Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-29-2006, 01:23 PM
eurobounce

Default Dwyer Stakes

What, this race is looking real real light. So far, according to the DRF, Da Stoops and Strong Contender are definites.

Here is a portion of the article:

The field for next Tuesday's Grade 2 Dwyer Stakes for 3-year-olds is expected to come up short. As of Wednesday, the only horses considered definite were Da Stoops and Strong Contender. Other possible horses are Keyed Entry, who is entered in the Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup at Monmouth Park on Saturday, and Doc Cheney and Regent Spirit, both of whom are trained by Nick Zito.

Man, can you imagine a 4 horse field for this race--that is insane.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:30 PM
boldruler

Terrible field. More overrated Ward and Baffert horses. You can't expect to get much today for a $150K purse.

I wonder if High Cotton or Like Now is going. I could see both winning it. It is only a 8.5F race.

Last edited by boldruler : 06-29-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 PM
eurobounce

You would think someone would step up and see that this is an easy $90k and enter. Like Now could win this, High Cotton could win this...heck Wonder Lade Anne L could win this race.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
You would think someone would step up and see that this is an easy $90k and enter. Like Now could win this, High Cotton could win this...heck Wonder Lade Anne L could win this race.
Doc Cheney and Strong Contender are both good horses, a $150K race is probably what they should be winning. They aren't great but are good enough for this caliber. I don't think the Dwyer is anything more now than a glorified allowance race. Latent Heat, Ministers Bid, Racketeer, and Flashy Bull all should have gone here instead of an allowance race. Atleast this race is graded.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Doc Cheney and Strong Contender are both good horses, a $150K race is probably what they should be winning. They aren't great but are good enough for this caliber. I don't think the Dwyer is anything more now than a glorified allowance race. Latent Heat, Ministers Bid, Racketeer, and Flashy Bull all should have gone here instead of an allowance race. Atleast this race is graded.
Good point about Latent Heat, Ministers Bid, Racketeer and Flashy Bull. $150k race just doesnt mean much anymore. But that Graded Status is important. I think they should have purse buckets for Graded Races.

Grade I should be no less than $700k in purse
Grade II should be between 400K and $699k
Grade III should be between $100k and $399k
Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Good point about Latent Heat, Ministers Bid, Racketeer and Flashy Bull. $150k race just doesnt mean much anymore. But that Graded Status is important. I think they should have purse buckets for Graded Races.

Grade I should be no less than $700k in purse
Grade II should be between 400K and $699k
Grade III should be between $100k and $399k
That works in the classic division but not in divisions like the sprint or even fillies and mares.