Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Danzig2

lava man and bernardini are comparable to war admiral and seabiscuit?!?! now that's a hoot! oh lord...next it'll be nashua and swaps. affirmed and alydar. sonny and cher...oh wait, maybe not that last set!!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
The Curragh

this is insane comparing Seabiscuit to Lava Man what an insult to Biscuit
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Myself not included... I'm one of the few on here (yourself included ) that would like to see more before I annoint him the next great one. The horse is definitely talented, but I'm now bowing down just yet.
That's right!! If he wins the BCC i'll concede he's the best. However, I have my doubts about the Bernardini crowd if he loses. I'm sure it'll be excuse city if he doesn't win.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:23 PM
The Curragh

only horse that belongs with those great name is Bernardini
Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
only horse that belongs with those great name is Bernardini
So, you're saying that Bernardini is great? He's run 7 times... I'm sorry, but I just can't concede to him being a great horse after 7 starts.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Balletto

Quote:
Myself not included... I'm one of the few on here (yourself included ) that would like to see more before I annoint him the next great one. The horse is definitely talented, but I'm now bowing down just yet.
ditto. i guess im just hard to impress.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:39 PM
FairPlay

Actually the bigger insult goes to War Admiral than to Seabiscuit in the Bernardini-Lava Man comparison.

Take a close look at Seabiscuit's race record...a lower winning percentage for his career than Lava Man at this time and probably if you look at the stakes races, fewer Grade 1 equivalent wins than Lava Man over a longer career. The Grade 1's that I see for Seabiscuit are the HGC, SA 'Cap, Pimlico Special and maybe the San Juan Capistrano when it was run on dirt.

What separates Seabiscuit from Lava Man and potentially any other handicap horse in this era are the times of his races and the weights that he carried. Those factors made him wildly special (plus beating a Triple Crown winner mano-a-mano) and an absolute legend for all-time.

To compare Bernardini to War Admiral at this stage of Bernardini's career is just plain nuts in my opinion. War Admiral won the equivalent of at least 6 of today's Grade 1's and probably 7 as the Widener was Hialeah's signature race during its golden era as well as being a Triple Crown winner.

Last edited by FairPlay : 10-09-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Danzig2

i also am more amazed at comparing bernardini to war admiral. how many records did WA set? broke more than one of his old mans....belmont record set with 1/4th of one hoof ripped off and blood flying with every step. the injury was so severe they thought they might have to retire him...
Old 10-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Good God...I said on a "smaller scale"...some of you look to bitch about something, I swear...the stories are VERY similar to me if you institute modern day racing with the way racing was back then in the depression era....
Old 10-09-2006, 02:47 PM
FairPlay

Cunningham,

Dick Jerardi at DRF validated you anyway with an article entitled "Lava Man: The Seabiscuit of Today." Just do a DRF archive search for this year soon after the running of the HGC. I wouldn't let mean-spirited people get you down.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairPlay
Cunningham,

Dick Jerardi at DRF validated you anyway with an article entitled "Lava Man: The Seabiscuit of Today." Just do a DRF archive search for this year soon after the running of the HGC. I wouldn't let mean-spirited people get you down.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Nobody is giving him a chance? Well there goes your credibility right there with that ignorant statement.
Holy cow..ITS A FIGURE OF SPEECH!!! Hell, Brother Derek will be 25-1 so theorectically he has a "chance", although all analysts will say he has NO chance, but obviously somebody will bet on the horse - get it?

Some people on this board.....wow

Remember the Seabiscuit story..nobody gave him a chance to beat War Admiral from a non-literal standpoint...
Old 10-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Cunningham Racing

Pillow Pants would knock sliced bread, and then wine about the butter he spreads on it.....some people are just like that
Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Holy cow..ITS A FIGURE OF SPEECH!!! Hell, Brother Derek will be 25-1 so theorectically he has a "chance", although all analysts will say he has NO chance, but obviously somebody will bet on the horse - get it?

Some people on this board.....wow

Remember the Seabiscuit story..nobody gave him a chance to beat War Admiral from a non-literal standpoint...
Every analyst says he has no chance? Where are your sources?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Pillow Pants would knock sliced bread, and then wine about the butter he spreads on it.....some people are just like that
You'd kill a girl just to take her place in the harem, you insufferable jackass.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You'd have been the one on the sidelines booing the Biscuit... you of little faith...
Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Every analyst says he has no chance? Where are your sources?
Again my slow friend, 'every' is a figure of speech.....geez...unbelievalbe....
Old 10-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Balletto

Hey now! Lets talk about something we can all agree on... Cajun looks good in lace and whiskey. And Pink Floyd was neither pink nor named Floyd.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Hey now! Lets talk about something we can all agree on... Cajun looks good in lace and whiskey.
LMAO!

How did I get brought into this?!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Balletto

Quote:
LMAO!

How did I get brought into this?!
Well I certainly wasnt going to use myself as the scape goat!