Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2023, 12:05 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
I only watched the race once but with a :44+ half mile & a 1:24+ final time that was a horrendous battle of attrition.

I was surprised that Pirate went off at 10-1, wasn't he a hyped odds-on horse when he won his debut earlier in the meet?

At any rate, he's the only one he seems interesting on first glance out of the race, but at the same time, if he was sitting back behind that quick pace that collapsed he probably blown them away in the stretch. Even the winner looked ready to fall over when he looped the field...
Baffert's horse was close enough to the pace and sort of held on in the stumblefest. It's really hard for me to accept all of those regressed on the same day in the same race at 7f's to boot. Yeah, I get they are all lightly raced two-year-olds but not a single one of them was able to be OK? Nobody emerged save the winner who I get was capable of improving to a 72. The figure is right based on the clock and the other races. 72 is a lot lower than anybody's preconceived projection of what that race was likely to yield. I would have cut the race loose if I was responsible for making the figure it just doesn't make sense to me at least.