Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 AM
The Curragh

Sunday dinner at Sperry's was also very enjoyable. After day of emptying coolers at the Track in the rain, anything more refined would have likely been lost on our crew.

The House Patte Plate was a big hit and everyone had the steak Au Poivre. All cooked perfectly to order. Not much drinking by us at dinner, but we ordered a ton off apps and the bill for our party of 8 was less than $50 a head including tip. Everyone left happy
For a group after the track, I would definitely do it again.

On track - the Hatties Fried Chicken sandwich and cucumber salad are well worth checking out.

Back to work, I think I will have a salad today...
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy
We.nt to Beverly's for breakfast for the first time yesterday. I'm pretty confident in saying it is among the best breakfast food I have ever eaten.

The blueberry pancakes were like electric chair good.
Use to practically live there. Well I actually lived in the closest house to Beverly's (corner of Phila & Henry) and ate at Bevs 4-5 times a week for about 5 years. The food is outstanding there but the prices are just plain silly and I have never been a huge fan of their service.

Blueberry pancakes are probably my favorite breakfast food and Beverlys does them better than anywhere else in Saratoga.

Did you have the coffee there? When I use to go there, they served Green Mountain, which isnt bad, but not that good either.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Flemington

Damn, we ate at Denny's every morning.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Use to practically live there. Well I actually lived in the closest house to Beverly's (corner of Phila & Henry) and ate at Bevs 4-5 times a week for about 5 years. The food is outstanding there but the prices are just plain silly and I have never been a huge fan of their service.

Blueberry pancakes are probably my favorite breakfast food and Beverlys does them better than anywhere else in Saratoga.

Did you have the coffee there? When I use to go there, they served Green Mountain, which isnt bad, but not that good either.
Yup. Green mountain coffee in the jugs like a hotel lobby. That part was just OK.

Sat outside and agree the service was a bit lacking as far as attentiveness. Food more than made up for it though.

The breakfast sausage had some different seasoning. Think maybe it was some curry, delicious My brother got Crab Benedict which was also outstanding. Pancakes were the icing...

I guess I am just used to the "silly" prices we get stuck paying for food in NYC/Long Island. More than a diner, but worth it in my estimation.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Del Mar

A good compromise between Dennys and Beverlys (you couldnt possibly get more polar opposites), is the Spring Street Deli. Better known for its delicious lunch time sandwiches, Spring Street Deli has very good breakfast sandwiches served on hard rolls. Their egg sandwiches are tasty and they get you your food fast and if you want to sit there, there are plenty of seats.

Located less than 1/2 mile from the racetrack, on the corners of Spring & Court (off of Union Ave). Highly recommend it!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy
Yup. Green mountain coffee in the jugs like a hotel lobby. That part was just OK.

Sat outside and agree the service was a bit lacking as far as attentiveness. Food more than made up for it though.

The breakfast sausage had some different seasoning. Think maybe it was some curry, delicious My brother got Crab Benedict which was also outstanding. Pancakes were the icing...

I guess I am just used to the "silly" prices we get stuck paying for food in NYC/Long Island. More than a diner, but worth it in my estimation.
Glad you liked it... You are making me hungry and I may cave, and go there tomorrow!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Bowie

the big apple---heading towards Malta
Old 04-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Randwyck

Have either lived or vacationed in the Saratoga environs since I was a kid.

Suggestions for places to eat - 2010

During the meet, we rarely go downtown Saratoga to eat. The place is a zoo, and I don't think the restaurants are all that good to begin with and most are overpriced. Don't mind paying premium prices for a meal if it's a premium meal. Really haven't been able to find that in downtown Saratoga. Loved when Chez Sophie was in that little diner on Route 9 just going into Saratoga.

A few places we'll go to off Broadway in Saratoga

The Parting Glass - great place if you're hungry. I go there just because I love their draft birch beer.

The Horse Shoe - across from the track on Nelson Ave. - breakfast and lunch are great. Pretty crowded and very noisy after the races. Not particularly fond of their dinners.

Sushi Tai on Phila Street. I don't eat sushi, but they have an extensive Tai menu.

Edit to add on Broadway - Broadway Pizzeria - I think it's the best pizza in the area.

Ballston Spa

Augies has already been mentioned, but we never go there during the meet. They don't take reservations, and your clothes will go out of style waiting for a table. It's busy enough before and after the meet.

51 Front Street is a relatively new restaurant /wine bar and quite good.

Galway

If you want to drive out Route 29 from Saratoga, there's the Village Pizzeria. Wonderful italian food.

A little further up Route 29 on Galway Lake is the Cock & Bull. Best beef in the area.

Lake George

Blue Water - lovely sitting out on their open air deck at sunset. Food's pretty much standard fare - but good and reasonably priced.

South Glens Falls - Route 9

Luisa's - on the short list of my favorite Italian restaurants. I loathe Sergio's.

Fitzgerald's - great food. Kind of on the order of Winslow's (another great place), and their food is just as good.

Bolton Landing

If you feel like taking a drive on Saratoga Tuesday, go up Route 9 out of Lake George to Bolton Landing. The Sagamore Hotel's outside/lakeside restaurant for lunch. Heaven.

There's also the Lakeside Lodge on the main drag that's nice for lunch - a covered outside porch.

Don't know why, but we've yet to eat at The Wishing Well. Must put it on the agenda for this year.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton

Last edited by Princess Doreen : 04-26-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post

The Parting Glass - great place if you're hungry. I go there just because I love their draft birch beer.
I don't usually eat there. But that freakin shuffleboard table of theirs is a blast...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM
The Curragh

Looks like Sperry's is still for sale. Assume they will be open for Track season though.

http://www.realtysaratoga.com/
Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM
The Curragh

Leon's for Mexican

Shirley's for Breakfast

George's on Lake George for Dinner

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Idlewild Airport

I like the Cherry Tomato in Lake George area.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
The Curragh

The Bread Basket Bakery.... pies for certain trainers... and pastries for the AM works

Old 07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Washington Park

b/c I can't let a places to eat in Erie post trump this one....

How about a Dunkin' Donuts Daily Double...true.

http://blog.timesunion.com/tablehopp...-track-season/

But no Dunkin Donuts on track...weak.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
Have either lived or vacationed in the Saratoga environs since I was a kid.

Suggestions for places to eat - 2010

During the meet, we rarely go downtown Saratoga to eat. The place is a zoo, and I don't think the restaurants are all that good to begin with and most are overpriced. Don't mind paying premium prices for a meal if it's a premium meal. Really haven't been able to find that in downtown Saratoga. Loved when Chez Sophie was in that little diner on Route 9 just going into Saratoga.

A few places we'll go to off Broadway in Saratoga

The Horse Shoe - across from the track on Nelson Ave. - breakfast and lunch are great. Pretty crowded and very noisy after the races. Not particularly fond of their dinners.

Sushi Tai on Phila Street. I don't eat sushi, but they have an extensive Tai menu.

Edit to add on Broadway - Broadway Pizzeria - I think it's the best pizza in the area.

Ballston Spa

Augies has already been mentioned, but we never go there during the meet. They don't take reservations, and your clothes will go out of style waiting for a table. It's busy enough before and after the meet.

51 Front Street is a relatively new restaurant /wine bar and quite good.

Galway

If you want to drive out Route 29 from Saratoga, there's the Village Pizzeria. Wonderful italian food.

A little further up Route 29 on Galway Lake is the Cock & Bull. Best beef in the area.

Lake George

Blue Water - lovely sitting out on their open air deck at sunset. Food's pretty much standard fare - but good and reasonably priced.

South Glens Falls - Route 9

Luisa's - on the short list of my favorite Italian restaurants. I loathe Sergio's.

Fitzgerald's - great food. Kind of on the order of Winslow's (another great place), and their food is just as good.

Bolton Landing

If you feel like taking a drive on Saratoga Tuesday, go up Route 9 out of Lake George to Bolton Landing. The Sagamore Hotel's outside/lakeside restaurant for lunch. Heaven.

There's also the Lakeside Lodge on the main drag that's nice for lunch - a covered outside porch.

Don't know why, but we've yet to eat at The Wishing Well. Must put it on the agenda for this year.

Would ya say The Printheth might be a fatty??
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

the ripe tomato.. zuccini flowers,, and the arltichoke app. to die for

that pizza place in glenns falls..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead View Post
the ripe tomato.. zuccini flowers,, and the arltichoke app. to die for

that pizza place in Glens Falls..

"Talk of the Town" off exit 18 or the "Harvest" off exit 19.... both have great pizza

Old 07-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Bowie

Cella's Bistro in Schenectady is the best restaurant in the area. Worth the half hour drive from Saratoga Springs.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Saratoga

This is going to make Vegas Vets look like a play pen.

blech!!

Who the fucl< cares??
Old 07-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Washington Park

Thanks to whomever suggested the bruschetta at Ripe Tomato. Killer.

That place has quickly become one of my favorite restaurants in the area.