Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
All kidding aside, this was the moment where had he been any better than a decent/good horse he would have asserted himself.

Instead, he battled Papa Clem and Musket Man in a thrilling duel to see who would be a distant second.
The image if Mine That Bird wasn't in the race scenario is scary. The three best 3-year-olds watched today's race from their stalls.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Santa Anita

He was 2008 champion 2 year old in Canada . It's not like he didn't belong .
Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i think most would have rather he won than mine that bird. people want a horse to follow, and a horse to go on to win the tc. i doubt anyone thinks MTB will turn out to be a good one, or that he has a chance to win the other two classics.
Nope. I'm always glad to see a gelding win. I like to see a horse run more than twice after the Derby.

--Dunbar
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
The three best 3-year-olds watched today's race from their stalls.
I am sure they would have thrived in the swamp.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Bowie

Any trip notes out the race? NBC showed Dunkirk breaking poorly, FF grabbed a quarter and Hold Me Back had a questionable ride, I thought Summer Bird had a had a trip worth noting, he was one of the few that passed horses in the stretch and maybe be playable at a price in the Preakness or Belmont.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Saratoga

For those trying to make a case for anyone today, remember, this field got smoked by a horse who could not win the Sunland Derby!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2
what happen to FF?
Ya know, maybe just maybe 7 weeks is too long to go without real race experience when trying the Derby. Larry Jones notwithstanding, I was very happy Friesan Fire folded. If he'd won, someone would have tried to train up to the Derby from February next year.

--Dunbar
Old 05-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
The image if Mine That Bird wasn't in the race scenario is scary. The three best 3-year-olds watched today's race from their stalls.
But then if they would have lost too, somebody would be saying that they didn't run their race either. Why is it that when the track is off, people like to say that ONLY the winner ran their race? They did the same thing in 2004 with Smarty.

Facts.
The winner kicked ass today. Simple as that.

Some people said that Pioneer COULD NOT run on dirt. Not that they didn't think he'd be as effective on dirt as on synthetic but that he was a slow turf horse that COULD NOT run on it. They even suggested that anyone that asked the question "how do we know since he's never tried it" were idiots or insane and that the question was crap.

Now the question is whether or not he can run on a fast dirt track and the answer is the same. We still don't know.

Some people hate to be wrong. Instead of giving the winner credit, they'll find all kinds of ways to disparage a horse that obviously ran better than they thought they would. Even if it was in a seven length loss and the 10 best 3yos all scratched out, it was better than he was thought to run. It shouldn't matter if all of the top horses scratched out. If he was a slow turf horse that can't run on it, he shouldn't have finished second at all.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

The scenerio is really laugh out loud funny ( and you get a sample of it from some who are still confused in this thread ).

Let's see....the race would have gotten roughly the 97 Beyer it deserved. The usuals would have then accused Beyer of intentionally lowering the number, even though it fit perfectly for the ( then ) first three finishers, in a desperate attempt to confirm his ( actually correct ) opinion that Pioneer of the Nile wasn't particularly fast.

It would have been a real screach!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Flemington

I would have been badmouthing the field away like no tomorrow instead of puzzled trying to understand how MTB isn't a claiming horse.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Arlington Park

In the end wasn't today a day where we should be discussing how the Beyers figures failed in predicting this derby? Frankly I was surprised how badly Dunkirk and Friesan Fire ran today.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I would have been badmouthing the field away like no tomorrow instead of puzzled trying to understand how MTB isn't a claiming horse.
Well at least you now have a new tops to your worst classic winners evah list.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Flemington

The way he ran today - if it can be believed - there is no way that he's not a much better horse than a Sarava or Da Tara.

I just can't believe my eyes this time.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 PM
pgardn

They ran in a gd swamp...

And Beyer will make his little numbers.
That actually mean less than his syn. numbers.
Amazing.

I think BTW has Beyer's look-a-like sex doll.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Santa Anita

MTB best Beyer was an 81 down at Sunland. And Birdstone never really cared for the off going . Another reason to shy away from MTB .
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
In the end wasn't today a day where we should be discussing how the Beyers figures failed in predicting this derby? Frankly I was surprised how badly Dunkirk and Friesan Fire ran today.
Friesan Fire is a phony who's had easy trips in slow paced races - and there was a good chance another great hate of mine for this race - turned somehow my pick -Dunkirk would get his education and run lousy.

How did the Beyer figures fail? Are they supposed to have Mine That Bird running a 110 in his two losses at Sunland?

By far and away the two genuine real horses were both injured. They were supposed to beat this field to a pulp if they ran.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Monmouth Park

I wonder if Chantal is miffed she lost the mount.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
MTB best Beyer was an 81 down at Sunland. And Birdstone never really cared for the off going . Another reason to shy away from MTB .

someone on here said they remembered birdstone winning in new york in the slop...i think they must have meant empire maker. the only time i remember birdstone on a sloppy track was when he ran before the derby, they had sealed the surface, and nick zito looked absolutely murderous afterwards.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
I wonder if Chantal is miffed she lost the mount.
and mandella used to train him. go figure.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
someone on here said they remembered birdstone winning in new york in the slop...i think they must have meant empire maker. the only time i remember birdstone on a sloppy track was when he ran before the derby, they had sealed the surface, and nick zito looked absolutely murderous afterwards.
Birdstone broke his maiden in the slop in Aug of his 2 yr season at the 'Toga. He rolled home, like 10-12 lengths. I actually witnessed it in person.