and Bloods were the Black P Stone Rangers/El Rukns (Jeff Fort) in the late 50's, the Latin Kings (Luis Felipe) 1940's and the Gangster Disciples (Larry Hoover) early 70's. All were founded in Chicago.

The P Stones (bricks) and Latin Kings formed an alliance back in the late 70's-early 80's calling themselves the People's Nation to fight the ever expanding Disciples and its Folk Nation. They have been at war ever since. So when a Latin Disciple comes across a Latin King it's a problem and grounds for murder because one is Folk and one is People and THAT IS ALL IT TAKES nothing to do with race or anything else.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Keeneland

BTW Final stats for the w/e were 4 dead and 35 wounded.