Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
The betting public has noting to do with the day rate or the purse % the jockey gets. The Jockey Guild needs to get support from all the celebs., that are a the Kentucky Derby to help with the cause. In the end the betting pool and purse pool will most likely have to pay for their medical and long term disablity.
Ummmm, who do you think funds the purses from which the jockey's recieve, at least, the bulk of their pay?

That would be the bettors. Those same bettors these same jockeys were looking to tax even more in Kentucky recently to cover their insurance.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Santa Anita

Jackson lacks credibility. His racist tendencies are troublesome.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:06 PM
pgardn

Pat Buchanan of the left. Out for himself. Exploits hatred. Sharpton is worse though.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
There isn't a person out there that cares less about black people than Jesse Jackson. He exploits the difficulties blacks face in order to line his pockets. Any guy who calls himself Reverand and is worth millions is a crook. That goes for the Pat Robertson types too, before anyone goes throwing the racist card at me. Jesse Jackson is an atrocious human being and racing should stay as far away as possible.

Maybe I should start representing whites because the NBA is racist. LOL.
I agree 100%!!! He's a manipulating con artist. He's also a cheater... I have met him a few times and he cheats on his wife and is a hypocrite.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
The Curragh

Why would a Jockey want him representing them? Has he ever held a position, any position, in this industry? If I am a Jockey, I want someone who knows the business representing me, someone who has an established reputation in the business.

Dosen't Jesse Jackson have more important things to worry about?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Jerome Park

Maybe Jesse Jackson saw how easily Tim Smith fleeced and fooled the racing establishment and figured the industry was ripe for picking.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Washington Park

Default Jackson

This Guy Sticks His Mug In Everyones Business. Lets Hope He Steps In Something Brown!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Samm

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
As someone who has actually met Jesse, I disagree strongly! Certainly he has made his share of mistakes, both in his personal life as well as publically, but the man has dedicated his life to a cause and while he has profited somewhat, that alone can't discredit him! Dr King trusted him...that has always been enough for me. Jesse will bring considerable clout and can get things done! Nobody is saying the owners aren't doing their part but the track owners (lets look closely at crooks like Magna for example) certainly must do more! It's easy to be critical of someone like Jesse...but he and Al Sharpton, for all their shortcomings, continue to be the social critics this culture needs.
Im sure his wife felt that way too!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
As someone who has actually met Jesse, I disagree strongly! Certainly he has made his share of mistakes, both in his personal life as well as publically, but the man has dedicated his life to a cause and while he has profited somewhat, that alone can't discredit him! Dr King trusted him...that has always been enough for me. Jesse will bring considerable clout and can get things done! Nobody is saying the owners aren't doing their part but the track owners (lets look closely at crooks like Magna for example) certainly must do more! It's easy to be critical of someone like Jesse...but he and Al Sharpton, for all their shortcomings, continue to be the social critics this culture needs.
Somer, I have met Jesse too, and I disagree with you. He uses other blacks to line his pockets. He is close friends with a HUGE attorney down in south Florida that I know personally, and I was "lucky" enough to meet Jesse on numerous occasions. It is SAD what he has done and that is JMO.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Hialeah Park

DUHH me...I thought NYRA had problems...

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...64741&subsec=1
Old 06-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Gulfstream Park

The race isn't the Kentucky Derby anymore.

Its the YUM! Kentucky Derby

OK, I'm biased being a shareholder.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
The race isn't the Kentucky Derby anymore.

Its the YUM! Kentucky Derby

OK, I'm biased being a shareholder.
JJP,
Not for nothin' but the article I posted was about Manley and Jackson taking over the Jockey's Guild.
btw, isn't Anheuiser- Busch taking over the sponsorship? Or am I really uninformed?
DTS
Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Gulfstream Park

Actually I think you're right. I just saw something about it on another site. A couple of posts in the thread earlier mentioned the Kentucky Derby, which I guess now is the Amheuser-Busch Kentucky Derby, not the Yum! Kentucky Derby.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 PM
ezrabrooks

Quote:
Somer, I respect your opinion of JJ, although I don't share same. I am afraid that your use of "considerable clout" will equal some kinda "blackmail".
Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Havre de Grace

Already said my peice about Jesse, but as a humble servant of the people he carts away close to 2 mill in cash and perks every year.