Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 01:24 PM
boldruler

Default Swaps field

What are there only a few hundred horses in all of CA. Every big race has 3 or 4 horses.

$350,000 Swaps Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II, Race 3, 1:02 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/8 Miles
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey, ML Odds
1. A. P. Warrior (KY), 120, David R. Flores, 6/5
2. Potential (KY), 112, Jon K. Court, 20/1
3. Point Determined (MD), 118, Victor Espinoza, 1/1
4. Arson Squad (PA), 114, Alex O. Solis, 3/1
Old 07-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
What are there only a few hundred horses in all of CA. Every big race has 3 or 4 horses.

$350,000 Swaps Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II, Race 3, 1:02 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/8 Miles
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey, ML Odds
1. A. P. Warrior (KY), 120, David R. Flores, 6/5
2. Potential (KY), 112, Jon K. Court, 20/1
3. Point Determined (MD), 118, Victor Espinoza, 1/1
4. Arson Squad (PA), 114, Alex O. Solis, 3/1
No suspense here...should be A.P. Warrior and Point Determined wing-dinging it down the stretch again in here....horrible race......I can't believe PD was weighted less than A.P. Warrior, especially after beating him in the prep...weird but I doubt it matter (I'm not a big weight guy but if PD barely wins, which is quite seeable, then people will probably make a big deal out of it)...only 2 lbs..

PD dettermined has more upside IMO so he wins this on that.....nice 58 and change work last week...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Horses just don't race as often as they used to ... or as often as they should.

You'd think third place or fourth place money would be attractive to some hungry owner ... but apparently not.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Jerome Park

It's hard to believe it took only four days for there to be a less appealing stake race than the Dwyer.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Idlewild Airport

California racing is flat out dreadful.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
It's hard to believe it took only four days for there to be a less appealing stake race than the Dwyer.
Good thing is that you only have to wait a couple more races after this one to get to that awesome Hollywood Gold Cup. What a joke.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Jerome Park

These races have zero national prestige.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
These races have zero national prestige.
Yep...I have long hated California racing...I really do...the tracks are not fair and the courses are like putting greens...some horses are nice and the trainers are solid, but the fields are absolutely HORRIBLE.....It is not even close to midwestern or NYRA racing IMO...not even close form a horse players standpoint...

THE SINGLE GREATEST MYSTERY IN OUR SPORT TODAY IS WHY IN THE HELL THE BIG PLAYERS SEE CALIFORNIA AS SUCH A GOOD BETTING PROPOSITION!!!! It is freakin' nuts and mind-boggling to see how much they bet out there, especially into the Pick 6s...seems like there is a 6-figure carryover everyday!!!....unreal and probably the single greatest phenomina in our game.....I will never understand it....I am a very regular player and I refuse to even look at California unless it is a big day out there....

I know the big conglomerate players are out there and that Vegas plyers like to wager on the Cali tracks, but why???....Must be a familiarity thing, or maybe they just know that they need to keep playing the Pick 6 out there because they can be assureed that everybody else will and the carryovers and pools are just too big to risk getting away from.....I will say that THE PICK 6 IS THE LONE ATTRACTIVE WAGER ON THE WEST COAST...period..IMO
Old 07-06-2006, 06:41 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Yep...I have long hated California racing...I really do...the tracks are not fair and the courses are like putting greens...some horses are nice and the trainers are solid, but the fields are absolutely HORRIBLE.....It is not even close to midwestern or NYRA racing IMO...not even close form a horse players standpoint...

THE SINGLE GREATEST MYSTERY IN OUR SPORT TODAY IS WHY IN THE HELL THE BIG PLAYERS SEE CALIFORNIA AS SUCH A GOOD BETTING PROPOSITION!!!! It is freakin' nuts and mind-boggling to see how much they bet out there, especially into the Pick 6s...seems like there is a 6-figure carryover everyday!!!....unreal and probably the single greatest phenomina in our game.....I will never understand it....I am a very regular player and I refuse to even look at California unless it is a big day out there....

I know the big conglomerate players are out there and that Vegas plyers like to wager on the Cali tracks, but why???....Must be a familiarity thing, or maybe they just know that they need to keep playing the Pick 6 out there because they can be assureed that everybody else will and the carryovers and pools are just too big to risk getting away from.....I will say that THE PICK 6 IS THE LONE ATTRACTIVE WAGER ON THE WEST COAST...period..IMO
yes i agree 100 prc.. the only reason is the six co...and they even make that a tough grind with the 14 horse mclaimers.. and jocks taking the leap of faith...padroza says TANK YOU BERRY MUCH...
Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Gulfstream Park

I think the Midwest has the best betting opportunities. I agree that Cal racing is dreadful. NYRA is better but they've had some problems with small fields as well. The first half of the July 4 card was sub-horid. Yet the media believes there's two coasts and nothing in between. Nothing more frustrating than watching TVG spend 15 minutes on a 4 horse Hollywood field while races with full fields on the turf at AP gets relegated to tape delay or a stretch run.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Churchill Downs

Even I know, California racing isn't exactly the same as East Coast racing... let's face it, East Coast racing has far more history and tradition - who can beat that? You have more high class horses, owners and trainers - it's a no-brainer. My question is, why don't more East Coast horses come to California to take our short-field, Grade I,II and III purses and then fly back to NY or KY and laugh all the way to the bank? I'll tell you why - because California is like the great wild west - we have fast tracks and horses/trainers that will take chances, and your more conservative trainers and owners are afraid of us. We readily admit that we might not be able to win on your tracks but we're not afraid to try... my question is, why don't your horses come to our tracks to run?

Obviously, I'm just trying to get people to think a little differently... no disrespect indended.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCat
Even I know, California racing isn't exactly the same as East Coast racing... let's face it, East Coast racing has far more history and tradition - who can beat that? You have more high class horses, owners and trainers - it's a no-brainer. My question is, why don't more East Coast horses come to California to take our short-field, Grade I,II and III purses and then fly back to NY or KY and laugh all the way to the bank? I'll tell you why - because California is like the great wild west - we have fast tracks and horses/trainers that will take chances, and your more conservative trainers and owners are afraid of us. We readily admit that we might not be able to win on your tracks but we're not afraid to try... my question is, why don't your horses come to our tracks to run?

Obviously, I'm just trying to get people to think a little differently... no disrespect indended.
Because West coast trianers command too much day rate and overall expenses......the midwest horses can capture as much money with less cost.............
Old 07-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Finally something I think I can be negative on....wow, what a pathetic race.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:

Y'all love to hate anything California, but Y'all still sit around the pickle barrel watchin CNN to see what they be doin out west. It's your future and it looks like poly track is next. Now the trainers do not come out to Cali to take the easy money because they are not sure what they can get away with here. At home they know how to play.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:50 AM
BellamyRd.

this is an insult to humanity
this is a $350 K race and G2 status
seems like some would travel to Dubai for less
I just don't get it
APW and PD have met more times
than Aggasi and Sampras
Old 07-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
I think the Midwest has the best betting opportunities. I agree that Cal racing is dreadful. NYRA is better but they've had some problems with small fields as well. The first half of the July 4 card was sub-horid. Yet the media believes there's two coasts and nothing in between. Nothing more frustrating than watching TVG spend 15 minutes on a 4 horse Hollywood field while races with full fields on the turf at AP gets relegated to tape delay or a stretch run.
Well said...I thnk the Midwest is better to but I'm probably biased...I prefer to bet Churchill, Fair Grounds, Keeneland before I bet any other track in the country - well, except Saratoga of course!!!

My main problem with NYRA racing is that outside of Saratoga there are soooo many State-bred races and I won't even touch those.....but, NYRA racing is FAR better than West coast racing...not even close IMO....
Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Well said...I thnk the Midwest is better to but I'm probably biased...I prefer to bet Churchill, Fair Grounds, Keeneland before I bet any other track in the country - well, except Saratoga of course!!!

My main problem with NYRA racing is that outside of Saratoga there are soooo many State-bred races and I won't even touch those.....but, NYRA racing is FAR better than West coast racing...not even close IMO....
The state bred races always draw full fields and make for great betting events. In addition the very nice purse money(a MSW is 42 grand) insures that guys are trying to get the money. I just don't like all the cheap claiming races on midwest cards. Purses in those events are small and I just dont have full confidence that everyone is giving their all. GIve me NY bred race over a 15 claimer any day of the week. Heck give me a NJ-bred race over a 15 claimer.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
The state bred races always draw full fields and make for great betting events. In addition the very nice purse money(a MSW is 42 grand) insures that guys are trying to get the money. I just don't like all the cheap claiming races on midwest cards. Purses in those events are small and I just dont have full confidence that everyone is giving their all. GIve me NY bred race over a 15 claimer any day of the week. Heck give me a NJ-bred race over a 15 claimer.
I agree completely. I really don't mind at all the NY bred races, good purses, good field size, and pretty good class as a whole.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Cunningham Racing

I can't argue with that point.....I normally won't touch the cheaper races at Churchill Downs either - but then again, I usually don't touch cheap horses at any meet....they are a HORRIBLE bet because you really can't handicap horses when they get to a certain level of cheapness.....most are sore and most are common - that is why they are cheap, thus the Form can never indicate to you which is feeling good on a certain day or feeling bad on a certain day - or even the common ones that wake up and decide to run through their form for the first time in 10 races......Unless I can clearly inspect them in the paddock before the race to try to get a lead then I will not bet cheap horses period.....too many other attractive betting opportunities out there...I usually stay away from condition claimers no matter what the tag is, and $20,000 on up is where I'll bet because on big circuits you can get some decent $2oK claimers that were formerly nice, class horses.....that is why Saratoga is the greatest....NONE of their races are cheap garbage races....every card is usually high quality - even the claimers - and a pleasure to bet on...

As for NYRA-breds...It is just whatever your buzz is.....I can't say that they suck because I would be hypocritical because I love to bet La-breds because I know them very well (But I understand that La-breds suck in the big picture of things)....

Last edited by Cunningham Racing : 07-07-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
California racing is flat out dreadful.
Today's Swaps did nothing to rebut that statement.

Pretty weak show for $350,000 ... but most of the graded racing nationwide this year has been pretty poor ... with a few very dispersed exceptions.