Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Thistley Downs

Default sanctimonious opinion thread...green monkey spinoff

Last edited by paisjpq : 03-30-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Arlington Park

It's wrong to mock someone under the guise of 'playful teasing' then cyberblast them to the moon when they object. To each his own. PG85, you keep on with the opinions. I wouldn't take any of it too seriously ... after all, everybody posting here -- in the 'industry' or not -- is a horse racing junkie to some extent.

There are days when you sweep the card. There are also days when they sweep the floor with your a ss.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Santa Anita

BE NICE!

There, I thought the board needed it.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Jerome Park

Sorry, but this " be nice " foolishness, or people whining they are getting " picked on", is all a bunch of sanctimonious crap. There are plenty of people with EDUCATED good opinions around here that frequently differ, and through that we get some interesting debate, but NOBODY should have to apologize or feel bad for making light of uneducated and indefensible opinions ( most likely only posted to attempt to draw attention to that poster ).

Be nice? Phuck that. I say, argue away, because that's what helps people learn, but enter the fray at your own risk.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Sorry, but this " be nice " foolishness, or people whining they are getting " picked on", is all a bunch of sanctimonious crap. There are plenty of people with EDUCATED good opinions around here that frequently differ, and through that we get some interesting debate, but NOBODY should have to apologize or feel bad for making light of uneducated and indefensible opinions ( most likely only posted to attempt to draw attention to that poster ).

Be nice? Phuck that. I say, argue away, because that's what helps people learn, but enter the fray at your own risk.
It's good to be made aware of how you feel.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:

Big bad BTW. Be nice. Just saying you can disagree with someone but you don't have to be nasty about it. I disagree with you, but I don't have to do it nastily.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 PM
pgardn

Quote:

Im sure if people here met at the track we would see some really nice people. But personally I read the posts to learn how others feel about this very interesting game. There are so many interesting facets. When people make fairly bold claims, and they are challenged by reasonable opinions, it makes for some very good reading.

So I hope to see frays remain frequent, and civil. One of the best ways to learn imo. Guess it depends on why you come here and post, or why some of us enjoy the reading.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Big bad BTW. Be nice. Just saying you can disagree with someone but you don't have to be nasty about it. I disagree with you, but I don't have to do it nastily.

There isn't anything even remotely nasty in this thread.....yet.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Idlewild Airport

This isn't the place to sing koom bay yah and it shouldn't be.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
This isn't the place to sing koom bay yah and it shouldn't be.

Kum Baya.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Coach Pants

What this thread needs is a little more compassionate conservatism.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Kum Baya.
A google search told me to spell it that way.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Monmouth Park

I think you're all fishing.

Dinner didn't go well?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

If anyone construes anything around here as truly nasty, read back to see where it started.

There isn't much on this forum that would actually qualify as "nasty" by any definition of the word.

When people say stupid things, they get taken to task. It should be therapy for those who can't seem to help saying stupid things...but if they keep coming back for more, they'll keep getting taken out back for it.

It's sure happened to me in my life before, and guess what? I'm smart enough to not bitch and moan, but to wonder why people got feisty in the first place. It's amazing how being honest about one's former idiotic statements becomes a really good deterrent against making them again in the future.

But if it's spouting just for the sake of spouting, then I would take the stance that you get what you ask for -- which is the whole thing we're encountering anyway.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Kum Baya.
Actually another search put it as one word

kumbaya....So there it is.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
If anyone construes anything around here as truly nasty, read back to see where it started.

There isn't much on this forum that would actually qualify as "nasty" by any definition of the word.

When people say stupid things, they get taken to task. It should be therapy for those who can't seem to help saying stupid things...but if they keep coming back for more, they'll keep getting taken out back for it.

It's sure happened to me in my life before, and guess what? I'm smart enough to not bitch and moan, but to wonder why people got feisty in the first place. It's amazing how being honest about one's former idiotic statements becomes a really good deterrent against making them again in the future.

But if it's spouting just for the sake of spouting, then I would take the stance that you get what you ask for -- which is the whole thing we're encountering anyway.
And just who shall be the grand arbiter of determining a posted comment is stupid, uneducated, indefensible or made just to seek attention (never understood that one)? You? Me? Somebody else? Bullsh1t. If someone like a horse what does it matter how many people agree with his opinion? And if you don't agree with someone's opinion, that doesn't mean it's bad, it only means you think it's bad. Some difference there. Any honest horseplayer alive will tell you he's been beat by a horse he's had a bad opinion of. Guess what, that same horse made other people good money.

Crazy sh1t happens in horse racing every day. If you take it seriously enough you can and will find opportunities that 9 out of 10 of the top-shelf, 'name-brand' handicappers miss. The day you single or press a winning 20-1 in a successful p-3 or p-4 based on something you see or think, these same people will tell you you stabbed and got lucky. You'll know better.

Education and experience are overrated, by the way. Education gets you your first job. Experience gets you your second job. After that, it's all performance.

As an aside, didn't someone on this board like Summer Book in the Sunshne Millions race and was ridiculed to no end on this forum?
Old 03-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud

Education and experience are overrated, by the way. Education gets you your first job. Experience gets you your second job. After that, it's all performance.
If that were true then George W. Bush would be sweeping floors for a living.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
And just who shall be the grand arbiter of determining a posted comment is stupid, uneducated, indefensible or made just to seek attention (never understood that one)? You? Me? Somebody else? Bullsh1t. If someone like a horse what does it matter how many people agree with his opinion? And if you don't agree with someone's opinion, that doesn't mean it's bad, it only means you think it's bad. Some difference there. Any honest horseplayer alive will tell you he's been beat by a horse he's had a bad opinion of. Guess what, that same horse made other people good money.

Crazy sh1t happens in horse racing every day. If you take it seriously enough you can and will find opportunities that 9 out of 10 of the top-shelf, 'name-brand' handicappers miss. The day you single or press a winning 20-1 in a successful p-3 or p-4 based on something you see or think, these same people will tell you you stabbed and got lucky. You'll know better.

As an aside, didn't someone on this board like Summer Book in the Sunshne Millions race and was ridiculed to no end on this forum?

There are plenty of " bad " opinions in racing, and just like the proverbial broken clock is right sometimes, on occasion these same " bad " opinions turn out to be " correct ". However, that doesn't make them good or well informed opinions. Coming into a discussion about a horse that can't even get to the racetrack midway through it's 3YO season and saying you expect it to be a Grade 1 winner is, in fact, the very essense of a " bad " opinion. It is completely ill-informed and has no basis in reality. This is the kind of opinion made by someone who has no idea of the truth in this particular case and is simply throwing sh1t against the wall. Why might one think it was just made to gather attention ( which does happen whether or not YOU understand this ) might be because they are confused as to why the poster would even post something that outrageous.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Dee Tee Stables

seems like in a place like this, you tempt fate and the other posters when you put anything resembling an opinion on here. after all, as was mentioned before, they're like a$$holes, everyone has one...of course what went unmentioned was that no one thinks theirs stinks!! and of course the more outlandish the post, the claim, the comment, etc, the better your chances of getting hammered. tis life. don't take it personally! just watch for your own chance i guess. but please, don't stop posting. many times things get pretty funny, and the best thing anyone can do is learn to laugh at yourself. hell, i crack up every time i think about walking into that stop sign....it's uh, a long story....
Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

Bruce, the point is not that I, or any single other person on here is the "grand arbiter" of determining what constitutes a stupid post. The masses do that just fine on their own.

If I think you said something stupid, I will tell you. If someone else thinks it was stupid, they will tell you. If ten other people think it was stupid, they will tell you. You've got to think that all of these people agreeing are on to something. It's not vengeance, and it's not being mean for fun -- it's simply showing how either indefensible an opinion may be or how stupid a comment may be. It's especially funny considering that this whole conversation is surrounding a poster whose only intent it seems at most times, is to incite these very conversations.

Plus, no skin off my back for the whole thing, no matter which end I'm on of one of these conversations. Someone you were with at Gulfstream loved Summer Book and got ripped to pieces for it until the running happened. I would know, I didn't cry about it.