Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Saratoga

He's a fool...not as bad as a Wedgie, but a fool.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
Well actually...

WHIFFLE BALL: Indians’ batters lead the American League in strikeouts with 938.
!!

Could you say we should look for a first baseperson for next year?

Maybe 3rd as well....frankly,if we can boost the hitting a little I'd be very happy with O'Hanahan.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Santa Anita

crap clyde, just when things come together they come apart again. Kipnis officially on DL now (oblique AND hamstring). We get more Valbuena!! As long as he only plays 2nd base it's ok. It was brutal when he had to play left field those two games in Minny.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
!!

Could you say we should look for a first baseperson for next year?

Maybe 3rd as well....frankly,if we can boost the hitting a little I'd be very happy with O'Hanahan.
I think it's Santana at 1st base. Word is he's a brutal catcher, and the pitching stats differential with marson and santana behind the plate is significant...especially with Exhausto (he's like 3.50 ERA with Marson and 5.60 with Santana). Santana can't play first well either, but it's less of a problem than with him at catcher. His hitting potential is too great too to waste him at catcher. AFter his knee blowup last year he's also afraid to block the plate too to go along with his other issues back there. I do think that's gonna happen sooner rather than later...Santana at first exclusively. marson and hannahan are identical players. Superb defensively but simply don't hit enough for full time play...it's a shame.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I think it's Santana at 1st base. Word is he's a brutal catcher, and the pitching stats differential with marson and santana behind the plate is significant...especially with Exhausto (he's like 3.50 ERA with Marson and 5.60 with Santana). Santana can't play first well either, but it's less of a problem than with him at catcher. His hitting potential is too great too to waste him at catcher. AFter his knee blowup last year he's also afraid to block the plate too to go along with his other issues back there. I do think that's gonna happen sooner rather than later...Santana at first exclusively. marson and hannahan are identical players. Superb defensively but simply don't hit enough for full time play...it's a shame.
Salient points I had thought about recently...ssssso true. One more year and it's D.H. Santana.

I think at catcher defense should never be sacrificed...and I don't know if we have a choice at third.If they can get all the hitting from the other guys then they're fine, considering the way the pitching should go.They just need a better 6th starter and it's gang busters there..
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
crap clyde, just when things come together they come apart again. Kipnis officially on DL now (oblique AND hamstring). We get more Valbuena!! As long as he only plays 2nd base it's ok. It was brutal when he had to play left field those two games in Minny.
Oh my God.

thud
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Salient points I had thought about recently...ssssso true. One more year and it's D.H. Santana.

I think at catcher defense should never be sacrificed...and I don't know if we have a choice at third.If they can get all the hitting from the other guys then they're fine, considering the way the pitching should go.They just need a better 6th starter and it's gang busters there..
I read in the last Detroit series, Asdrubal absolutely lambasted Santana in the dugout when Carlos messed up an easy play at first in the Exhausto/Verlander game...turns out that unearned run cost them the game....this was the game after Kipnis called him off a foul ball and Santana caught it anyway. Nice to see from Asdrubal who flat out let him have it in the dugout and perhaps at that point became the undisputed leader of the team if he wasn't already. Kid at some point has to learn that defense isn't the time simply in between at bats. But you would think if he hasn't learned it at this point, he never will.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Saratoga

Ran across that one,too.

Not exactly what you want to hear.At least we know LaPorta isn't the guy.

And no...not Valbuena!

=:>
Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Saratoga

D.H. Hafnah struck out first time up.Think he's going for 3 again tonight.Wasn't his average .341 just before going DL? It's .287 now.

I'd love to be a pitcher and get the signals from Brown Sugah.

That one was rhetorical.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Josh Tomlin's ERA would be about 14 if he were on the Tigers. Lucky for him, Cleveland plays pretty solid defense.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Saratoga

snort!!

How is There's Jhonny doing defensively?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Wow. Blues not helping out the Tiggers at all in this 7th inning. WOrst missed 3rd strike call I've just about ever seen on Chisenhall.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Saratoga

yay
Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Santa Anita

that's Tomlin's bugaboo...the long one. Gives up a ton of homers. Scherzer was great last night. Their number 2 destroyed us. Not a good beginning. Hey slot dirt, the blues couldn't have been worse than that perfect game robbery last year (or was it just a no-hitter, can't remember)!!! Quit complaining, they got the three home run calls right! (and call me crazy, but I have to think a shaky call or two has gone the Tigers way against the Tribe in the last 100 plus years!)
Old 08-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Santa Anita

incredibly, the lions 3rd and 4th stringers are way, way better than the Brownies ones. The colt continues to play well in fake football games.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 AM
Santa Anita

classic stuff here!!

Chicago White Sox

Can’t talk about the Chicago White Sox without expressing a pure, unadulterated hatred for Ozzie Guillen. Not much elaboration needs to be made here because I’m pretty sure Ozzie’s middle name is an orifice that ends in –hole, but I can say with complete conviction that his choking gesture during the final week of the 2005 season sealed the deal.

The term “Indian killer” doesn’t just apply to white settlers during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, it applies to everybody who has ever worn a White Sox uniform. Lately, public enemy number one seems to be Carlos Quentin. Then, of course, there’s Paul Konerko who seems to have a 1.500 OPS against the Indians and Adam Dunn, who can’t hit an elephant with a golf ball but can hit Indians pitching like a Hall of Famer.

I can’t believe I went two paragraphs without mentioning uber-douche AJ Pierzynski. Usually the runaway winner of the biggest jerk in baseball award, his bleach blonde hair makes me want to shave his head with a machete. The way he slams his bat down every time he hits a ground ball as if he’s supposed to be a .370 hitter screams of pretentious arrogance that only a mother could love. A motherf’er like Ozzie Guillen, that is.

Also, I can’t say I have ever been to Comiskey, er, US Cellular Field, but I’ve been told that there are safer neighborhoods in Mogadishu than where US Cellular has been constructed. A garbage ballpark in a garbage neighborhood with a bunch of grimy Windy City residents, probably half of them armed and three-fourths of them too wide to fit through a standard doorway, I’m in no hurry to ever see it.

Oh, yeah, and then there’s Hawk Harrelson. If there was an award for most intolerable sports broadcaster, this clown would even beat Joe Buck. That’s saying something. It really is. If Hawk Harrelson’s vocal cords were to spontaneously combust, there would be dancing in the streets in Athens, Greece. They wouldn’t even know who he is; they would just subconsciously know they should celebrate.

Detroit Tigers

Ah, where to begin with these mouth breathers. I’ll guess I’ll begin with Jim Leyland, who is pretty lucky to be breathing at all. At some point, 75 years of smoking Pall Malls will catch up with Smokey Anderson, but it hasn’t happened yet. Nothing really against his persona or his managing style, I guess, I just wish he’d shave off that grey flavor savor and retire to a smoker’s colony in South Florida. Then again, maybe the secondhand smoke will begin taking its toll on his players.

Then, there’s the fact that a vast percentage of their fan base is made up of Michigan fans. Again, very little explanation needs to be done here because everything from Michigan is inherently loathesome including the maize and blue. Unfortunately, in the War of 1812, the United States actually battled for the port city of Detroit. Now that the automobile industry is on life support, and the multi-building monstrosity of Government Motors looms over the city, I’d be fine with giving it to Canada. There’s a reason I stay and play at Caesars Windsor in Ontario rather than stay in Detroit, and it’s not the pretty colored Monopoly money or a burning desire to hear “aboot” and “eh”.

Factor in the overall arrogance of their players, capped off by Carlos Guillen showing up Jered Weaver a couple weeks back. Then there’s Miguel Cabrera’s smirk any time he does anything – fields a routine grounder, hits a single to CF, brushes his teeth in the morning, etc. Then there’s Jhonny Peralta with his chinstrap beard and fat face, showing that same apathetic expression that inexplicably turned him from a .270 hitter to a .320 hitter. Add in Jose Valverde who uses every converted save as his “Asshole NFL Wide Receiver Touchdown Dance” Audition Tape.

Beating them just seems satisfying no matter the circumstances. When we’re 20 games out in September or in MLB The Show. Whether they’re 25 games out or in Spring Training. It’s just enjoyable.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM
Saratoga

Not bad, but your verse is better.Who did that?

Out current budding super pitcher star goes tonight.

And we didn'un have to give up the farm for him.

Bet he shuts down Detroit.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Not bad, but your verse is better.Who did that?

Out current budding super pitcher star goes tonight.

And we didn'un have to give up the farm for him.

Bet he shuts down Detroit.
Some guy on a cleveland fan web site, don't know his name...I could look it up. I pull a lot of stuff from that site, they are much better than the professional Cleveland sports media despite not being professionals although a couple guys who write there might be. clevelandfan.com or something. I wanted 3-3 this road trip and If Huff doesn't do it, don't worry, we got the great O Bald O going Sunday! He never loses. (theclevelandfan.com this one was by Adam Burke)
Old 08-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Saratoga

Was a little too "cool" for me.

Anyhoo----good stuff.

I''m thinking Colorado is stifling many guffaws.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Was a little too "cool" for me.

Anyhoo----good stuff.

I''m thinking Colorado is stifling many guffaws.
I post on the forum over there sometimes, but I got a lot of backlash presenting stats stating we pretty much traded for a comp of Fausto Carmona and Carlos Carrasco this year and there was plenty of stats that you could argue that Obaldo was not even as good as them. They did not like me much at all for doing that especially when I stated all they did was attack Exhausto and Carrasco all year, rightly so in some cases yet this guy comes who is the same and you same people talk about a savior of the city. I felt pride though when after the game Tuesday and they were bemoaning the Exhausto/Buehrle matchup I flat out said in a post "Fausto is better than Jimenez" You should have seen the reaction that got!!