Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Oaklawn

Default What has Flower Alley done?

What has Flower Alley done this year to be considered for HOY? It's half way though the year and it's time to start Horse Of the Year achivements.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Churchill Downs

It's not what he has done, but it is reasonable to think that he can improve on and tighten the obvious talent from a 3yo campaign that saw him finish second in the BC Classic to finish last year.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
What has Flower Alley done this year to be considered for HOY? It's half way though the year and it's time to start Horse Of the Year achivements.
Not much. I think he has a good shot at winning HOY because if he wins the rest of the races Pletcher has mapped out for him, I think he will deserve it. Now obviously that is a fairly big "if" but based on what this horse did in the late summer and fall of last year, I think he is the best horse in the classic division. Hard to tell for sure since he has only run once this year, but I like him more than any others who appear (at this point) to be headed for the classic.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Bold Brooklynite

This has been an exceptionally weak year for older male two-turn dirt horses. Most of the G1 and G2 races have been pretty sorry spectacles.

The only hopes for anything special happening this year are Invasor and Mayan King ... or someone popping up off the bench. Flower Alley ... and a few others ... represent the "off-the-bench" hopes ... and horseracing fans are nothing if not hopeful.

Let's pray something good happens ... because it's been very dreary so far.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Jerome Park

Yeah, thank God for Mayan King. He really gives us all at least something to be thankful for.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Oaklawn

Flower Alley has had one race that was a weak Grade III. Lava Man has won 5 in a row on dirt and turf with the Pacific Classic next. Even though he hasn't left California he has to be the leading canidate for Horse of the Year.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Hollywood Park

Default Lava Man

Right now it has to be Lava Man ......

Flower Alley is poised to challenge and it will be interesting to see if one of Pletcher's two year olds remains unbeaten this year.....

SHould make for an exciting second half.

Is the Whitney next for Flower Alley and if so, who are his expected challengers????

Thanks,

PSH
Old 07-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
Flower Alley has had one race that was a weak Grade III. Lava Man has won 5 in a row on dirt and turf with the Pacific Classic next. Even though he hasn't left California he has to be the leading canidate for Horse of the Year.
Absolutely.

Right now ... Lava Man definitely deserves to be Horse-Of-The-First-Six-And-A-Quarter-Months-Of-The-Year.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Yeah, thank God for Mayan King. He really gives us all at least something to be thankful for.
That's just the kind of horse he is.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:51 PM
eurobounce

Horse Of The Year is a crock of an award these days. I have been turned off of any end os seasons award ever since Favorite Trick won Horse Of The Year. If Flower Alley wins his next start then the Breeders Cup Classic he will be Horse Of The Year. End of season awards are so flawed in horse racing.