Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Oriental Park

Default Favorite Horse Racing Movies . . . I got duped . . .

or is it dooped?

OK, I've told many of you how much my wife knows compared to me about horse racing and thoroughbreds. So I recorded this movie called "Down Argentine Way" (1940) with Don Amechie and Betty Grable thinking it would be a typical "musical" set in Argentina. Oh and of course Carmen Maranda . . . and as the movie progresses we start seeing beautiful horses here there and everywhere. But wait, then my wife says she first saw this when she was 12 (+/- 1959) or so, late night movie staying up to 1:00 for it . . . should'a known.

As the movie progresses, we see energized music, dancing and all the great Argentine Hollywood costumes, scenery and the richness of the main families talking a bit about horses in the movie . . more clues. All of a sudden it hits me when Don Ameche's dad gets upset about Betty's aunts family "Crawfords" and sends her off his fabulous ranch after she says she want's to buy his champion horse. Progressing along he owns the top jumper in the world but wouldn't you know it after Betty hears his time for a work out she says "he need to run on the flat".

Going along with all the beautiful country and horse farm scenes it ends up that "Furioso" runs on the flats and starts out at 50-1. The word gets out around the track, stupidly by his owner, that he ran a record mile in his work out. Odds keep going down as the word gets out to 4-1. Of course he wins!!!

Fun movie and again it's just a testament as to why my wife has horse blood running through her veins. You just don't know. The movie all along that she made me record a week ago was really all about horses and racing. And I thought it was just a fun old movie with Don Ameche and Betty Grable in it. It was a fun movie but with Patty, I SHOULDA KNOWN! BTW - the move is campy but it was fun to watch. Gosh do I love my wife or what???!!!

And there's many more, I know but this one crept up on me for sure.

Last edited by DonGuido : 11-10-2017 at 10:22 PM.