Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Thanks for reposting that. I couldn't remember who said that.

I love those little acronyms ( SOS/LH? ). I'm sure I'm just internet ignorant, and everybody knows what they mean, as I can't believe they would just be some cowardly way to put down somebody who has actually accomplished something in this game....other than masquerading on the internet.
SOS?
LH?

SOS = Son of Sam?

LH = Left handed?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Ellis Park

HH looked great but I want to see him stretch out a little. I guess they already have their 3yr olds so they are looking for a 3yr old sprinter. I would take TMB over him right now.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

My guess is dude is talking about Sense of Style and Lion Heart, but I could be wrong..
Old 07-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
My guess is dude is talking about Sense of Style and Lion Heart, but I could be wrong..
Wow! Excellent job. Of course, who wouldn't have immediately made that conclusion .

Lion Heart? That was one of the more impressive training jobs of recent years. He was second in the Kentucky Derby and Blue Grass despite not wanting to go an inch past a mile.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
...mark it down...after what I saw today at Monmouth, he reaffirmed my belief in him that he is the best sprinter in the country and will be the big fave in the King's Bishop....I think he's better than Lost in the Fog, Songster and Bordonero....we'll see...ironically, I also think Keyed Entry - who scratched - is the 2nd best 3-year-old sprinter in the country but I think he will prove to be better at 7-8 panels around one turn more so than 6 furlongs.....Henny's natural high-cruising speed and efficient stride is as good as any I've seen in the last 5 years....His win today was unreal considering McLaughlin said that he wouldn't be 100%....he was eased up and won by a pole in 1:08 and change...crazy fast
Yep, Joel. You know my opinoion of this horse all ready. That was an unbelievably stunning performance for his first start back. This horse is only going to get better.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:36 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
"for me he is a definite "bet-against" in this race. Off of a layoff this long we can't be sure that he will be back to his 2yo form in his first start, and for that matter I'm not sure that he will EVER return to form."

That is what I said about HH in a different thread before the race. Ha! Sometimes I am so bad at this game that it just makes me laugh.
Great performance.
miraja,

first, noble of you to come back and post your own so wrong prediction. Second, just because this one came out wrong doesn't mean your idea was wrong. If you take the same kind of situation 100 times, maybe you'd be right often enough to be profitable. After the fact it's easy enough to feel brilliant or feel like an idiot. I don't see anything terribly wrong with your before-the-race thinking.

--Dunbar
Old 07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Proud Tower Who?...j/k ...I just don't regard him as one of the top tier sprinters at the 6 furlongs distance....he's a nice horse though...
Damn..... he's injured and out for the rest of the year.

A shame.....
Old 07-07-2006, 10:10 PM
ezrabrooks

Afrashad...if he holds together..

Ez

Last edited by ezrabrooks : 07-08-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
You are a sharp guy, but this is the one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this site. The horse beat absolutely nothing (worse than Funny Cide's competition, which you mocked) and now he is faster than Bordonero. Give it up.
Doesn't matter to me...My ability to evaluate talent has done well for me...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJ
Songster and Henny Hughes aren't the only potential top sprinters from Godolphin. The Sheiks also have Afrashad who won an allowance on Belmont Day in 108.1 after breaking poorly. He's entered in the eighth at Monmouth on Tuesday. Bravo aboard. Their stable is absolutely loaded right now. Bernardini, Jazil, Henny, Songster, Invasor, Discreet Cat and the list goes on.
Afrashad is good...I agree, but after watching his wheels on the Belmont undercard I would be suspect that they will have a good challenge on their hands of keeping that one sound.....OUCH! You have to be pretty close to 100% to win the BC Sprint and I just don't think this horse can be based on what I have seen of his action - by the time he gets to CD in November....we'll see....the Vanderbilt appears to be his acid test...he is certainly fast....hope he stays together...
Old 07-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Arlington Park

It's impossible for me to get overly excited by Henny Hughes.

He's a very nice horse who did what very nice horses are supposed to do to a small field overmatched field on a on lightning fast racetrack. He crushed them.

Lets see what he does when he meets other graded winners.

Lets see what happens when he has to fight to get the trip he wants.

Lets see what he has left in the last 1/16th when he's challenged throughout a race.

I've been watching races and horses a very long time and there's no easier trap to fall into than the horse that wins off easily over inferior competition.

The acid test is not the Vanderbilt, though it figures a far tougher race than the Monmouth romp. The acid test is in November in Louisville.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud

He's a very nice horse who did what very nice horses are supposed to do to a small field overmatched field on a on lightning fast racetrack. He crushed them.

Lets see what he has left in the last 1/16th when he's challenged throughout a race.

I've been watching races and horses a very long time and there's no easier trap to fall into than the horse that wins off easily over inferior competition.

The acid test is not the Vanderbilt, though it figures a far tougher race than the Monmouth romp. The acid test is in November in Louisville.
I think you mean the Amsterdam, but he's not even going there. Kiaran said he's training him straight up to the King's Bishop, which means that on Travers Day, he's one of those "must use" horses who, at the same time, can't be singled, 'cause he could run 40 lengths up the track.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:19 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
I think you mean the Amsterdam, but he's not even going there. Kiaran said he's training him straight up to the King's Bishop, which means that on Travers Day, he's one of those "must use" horses who, at the same time, can't be singled, 'cause he could run 40 lengths up the track.
did I miss something? I haven't been paying much attention to the drf etc.
when did Kiaran say he was going to train up to the King's Bishop?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
did I miss something? I haven't been paying much attention to the drf etc.
when did Kiaran say he was going to train up to the King's Bishop?
Yep...training straight up to that race...should be a dandy with Too Much Bling, Fabulous Strike, Songster, Henny Hughes, Keyed Entry (if he's not dead), etc....

Personally, I beleive Henny Hughes will prove to be the most effective at 6 panels...I really do...I don't care how far he went as a 2YO....if he loses the King's Bishop it will be due to yielding to a bona fide 7 panel horse like Too Much Bling after scrapping it out early with Songster and Fabulous Strike....I still think he wins because I really believe that he is simply faster and more talented than this good 3yo sprint division.....the reason I like him for the BC Sprint is because I really think he developes in 2 or 3 more starts before the that race and will prove to be the best 6 furlong performer in the country along with older horses like Lost in the Fog, Bordonero and Anew.....I think he has more raw talent than the top older horses I mentioned, so that is why I think he can get the job doen in the BC....we'll see....
Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:

Can't disagree here...he has obvious hurdles to leap, but I really think he has all the tools to do so....
Old 07-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Newmarket

Quote:

Another trap that you don't want to fall into is to just assume that an easy romping win over inferior competition means the horse won't cut it when the acid test comes. What I saw in HH's last race was a horse with beautiful mechanics and a very powerful stride rate. There are different types of easy romping wins. for example Afrasaad's (sp?) last race has many people talking about him possibly being one of the best sprinters. Actually I saw some issues with that race and am predicting trouble for him when he tries to step up.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:59 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Yep...training straight up to that race...should be a dandy with Too Much Bling, Fabulous Strike, Songster, Henny Hughes, Keyed Entry (if he's not dead), etc....

Personally, I beleive Henny Hughes will prove to be the most effective at 6 panels...I really do...I don't care how far he went as a 2YO....if he loses the King's Bishop it will be due to yielding to a bona fide 7 panel horse like Too Much Bling after scrapping it out early with Songster and Fabulous Strike....I still think he wins because I really believe that he is simply faster and more talented than this good 3yo sprint division.....the reason I like him for the BC Sprint is because I really think he developes in 2 or 3 more starts before the that race and will prove to be the best 6 furlong performer in the country along with older horses like Lost in the Fog, Bordonero and Anew.....I think he has more raw talent than the top older horses I mentioned, so that is why I think he can get the job doen in the BC....we'll see....
I think he can get 7 or 8 but is easily the best at 6-61/2.
But he did finish ahead of Too much bling in the champagne and the hopefull last year so don't count him out aginst that horse at longer distances. I realize that a lot can change in a year and TMB may have been immature etc. but Henny has ALSO matured a lot this winter! I just think he is a better horse (biased of course.)
I really want to see him keep sprinting but they probably want to vary his distances to pad his stud value, we'll see.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
SOS?
LH?

SOS = Son of Sam?

LH = Left handed?
Dear Boss-

Why do you keep on with these MORONS? SOS=Sense of style who would have been as good as Ruffian if not for that inept MORON biancone.

And LH=Lion Heart, the fastest horse in the 21st century. Our clients made TONS off of this guy before Biancone ruined him.

The arabs got it right this time didnt they boss? HH, as you have been predicting since his maiden, is the fastest horse in the world and we got rich off the last race alone.

Now if only Bobby had listened to you about Cacique...
Old 07-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assttodixie
Dear Boss-

Why do you keep on with these MORONS? SOS=Sense of style who would have been as good as Ruffian if not for that inept MORON biancone.

And LH=Lion Heart, the fastest horse in the 21st century. Our clients made TONS off of this guy before Biancone ruined him.

The arabs got it right this time didnt they boss? HH, as you have been predicting since his maiden, is the fastest horse in the world and we got rich off the last race alone.

Now if only Bobby had listened to you about Cacique...

LOL... Got rich.... lol.