Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
The Curragh

Default Anyone Else Taking A Stand

and not betting The Breeders Cup? I know, my little $100 give or take will not be missed at the windows and in the final numbers, but I refuse to wager on this event being run at Santa Anita. Again.

I'll kick back and watch a little here and there on Saturday, and maybe in passing at Churchill 2morrow, but no thanks.

I'll be full blast next year on the dirt at the Church.

I'll go to Keeneland when I can, long drive from Florida no doubt.

But on this big day, no thanks. Give me tradition, ole mother earth, not that when it comes to a showcase event.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Idlewild Airport

Completely disagree.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Calder Race Course

How on earth can a horse racing fan NOT bet the BC?

Big fields - Top horses - Big pools.

There are excellent betting opportunities and a great day of racing you will be missing. Yes, dirt might be easier for you to handicap, but if you do your homework synthetic surfaces are profitable to bet.

Your loss
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Del Mar

I dont like poly either but I'll put up with it for races like this. Whats the other alternative? I never liked Churchill (outside of Derby Day) and the last 3 weekends in NY have been pretty bad, although Aqu should be decent on Saturday.

I have a couple of very strong opinions on Saturday and while I would probably bet most of the races if on dirt, I am pretty excited now that we are only hours away.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
and not betting The Breeders Cup? I know, my little $100 give or take will not be missed at the windows and in the final numbers, but I refuse to wager on this event being run at Santa Anita. Again.

I'll kick back and watch a little here and there on Saturday, and maybe in passing at Churchill 2morrow, but no thanks.

I'll be full blast next year on the dirt at the Church.

I'll go to Keeneland when I can, long drive from Florida no doubt.

But on this big day, no thanks. Give me tradition, ole mother earth, not that when it comes to a showcase event.
I'll proceed cautiously with many of the poly races, especially the juvy ones. Other than that, it will be a typical BC for me.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Arlington Park

i'm considering only playing the grass races.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
i'm considering only playing the grass races.
I was thinking the same thing, ill def be putting more money down on the grass races but boycott was the first thing that came to mind when they announced back to back polycrap. I came to my senses though and figured there is alot of money to be made this day. I cant say that im overly excited or looking forward to the bc as much as I have been in prior years though.
They should rename it European showcase day.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Goodwood

I didn't play last year and do not plan on it this year. I'll stick to tracks that I can turn a profit on and this place is definitely not one of them.

I thought it would bother me last year, but it didn't in the least. I played Churchill and Calder like I normally do and watched and enjoyed the BC races with nothing on the line.

It is not a protest by any means, just money management.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:51 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
I didn't play last year and do not plan on it this year. I'll stick to tracks that I can turn a profit on and this place is definitely not one of them.

I thought it would bother me last year, but it didn't in the least. I played Churchill and Calder like I normally do and watched and enjoyed the BC races with nothing on the line.

Exactly and well said. I am not protesting but rather just choosing to spend in other ways. Run it where you want and let the spending public decide. I'll have a hard time dealing with The Classic if Gio goes off close to ML odds, but hey its racing.

Gosh what a beautiful backdrop at Santa Anita, really is. If I had the chance and the funds to go I would. But given my money spot today, I can't. In fact I would be prone to go and wager less and just take in the atmosphere, like when I went to Saratoga. I gambled less at Saratoga then I would have at one of my old home tracks because I was so happy just taking in the atmosphere.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Flemington

Being on pro-ride is definitely not steering me away from the excitement of a big day.

I've been fully engrossed in watching replays, reading all of the news and looking over the pps for the past week. Admittingly, I'm an obsessed racing fan but I don't know how anyone who spends a lot of time here can not be going bed tonight with the same feeling you did on Christmas Eve as a kid.

For better or worse I'll be betting both days!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Cahokia Downs

This post is like saying I'm not going to watch a football game because it's played on "turf"...times have changed...except it and move on.
In all honesty...who cares what they are running on? For all I care they could be running on gravel...it's the Breeder's Cup.
And also to be honest we could care less, waste of a post.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

i rarely play the cal. tracks and have not done well with keeneland since the switch. i thought i could make more sense of the grass races.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogygian
This post is like saying I'm not going to watch a football game because it's played on "turf"...times have changed...except it and move on.
In all honesty...who cares what they are running on? For all I care they could be running on gravel...it's the Breeder's Cup.
And also to be honest we could care less, waste of a post.
Well I disagree, because if this was run on a track with dirt I would not feel the same way. But hey each to his / her own. I was just curious as to if anyone else felt the same way is all. I like to have a fighting chance on my wagers, and albeit I have bet other surfaces similar at best to Santa Anita thru the course of time it was not on days like Breeders Cup Weekend.

No big deal either way as all I am asking / posting is if anyone else feels the same way. Far from a waste of a post but rather folks who help fuel the sport expressing opinions
Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Well I disagree, because if this was run on a track with dirt I would not feel the same way. But hey each to his / her own. I was just curious as to if anyone else felt the same way is all. I like to have a fighting chance on my wagers, and albeit I have bet other surfaces similar at best to Santa Anita thru the course of time it was not on days like Breeders Cup Weekend.

No big deal either way as all I am asking / posting is if anyone else feels the same way. Far from a waste of a post but rather folks who help fuel the sport expressing opinions
If you love horse racing...and it sounds like you do...regardless of where they are running and what they are running on...How can you say " I will sit back and watch a little". This is the biggest day of the year and you are going to watch a little???? Who cares about wagering....I could care less...I enjoy racing...if I win, I win...if I lose I lose.Did you boycott Monmouth due to the slop??? Did that "ruin" the day of racing??? What happens if they change all the surfaces to synthetic (which they wont)...are you going to boycott all racing? And I believe they went to synthetic for safety purposes didnt they.
Nearly all major sports play on different types of surfaces don't they???
Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
If you love horse racing...and it sounds like you do...regardless of where they are running and what they are running on...How can you say " I will sit back and watch a little". This is the biggest day of the year and you are going to watch a little???? Who cares about wagering....I could care less...I enjoy racing...if I win, I win...if I lose I lose.Did you boycott Monmouth due to the slop??? Did that "ruin" the day of racing??? What happens if they change all the surfaces to synthetic (which they wont)...are you going to boycott all racing? And I believe they went to synthetic for safety purposes didnt they.
Nearly all major sports play on different types of surfaces don't they???
I don't think Breeders Cup Day on that surface is the biggest day of the year for this industry. I was more excited about Travers Day by a mile. You know, maybe I am showing a side of me that comes out thru the words and choices I use as I find myself leaning towards traditional people, places and things versus what is happening now in ALL aspects of my life.

I think I am speaking out of both sides of my mouth, so let me say this. I'll watch and wager on the big days so to speak at tracks that use dirt more then I will this poly surface for the time being for various reasons. I am drawn to tradition long before I am drawn to today.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
I don't think Breeders Cup Day on that surface is the biggest day of the year for this industry. I was more excited about Travers Day by a mile. You know, maybe I am showing a side of me that comes out thru the words and choices I use as I find myself leaning towards traditional people, places and things versus what is happening now in ALL aspects of my life.

I think I am speaking out of both sides of my mouth, so let me say this. I'll watch and wager on the big days so to speak at tracks that use dirt more then I will this poly surface for the time being for various reasons. I am drawn to tradition long before I am drawn to today.
Hey...I am all for tradition, but I also understand that times change. For the record...it's not like all dirt tracks are the same...you can't compare Calder and Belmont...both dirt, but very different...same goes for Turf...Kentucky Downs to Saratoga...synthetics is just another element.
Is the SuperBowl the biggest day for football no matter where it is played?? Is the World Series the biggest event in baseball no matter where it is played??? The answer is Yes...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Hey...I am all for tradition, but I also understand that times change. For the record...it's not like all dirt tracks are the same...you can't compare Calder and Belmont...both dirt, but very different...same goes for Turf...Kentucky Downs to Saratoga...synthetics is just another element.
Is the SuperBowl the biggest day for football no matter where it is played?? Is the World Series the biggest event in baseball no matter where it is played??? The answer is Yes...
and I have the choice to spend and watch or just watch. I'm watching cause I love this sport, just not spending. I'll enjoy it from the comfy easy chair with no tickets to despair
Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 PM
The Curragh

From the title of this thread, I was ready to post "yes, I'm taking a stand against Zenyatta."

--Dunbar
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Just like last year, I'm not betting a cent, firstly because I don't bet SoCal racing, secondly because the BC has become a complete joke and I don't want to support it. I'll probably dive back in when it gets back to dirt, but not as heavily as I used to.

I don't understand the "full fields" argument for why I should bet it. Fair Grounds opens tomorrow and they, along with Churchill have plenty of full fields. And at FG and CD I won't have to worry nearly as much about horses in perfectly good form suddenly not running a lick and vice versa.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Woodbine

Quote:

i agree, i bet it, but way less than usual. theres too many races now and i could care less about the 2 yo's. i'm a spot player anyway and bet when i like the value. i think the poly is a joke but theres a few i like this year. last year i bet 50 bucks the whole day, this year i will bet more but they are really ruining this thing. 14 races, small fields because they can cross enter on poly (its just like grass) then they call it "championships", which is another joke all together because in some divisions the best dirt horses are not even going there. only in horse racing can they take a good thing and screw it up. this could be the waning years of the breeders cup if things don't change.