Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Hoisttheflag

Default Dogwood's Soaring By in the Top 2yr

Everyone wants to pick the next great 2yr old so they can tell everyone how smart they are, and they seem to think Circular Quay is the horse, but I will make the statement well in advance, Soaring By will win the Eclipse as top 2yr old not CQ, who according to the self proclaimed "expert" on horses is the greatest 2yr old in 10 yrs. LOL.

The fact is that they are 2yr olds though and making a pick on who will win anything, or saying no two year old can be beaten borders on insanity. I hope people see the humor of this post.

Last edited by Hoisttheflag : 07-09-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Randwyck

I took a wait and see approach about CQ and I'm not going to go overboard on Soaring By either. There are undoubtedly many other talented babies waiting in the wings- we haven't even hit Saratoga yet. I will not (but I feel this way in general) concede any race to any horse, and with babies? No way - there's too much racing left. Suffice to say he's a talented colt....
Old 07-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Santa Anita

That's right Betty. I'm not big on 2 yr. olds but I like to see them run a few races. There's plenty more out there that are being brought along at a slower pace. They'll be running soon enough.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 PM
eurobounce

C Quay wasnt the most impressive horse in the Bashford--the 1 horse was. But these are babies, I love them all and I love to see the "POTENTIAL" in each of these lovely horses. I will wait until April to make a judgement on these babies.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
I took a wait and see approach about CQ and I'm not going to go overboard on Soaring By either. There are undoubtedly many other talented babies waiting in the wings- we haven't even hit Saratoga yet. I will not (but I feel this way in general) concede any race to any horse, and with babies? No way - there's too much racing left. Suffice to say he's a talented colt....
Read my post. You made my point. I ike Soaring By but was actually mocking another post.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 PM
oracle80

WHy not just come out and say that you are holding out great hope for the two year olds that your wife has? And that you resent anyone saying that any two year old who has run yet is a divison lader with so many races left to run this year? Not a damn thing wrong with that, its expected, anyone who owns a two year old now will tell you that they have the best one you ever saw back at the barn. Its why we play the game and love the game, the anticipation can sometimes outweigh the final result.
Noone on this board has used the word eclipse except you, I know I haven't.
Unfortunately even with a horse I love, my enthusiasm is always tempered by the seemingly very fragile state of today's thoroughbred. Great one second, gone the next. Ask Buff Bradley about that.I'm not quite sure why you resent my enthusiasm on this horse so much. There's a thread about Bernadini right below this one yet I don't see you telling people who think hes gonna be the goods how crazy they are. Quite frankly I have some doubts about Bern, small ones, but doubts no less and and am not convinced he will be the goods at years end yet I don't tell those people they are nuts either.
Come to think of it I think there is a very small chance that Lava man will be teh goods at years end as well. yet on his thread I said I loved the horse and that he is becoming a legend with his heart and determination.
Everyone eventually falls in love with a horse. Sometimes(most of the time) they end up not being what you thought they would be.
But every now and then you see a Personal Ensign debut and go into histrionics like a college kid did once upon a time telling everyone that this was the grestest filly ever, and you turn out to be ok. Or when you see a horse run on the turf for thr first time in September of 1992 and proclaim that he is gonna win the BC mile and is a lock to do so even though he only won an allowance race against crows and he ends winning two of them in a row, like Lure did.
Or maybe you see a horse terrorize some horses witha crazy run like Ghostzapper did at age three and say that next year he will destroy all comers.
Thats why we love the game you see, those 1-10 times in a lifetime that you fall in love with a horse and he DOESN'T break your heart.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
WHy not just come out and say that you are holding out great hope for the two year olds that your wife has? And that you resent anyone saying that any two year old who has run yet is a divison lader with so many races left to run this year? Not a damn thing wrong with that, its expected, anyone who owns a two year old now will tell you that they have the best one you ever saw back at the barn. Its why we play the game and love the game, the anticipation can sometimes outweigh the final result.
Unfortunately even with a horse I love, my enthusiasm is always tempered by the seemingly very fragile state of today's thoroughbred. Great one second, gone the next. Ask Buff Bradley about that.I'm not quite sure why you resent my enthusiasm on this horse so much. There's a thread about Bernadini right below this one yet I don't see you telling people who think hes gonna be the goods how crazy they are. Quite frankly I have some doubts about Bern, small ones, but doubts no less and and am not convinced he will be the goods at years end yet I don't tell those people they are nuts either.
Come to think of it I think there is a very small chance that Lava man will be teh goods at years end as well. yet on his thread I said I loved the horse and that he is becoming a legend with his heart and determination.
Everyone eventually falls in love with a horse. Sometimes(most of the time) they end up not being what you thought they would be.
But every now and then you see a Personal Ensign debut and go into histrionics like a college kid did once upon a time telling everyone that this was the grestest filly ever, and you turn out to be ok. Or when you see a horse run on the turf for thr first time in September of 1992 and proclaim that he is gonna win the BC mile and is a lock to do so even though he only won an allowance race against crows and he ends winning two of them in a row, like Lure did.
Or maybe you see a horse terrorize some horses witha crazy run like Ghostzapper did at age three and say that next year he will destroy all comers.
Thats why we love the game you see, those 1-10 times in a lifetime that you fall in love with a horse and he DOESN'T break your heart.
Also, it is easy to say "we need to wait and see" about every horse that runs (especially a 2yo). If we all did that....this would be a pretty boring board. If we see a horse that we like, why not come on here and make a big deal about it?
If people start predicting a triple crown for a 2yo or something crazy like that, they should be called out for their stupidity. But nobody did that for CQ. People (like me) are excited for the rest of this horse's 2yo season. So why not make some bold, but not incredibly unreasonable, predictions. Isn't that one of the things this board is for?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Arlington Park

Also Hoist, I know you were just "mocking another post" but in all seriousness, what is it about Soaring By that you like so much? I don't know very much about that colt.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Also, it is easy to say "we need to wait and see" about every horse that runs (especially a 2yo). If we all did that....this would be a pretty boring board. If we see a horse that we like, why not come on here and make a big deal about it?
If people start predicting a triple crown for a 2yo or something crazy like that, they should be called out for their stupidity. But nobody did that for CQ. People (like me) are excited for the rest of this horse's 2yo season. So why not make some bold, but not incredibly unreasonable, predictions. Isn't that one of the things this board is for?
Nope, we must sit on our hands silently until we get the green light from hoist and his excitement control committee.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Nope, we must sit on our hands silently until we get the green light from hoist and his excitement control committee.
Thats about right. Excitement control committee seems to explain to us who we can and car get excited about. I dunno what we ever did without them.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Thats about right. Excitement control committee seems to explain to us who we can and car get excited about. I dunno what we ever did without them.
LOL! "O",

Dogwood lost Eye for Style, winner in the 1st at Bel 9 (pd. $16.60) that was claimed for 25K by Sanford Robbins, Dominic Galluscio.

Lets wait and see who claims Soaring By in a while.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
I want take time to look up your original post on this guy but to paraphrase it . You said this horse was the real deal and watch out he had the look of a champ. Nice predction. I didnt see the forst race but I saw the one yesterday and I dont think you overstated a thing.Maybe there are some waiting to chalage for the baby championship but what is the big deal trying to make someone look folish about there perception of a horse.For anyone to deny this horse is special wasnt watching the same race I was. If I came out and proclaimed BeA Resident, who won a state bred baby Stakes race at LS yesterday, the next comming of Man O War. Call me crazy. But CQ has deserved the accolades.

Last edited by jpops757 : 07-09-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:10 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops757
I want take time to look up your original post on this guy but to paraphrase it . You said this horse was the real deal and watch out he had the look of a champ. Nice predction. I didnt see the forst race but I saw the one yesterday and I dont think you overstated a thing.Maybe there are some waiting to chalage for the baby championship but what is the big deal trying to make someone look folish about there perception of a horse.For anyone to deny this horse is special wasnt watching the same race I was. If I came out and proclaimed BeA Resident, who won a state bred baby Stakes race at LS yesterday, the next comming of Man O War. Call me crazy. But CQ has deserved the accolades.
Pops its not hard to read whats going on here. The guy has a wife who has some nice horses, I believe the guy. Thats not the kinda thing you make up you know? I think most people on here tell the truth.
They have these nice two year olds that they are excited about and hes upset because people are talking up a two year old. Irrational? yes. But this is a horse racing site for people who love the game for the most part. If we can't get excited about a horse unless a board member has ties to it, then what the hell are we doing here?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:13 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
LOL! "O",

Dogwood lost Eye for Style, winner in the 1st at Bel 9 (pd. $16.60) that was claimed for 25K by Sanford Robbins, Dominic Galluscio.

Sandy is a client of mine and one of the best and most honest people in this game. hes a gem, and I wish nothing for him except success. Tell you waht kind of guy he is, he once sent me a commission on a horse we were gonna buy before he vetted out. I said sandy you can't do that, what if he doesnt vet? he said then just keep the money and I will take it out of the next deal, I am going away on a two week trip and if I dont send it now you will have to wait two weeks and you have worked hard on this deal and Im sure you could use the cash now. Thats the kind of guy Sandy Robbins is. Hes a gentleman in the truest sense of the word.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Pops its not hard to read whats going on here. The guy has a wife who has some nice horses, I believe the guy. Thats not the kinda thing you make up you know? I think most people on here tell the truth.
They have these nice two year olds that they are excited about and hes upset because people are talking up a two year old. Irrational? yes. But this is a horse racing site for people who love the game for the most part. If we can't get excited about a horse unless a board member has ties to it, then what the hell are we doing here?
Soaring By is a dead bet-against for me next out vs tougher from an inside post.

Here's what I saw:
1. He broke just ok.
2. He had no trafiic early.
3. He went down the backstretch with a wide-open track in front of him.
4. He had no traffic on the turn
5. Then his ability and talent took over and he won off as much the best.
6. He had no traffic in the stretch. or the turn.
7. Beyer of 99? Too high in my book. Horses that debut with this high a number are FAR MOR LIKELY THAN AVERAGE TO bounce. Badly.
8. If you ordain Soaring BY the division leader, you have got to be drooling from your mouth to bet back Consecration, the pace-dueling colt who held well for the open lengths 2nd in the race. Lets see how he runs back.

Again, very impressive maiden winner. Let's see what happens if he catches the rail on a tighter track vs better. The 99 debut Beyer makes him a bet-against anyway. If he catches the rail? Both fists!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Sandy is a client of mine and one of the best and most honest people in this game. hes a gem, and I wish nothing for him except success. Tell you waht kind of guy he is, he once sent me a commission on a horse we were gonna buy before he vetted out. I said sandy you can't do that, what if he doesnt vet? he said then just keep the money and I will take it out of the next deal, I am going away on a two week trip and if I dont send it now you will have to wait two weeks and you have worked hard on this deal and Im sure you could use the cash now. Thats the kind of guy Sandy Robbins is. Hes a gentleman in the truest sense of the word.
O,
I wasn't taking a cut at Mr Robbins. He's got an excellent reputation, though I've never met him..I'm sure he's stand up.
This post confirms things.
Wish him luck with Eye for Style.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
LOL! "O",

Yes. One of the last Deputy Ministers is dropping to the claiming ranks right after the most impressive 2yr old race this year. If you want to know who the best horse 2yr old in the Pletcher camp is just watch which one JV rides and which one still has Bejarano when they meet in the Hopeful. Soaring By is their star 2yr old right now and I don't think anyone in the Pletcher barn would disagree. It is pretty common knowledge. Soaring By will be the favorite in the Sanford and the Hopeful. Who knows though what he will be doing next May.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
Yes. One of the last Deputy Ministers is dropping to the claiming ranks right after the most impressive 2yr old race this year. If you want to know who the best horse 2yr old in the Pletcher camp is just watch which one JV rides and which one still has Bejarano when they meet in the Hopeful. Soaring By is their star 2yr old right now and I don't think anyone in the Pletcher barn would disagree. It is pretty common knowledge. Soaring By will be the favorite in the Sanford and the Hopeful. Who knows though what he will be doing next May.
Hoist,
Sorry I touched a nerve. I didn't mean to dis him. Heck, I love Deputy Ministers. I own two of his grand kids.
Accept my apology.

I'll watch for Soaring by. Good luck!

DTS
Old 07-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Hoist,
Sorry I touched a nerve. I didn't mean to dis him. Heck, I love Deputy Ministers. I own two of his grand kids.
Accept my apology.

I'll watch for Soaring by. Good luck!

DTS

No need to apologize. It is a message board. SB is their star 2yr old so I would expect big things from him. There are so many good ones up at Saratoga now that the 2yr old picture will change a million times before the BCJ.