Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Louisiana Downs

Default Miguel Mena

He moves to Churchill for the end of the meet...I don't know why he just left Arlington, I talk to him on a regular basis and he never hinted of leaving Arlington last week. He was strongly thinking about riding in New York after Hawthorne's fall meet....I actually thought he is the best rider at Arlington but never gets the best horses so thats why he doesn't have the best win percentage. Anyone that plays Churchill don't throw this kid out because he is a very hard worker and gets all he can out of every horse.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Gulfstream Park

Only thing I can think is that Churchill has bigger fields. Have to figure Leparoux and Bejarano will move their tack to New York after CD is over. Guidry is coming to Arlington. Borel will likely rule Ellis but after him there isn't much so there should be some live mounts for Mena at the Pea Patch.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:19 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
Only thing I can think is that Churchill has bigger fields. Have to figure Leparoux and Bejarano will move their tack to New York after CD is over. Guidry is coming to Arlington. Borel will likely rule Ellis but after him there isn't much so there should be some live mounts for Mena at the Pea Patch.
Leparoux and Bejarano are moving to Saratoga. Guidry will go to Arlington. Borel and Toupes will dominate Ellis. So that leaves the door open for Mena. I think it is a great move for the kid. The kentucky cirquit is prob the best cirquit for a young rider.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Saratoga

UNREAL...Haber, I was telling you about him 6 weeks ago how much he has improved....Please tell him that I SAID THIS....Decent move, he won't get too many rides at Churchill but he can win the Ellis meet.....
Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Saratoga

What pisses me off about this is that he is still getting decent priced horses home at Arlington, he will get played alot at Ellis I bet.....
Old 06-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Saratoga

Also, for the record, Shane Laviolette is the WORST rider on the Arlington Circuit, but I HAVE A CLOSE CLOSE 2nd to him in Lori Keith, she is absolultely brutal, if Laviolette and her have kids(if they were married) you would get the all time worst rider in horse racing history...

Haber, you see that Laviollete tried to win the early double on me on Saturday, only to get DQed...I WAS LOVING IT....
Old 06-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Louisiana Downs

For the record scav did say that Miguel is vastly improving...last year the kid couldn't ride...this year he takes the rail and wins (probably the only rider that does this at Arlington since guys like Emigh and Torres would rather go 6 wide then go anywhere near the rail). I don't understand why he would rather ride at Ellis then at Arlington though...I think he comes back to Arlington after the Churchill meet....Arlington's purses increase about 3 grand per race starting July 1 and Ellis purses seem to be going down and down and down
Old 06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Saratoga

Haber, it is an easy decision, I think it is a great decision on his end. He can win that meet there, make some money...With Churchill riders invading Arlington for the 2nd half of the meet, he will get less rides....He will get 7-8 rides a day down there....Can't wait to unload on him on the turf
Old 06-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Gulfstream Park

miguels not polished enough as a rider and is a little too ****y in my opinion. put him on closer tho and this kid is a beast! he shouldnta left here, he was riding for some really good barns like bret calhouns! sunday morning when i was by the starting gate watching my trainer flop a 2yo from the gate miguel was sitting behind on another 2yo and was biatchin that he wanted 2 get off the horse lol. hes got some talent but needs a better attitude. hopefully he stays on the straight and narrow, ramsey zimmerman got all the talent in the world but has screwed up time after time
Old 06-28-2006, 03:19 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

he just popped one at 7-1..sweet
Old 06-28-2006, 03:22 PM

i got this tri 5 times if it stays..put the 9 for 3rd dammit
Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Flemington

I don't understand how they can let that 9 stay up for 2nd.Absolutely destroyed the 8 horse (the guy barely stayed on the horse.)I really do think they take into account who is the favorite,and if the public will be pssd if the favorite gets dqd.That wasn't what Bro Derrick did in the HWD FUTURITY.This WASN'T ONE JOLT.This continued much too long to be ignored.THIS HORSE ANGLED IN SEVERELY AND KEPT ANGLING IN SEVERELY(half the field had to take up to avoid the 8 horse that he knocked over in front of them.It doesn't bother my bets,but I just don't understand that at all.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:44 PM

rafie has juice...and if he didnt get hit back in the str i would have dqd him for sure..
Old 06-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habersham000
For the record scav did say that Miguel is vastly improving...last year the kid couldn't ride...this year he takes the rail and wins (probably the only rider that does this at Arlington since guys like Emigh and Torres would rather go 6 wide then go anywhere near the rail). I don't understand why he would rather ride at Ellis then at Arlington though...I think he comes back to Arlington after the Churchill meet....Arlington's purses increase about 3 grand per race starting July 1 and Ellis purses seem to be going down and down and down
I don't see Emigh and Torres going 6 wide on the turf. You see them going 3-4 wide on the dirt at Arlington but for the first 4-5 weeks of the meet that was the best part of the racetrack. Anything near the rail had no chance up until the past week-10 days.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
I don't see Emigh and Torres going 6 wide on the turf. You see them going 3-4 wide on the dirt at Arlington but for the first 4-5 weeks of the meet that was the best part of the racetrack. Anything near the rail had no chance up until the past week-10 days.
The only one that is wider then Torres is Eddie Perez.....Saturday was the first time he has shot the rail since he started riding Arlington this year (High Expectations) The hotter it gets at Arlington, the harder the rail gets, thus the longer speed will hold....

This is right around the time that speed starts to dominate Arlington and if it spits outside they pull turf races off because it has to be PERFECT for double d.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Gulfstream Park

I doubt the inside will stay good, or even ok. The rail was terrible virtually the entire 2005 meet.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Louisiana Downs

My brother Scav I hope you were all over that Mena horse at Churchill....just got back from trackside and he made my day very good...

JJP let me know when you see Torres on the rail after it opens up on the turn.....you never will because he is already 6 wide....Mena is one of the nicest riders I have ever meet playa, I bet he was joking, he jokes around alot.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Saratoga

You go to work on your off days? Can't get enough of Arlington can you?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
You go to work on your off days? Can't get enough of Arlington can you?
Nope can't get enough....I live there 6 days a week it seems like.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habersham000
Nope can't get enough....I live there 6 days a week it seems like.
Habersham, do you ever work at Trackside? If so doing what? I'm trying to figure out who you are. I know I must have crossed paths with you hundreds of times.