Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
King George VI and Queen Elizabeth QIPCO Stakes shaping up to be a BELTER @Ascot in 10 days…

Any chance McPeek gives it a go with Classic Causeway? He fits, right?
I don't know if he "fits" (well, probably as much as McPeek fits in top hat & tails) but it would be "fitting" if McPeek ran him back in the King George.

This is where it all started with McPeek's fascination with European racing---in his own words during a televised interview at the Epsom Oaks a few years ago, "it's SOOO COOL!"--and his penchant for trying to fit trapezoid & rhombus pegs into round holes.

The great Brazilian-bred Hard Buck ran 2nd at 33/1 in the 2004 King George. A great renewal it was, as the Hard Buck never ran again (why would you after that?) & the winner never hit the board again.

Gary Stevens rode the horse that day. I presume for Stevens Hard Buck was the best grass horse he ever rode...at least if they happen to air the race on Fox Sports & he starts reminiscing...
Old 07-19-2023, 11:05 AM
Belmont Park

It's a really strong field, and I look forward to watching it. McPeek might want to pick a softer spot this one looks a tad salty for his Grade 1 winner. LOL Maybe try him on the dirt around one turn?
Old 07-19-2023, 01:12 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
It's a really strong field, and I look forward to watching it. McPeek might want to pick a softer spot this one looks a tad salty for his Grade 1 winner. LOL Maybe try him on the dirt around one turn?
McPeek's pride will keep him from ever sprinting that horse.

Reminds me of Barclay Tagg & the recently deceased Funny Cide. At 3, Funny Cide aside from his Derby & Preakness wins was a terrible hanger that usually lost ground in the stretch; by the end of the year people were clamoring for Tagg to cut Funny Cide back to one turn. Keep in mind the horse romped with giant BSFs as a 2yo in his first 2 starts. Tagg did run FC in a 7f allowance in his first start at 4 & the horse absolutely crushed.

But Tagg would have none of it & stretched the horse right back out & watched him revert to his hanging ways, his only win being a desperate finish to hold on in a Grade 3 at Aqueduct. Tagg then half-heartedly tossed the horse into the Met Mile--only the toughest one turn race of the year--and after an even effort disingenuously whined, "I never did think he was a miler, but it's been drummed in my head forever..."

The genius never sprinted Funny Cide again until it was too late, running him as a 6yo a couple years later in the Mr. Prospector off a long layoff where he was buried in a track record performance by Gaff with the likes of War Front & Friendly Island in tow.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:28 PM
Belmont Park

Funnycide mdn 6f was huge
Old 09-15-2023, 08:33 PM
Oriental Park

I'm a bit sorry I missed this 4 weeks ago, but I feel even more sorry for the horse, to be campaigned so ignobly by this joke of a trainer.

What started out simply as an indulgent if ill-conceived foray into international racing, has become a cruel exercise in the utter humiliation of a gifted racehorse.

On the bright side, the horse has won the "best turned out" award twice now in 3 UK starts.

Maybe McPeaked can take the hint and...TURN THE HORSE OUT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKA0...N0ZXIgc3Rha2Vz
Old 09-16-2023, 10:09 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I'm a bit sorry I missed this 4 weeks ago, but I feel even more sorry for the horse, to be campaigned so ignobly by this joke of a trainer.

What started out simply as an indulgent if ill-conceived foray into international racing, has become a cruel exercise in the utter humiliation of a gifted racehorse.

On the bright side, the horse has won the "best turned out" award twice now in 3 UK starts.

Nice
Old 09-18-2023, 09:09 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post

Maybe a match race with General Jim at Far Hills in a few weeks?