Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Flemington

Default Anyone a mechanic or good with cars?

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu, which if you research on the internet has a scary list of repairs that Chevy just doesn't seem to want to fix in their new models. (Intake Manifold Gasket est repair $1,000, Ignition Switch goes at 50K $500, Brake pads are too little for weight of car $300, ABS/check engine light comes on and off)

Anyway after going back and forth to the dealer over the summer for my check engine light, which has finally been remedied, my ABS light comes on and off. The dealer said to wait until it stays on if the brakes are working fine, which they are. Finally two days ago, a grinding noise comes from the front wheel area which prompts the ABS light to come on...this happens while driving and not when I am braking.

I've researched on the internet and it sounds like it could be a wheel bearing problem. Anyone know if it sounds like that to you? Also, would you take it to a dealer or somewhere else? Is it a repair that needs immediate attention?

Any help would be grateful.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
The Curragh

That year of General Motors has that issue. The front wheel hub assembly, which includes the bearing, is very prone to going bad in that year and make of car, include the Monte Carlo. Did you notice by chance some noise coming from the front end while turning previously? The hub assembly will cause that sound for a while, and then when it gets close to going out it will kick the abs light on like it did for you. Be careful, cause sometimes the noise will come from one side but it is not the side that is bad.Sounds strange huh? A qualified Tech can find out in a flash.

Based on what you are saying, I would say with 90% certainty that you need a new wheel hub assembly. The part will cost arround $250 - $300, I believe. The actual R & R (removal and replacement) should take around 2 hours, maybe less. Be careful whith who you have diagnose it and repair it.

I have 8 years invested in Auto. Worked at a GM Dealership out of college, then 7 years in the retail side.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
The Curragh

Forgot, yes it needs immediate attention. If you let it go too long the bearing can freeze and thus you would possibly tear up your FWD axle shaft, ball joint, etc.. Not to mention put lives in jeapordy.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
That year of General Motors has that issue. The front wheel hub assembly, which includes the bearing, is very prone to going bad in that year and make of car, include the Monte Carlo. Did you notice by chance some noise coming from the front end while turning previously? The hub assembly will cause that sound for a while, and then when it gets close to going out it will kick the abs light on like it did for you. Be careful, cause sometimes the noise will come from one side but it is not the side that is bad.Sounds strange huh? A qualified Tech can find out in a flash.

Based on what you are saying, I would say with 90% certainty that you need a new wheel hub assembly. The part will cost arround $250 - $300, I believe. The actual R & R (removal and replacement) should take around 2 hours, maybe less. Be careful whith who you have diagnose it and repair it.

I have 8 years invested in Auto. Worked at a GM Dealership out of college, then 7 years in the retail side.
Thanks! No I didn't notice any noise prior to this...the issue just popped up. $250-$300 for parts alone, yikes! So would you go to the dealer or a brake type place and does it have to be done asap? Unfortunately my trusted mechanic is in the state I moved from
Old 10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Forgot, yes it needs immediate attention. If you let it go too long the bearing can freeze and thus you would possibly tear up your FWD axle shaft, ball joint, etc.. Not to mention put lives in jeapordy.
Thanks! I was replying as you were answering so never mind that question.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:38 AM
The Curragh

Stay away from dealerships. Way overpriced. If the job takes 1 hour and 15 minutes, most dealerships will charge you 2 hours, at a rate of $60 - $80 an hour. Not all Techs at dealerships are certified, etc.. Find a local garage thru your local BBB Chapter, or word of mouth from someone you know. Ask them first to diagnose. Get a written estimate. Hopefully you can find someone you can trust.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Stay away from dealerships. Way overpriced. If the job takes 1 hour and 15 minutes, most dealerships will charge you 2 hours, at a rate of $60 - $80 an hour. Not all Techs at dealerships are certified, etc.. Find a local garage thru your local BBB Chapter, or word of mouth from someone you know. Ask them first to diagnose. Get a written estimate. Hopefully you can find someone you can trust.
Thanks, you've been most helpful!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Saratoga

Stay away from cars in general, they are just plain bootleg...the 'scav' has 130k in miles, runs like crap, but it gets to point a to point b on a daily basis, change the oil and add coolant and i am ready to rock
Old 10-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Stay away from cars in general, they are just plain bootleg...the 'scav' has 130k in miles, runs like crap, but it gets to point a to point b on a daily basis, change the oil and add coolant and i am ready to rock
LOL

2min ~ I called good year and they gave me an estimate of $322 and that it only took about an hour to fix.....sound reasonable to you?
Old 10-12-2006, 10:03 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
LOL

2min ~ I called good year and they gave me an estimate of $322 and that it only took about an hour to fix.....sound reasonable to you?
yeah, thats reasonable.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:32 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

know anything about BMW's or MErcedes?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
The Curragh

Jerry,

No I don't. I can share this with you, and something you will want to consider when the time comes for you to purchase a vehicle. It is a common assumption among the buying public that imports are the way to go. While in some cases that is true, what they fail to realize is that when that import breaks down, or when that import needs general maintence, the costs escalates compared to someone who owns a general motors, ford or chrysler product. An easy way to prove that point is to price certain parts for different vehicles. I learned that real quick in the auto industry.

In my humble opinion, the most reliable vehicle will always be the one that has been taken care of properly. From the beginning, treat it like a child. Basic maintence and proper driving technique goes a long, long way in the life of a vehicle. Especially proper driving techniques, for example easy on the gas, letting a car run at least 10 seconds before you put it in gear, easy on the brakes, and avoiding pot holes

Maintence is equally important. The obvious is not always the obvious to some. One of the biggest suggestions I tell people is to at all costs avoid the "cure alls" found on store shelves everywhere. Nothing in a bottle is a cure all, all they will do is typically slow down the problem but it will reappear. Some of those products, down the road, cause problems. For example, certain fuel additives found in gas treatments will wreck havoc on the spark plugs. Certain oil additives will clean out the engine, yes, but then deposit that sludge on your oil pickup screen and therfore causing oil pressure problems. I could talk for hours upon hours about this.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:05 PM
The Curragh

so your telling me were gonna keep paying 4 to 6 times as much regular cars because its a freakin German engineered car?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:35 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
so your telling me were gonna keep paying 4 to 6 times as much regular cars because its a freakin German engineered car?
It comes down to two things. Interchangeability (is that a word?) of parts and lack of properly trained techs to work on imports. In other words you are going to pay more for a part for an import because they only fit certain makes and years, usually small where as gm, ford and chrysler have done a good job of using the same parts on similar vehicles thru the years thus bringing down the price.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Flemington

Quote:
It comes down to two things. Interchangeability (is that a word?) of parts and lack of properly trained techs to work on imports. In other words you are going to pay more for a part for an import because they only fit certain makes and years, usually small where as gm, ford and chrysler have done a good job of using the same parts on similar vehicles thru the years thus bringing down the price.
Exactly why I bought my Malibu instead of another Jetta.