Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Canelo vs Money May

Sept 14th per Mayweather's twitter account. I'll be rooting for Alvarez more than any other boxer in history. I hope it's half the battle that they'll be making it out to be.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Havre de Grace

Money May needs an exiting fight cause he is getting more boring than a 4 hour sox yankees game. Kessler v. Frosch was a REAL fight, and thats what the people want.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:56 AM
The Curragh

It had better be good. With Rios v. Pacquaio in the same timetable and whoever fights Mike Alvarado next (Bradley or Marquez?) Mayweather v. Alvarez fight just won't look as exciting.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Havre de Grace

Bradley would leave feet first if he ever fought Alvarado. Ruslan the Siberian Rocky beat the sh!t out of him in their fight.

So In the fall bet on the Russian and against Bradley who will leave the undefeated ranks in his next fight, when the beat down the Russian put on him will show. Kind of like when Foreman beat Frazier. Ali did that to him, Foreman was in a good spot. Foreman was in a terrible spot against the bias when Ali decked him.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 AM
The Curragh

All signs pointing to Marquez/Bradley. Best option for Alvarado now is to get Provodnikov and find a way onto the Mayweather undercard. Though the likelihood of that being allowed is almost zero since no matter what happened in the main event it would not be even remotely as exciting.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
All signs pointing to Marquez/Bradley. Best option for Alvarado now is to get Provodnikov and find a way onto the Mayweather undercard. Though the likelihood of that being allowed is almost zero since no matter what happened in the main event it would not be even remotely as exciting.
I think Alvarado had surgery after his last fight. Supposedly he is getting a hometown (Denver) fight probably against a tomato can.

Marquez looked shot against Mayweather a few years back, got claimed by a juice guy, looked like Mark McGuire against Pac man and suddenly is Earnie Shavers as opposed to the counter puncher he had been his whole career.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I think Alvarado had surgery after his last fight. Supposedly he is getting a hometown (Denver) fight probably against a tomato can.

Marquez looked shot against Mayweather a few years back, got claimed by a juice guy, looked like Mark McGuire against Pac man and suddenly is Earnie Shavers as opposed to the counter puncher he had been his whole career.

Now there is a blast from the past....Shavers....
I saw Oliver Mccall last year in Houston...i think he was fighting for 1K and all you can eat at Burger King.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by santana View Post
Now there is a blast from the past....Shavers....
I saw Oliver Mccall last year in Houston...i think he was fighting for 1K and all you can eat at Burger King.
Most state boxing commissions are worse than horse racing commissions. How some of these older guys are granted licenses to box is crazy.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

Man you hit the nail on the head with this post. When I saw Marquez before that Pac Man fight. My first thought was he might kill him.. Bradley would be KO'd in the first. Score written all over this fight.

Trivia, who was the only guy that Earnie Shavers decked, who actually got up and knocked him out ? No fair google.

If you want to see a fight led that led to a huge score, watch Duran take apart a very tough Carlos Palomino before he fought Leonard the first time. Then go go watch Russian Rocky v. Bradley....Then imagine Bradley fighting Marquez and getting pummeled in the first.

I know it's not saying much, but I know much more about betting Boxing, than hosses, or at I'm better at it.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

Mike cost himself the Pacman fight and a massive payday by not going to his PT after the surgery, hence it fell to Rios, who will almost definitely embarrass Manny. The guys at Delgado's (Alvarados local gym) were broken up pretty bad.

The word around here is, since yesterday anyway, that Provodnikov is very happy to fight Mike right here in Denver in Oct. Nov.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Mike cost himself the Pacman fight and a massive payday by not going to his PT after the surgery, hence it fell to Rios, who will almost definitely embarrass Manny. The guys at Delgado's (Alvarados local gym) were broken up pretty bad.

The word around here is, since yesterday anyway, that Provodnikov is very happy to fight Mike right here in Denver in Oct. Nov.
The Siberian Rocky is no tomato can. Would be a great fight
Old 06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Could not agree more. Hope they can make it happen.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
he laid a beating on Bradley. he's on the come.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM
The Curragh

"I think he is a great warrior. In order to beat him I would have to break his will. I think technically he is a good fighter with good power. I would have to use my power to discourage him and stop him." Provodnikov on Alvarado. 'break his will', 'discourage him' This will be fight of the year without question.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Fairgrounds

I'm hoping Gennady Golovkin and Sergio Martinez can get something worked out. Sergio running around and peppering Golovkin, and Golovkin landing those power shots. If Golovkin can get past Martinez, then we start talking super fight with Andre Ward. A man can dream right?
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Havre de Grace

Triple G is a bad man.....i don't think Ward wants any part of him. He knocked out Macklin without even trying. HBO and Showtime have the right idea giving us all these awesome fights for free. it makes you not mind paying once in a while to keep it going,. there haven't bbeen welterweights or middleweights this good since Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard. it's great to see. The fight crowd is still the coolest of them all.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Triple G is a bad man.....i don't think Ward wants any part of him. He knocked out Macklin without even trying. HBO and Showtime have the right idea giving us all these awesome fights for free. it makes you not mind paying once in a while to keep it going,. there haven't bbeen welterweights or middleweights this good since Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard. it's great to see. The fight crowd is still the coolest of them all.
Unfortunately for the sport but fortunately for us, I think the reason why we're getting all of these really good fights on hbo and showtime is due to the sport's complete lack of popularity these days. I think back in the 90s/early 2000s the Canelo/Trout fight would've been on ppv.

Another question, now that Bernard Hopkins most recent fight was canceled due to his opponent's visa issues, does Hopkins go for that last big payday by fighting Adonis Stevenson next? Hopkins would get killed, but still...

Also, they hype and money involved if GGG knocks out Sergio Martinez would be too much for Andre Ward to pass up. Ward can't duck triple G if he beats Martinez easily
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:01 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
I'm hoping Gennady Golovkin and Sergio Martinez can get something worked out. Sergio running around and peppering Golovkin, and Golovkin landing those power shots. If Golovkin can get past Martinez, then we start talking super fight with Andre Ward. A man can dream right?
I don't think there is much chance of Martinez fighting GGG. By the time Martinez could be ready GGG will most likely have cleaned out the division with the exception of Quinllen and the ridiculous Top Rank/Golden Boy feud.

Not to mention that I dont think Martinez has any prayer at this point. GGG will hunt him down and break him down. Sergio was a great champion but he has slipped, might have lost his last fight if he wasn't fighting at home and probably isnt gonna get any better. I can see one tomato can fight for him and then a rematch with JCC and ride off into retirement.

HBO doesn't want GGG and Ward until they have milked every drop from the 160 and probably 154 pound division. Neither can headline a huge PPV yet and Ward doesn't have much to gain by fighting him now. Plus if GGG were to move up and beat Ward there is no decent 160 pounder that will mess with him and we all know the 168 division is bare.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
Unfortunately for the sport but fortunately for us, I think the reason why we're getting all of these really good fights on hbo and showtime is due to the sport's complete lack of popularity these days. I think back in the 90s/early 2000s the Canelo/Trout fight would've been on ppv.

Another question, now that Bernard Hopkins most recent fight was canceled due to his opponent's visa issues, does Hopkins go for that last big payday by fighting Adonis Stevenson next? Hopkins would get killed, but still...

Also, they hype and money involved if GGG knocks out Sergio Martinez would be too much for Andre Ward to pass up. Ward can't duck triple G if he beats Martinez easily
The reason that we are getting all these good fights is the sports popularity is on the rise. CBS and NBC have both been doing some cards and HBO and Showtime have been pouring money in which has led to more fights. Boxing is still very popular in Mexico and overseas in many places. The reason we havent seen that many PPV's is the Top Rank/Golden Boy feud which has killed off many great matchups. Eventually they will work it out one would assume but possibly not until Arum senior croaks.

I dont think Hopkins will get killed by anyone at this point. He may not make fights exciting but he is still pretty damn hard to hit cleanly.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Havre de Grace

I agree. Boxing is on the rise for sure. It's the only sport you can watch with your wife or girlfriend and have them not complain. If you decide to take them to the fights, they'll be hooked forever.
The main thing is that they have a good product, many seem to realize that there is enough money to go around, so they are worrying about getting better and not worrying about the money.