Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Sourpuss Laker fans, a dime a thousand dude.
.......you know i love you man.....i never cried like alot of laker fans do. the celtics were the better team, end of discussion.....lakers went way farther than anyone could have imagined before the year started.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4
.......you know i love you man.....i never cried like alot of laker fans do. the celtics were the better team, end of discussion.....lakers went way farther than anyone could have imagined before the year started.
This is something that a lot of Laker fans have been saying after the series. That they went further than anyone could have expected. I don't buy that. Before the season, the Lakers didn't have Pau Gasol. If Laker fans could have known before the season that they would have him, another established 18-20 pt, 8-10 board, all-star, I think the expectations would have been higher. I would say that this season would have to be classified as a disappointment because regardless of where there expectations were going in, once the deal for Gasol was made, the expectations changed. This was a team that ended with the best record in the West, swept through the playoffs, and was FAVORED over Boston. As circumstances change, expectations should also change along with them. Same thing for Boston. Any Celtic fans that would have said this season was a success if it didn't end with a title would have been wrong. If they had kept the same team from last year and improved off a 24-win season, then maybe you could call it a success. But with the additions of Garnett and Allen, the expectation was a title.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Thistley Downs

I'm really learning a lot in here.

NOT!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
This is something that a lot of Laker fans have been saying after the series. That they went further than anyone could have expected. I don't buy that. Before the season, the Lakers didn't have Pau Gasol. If Laker fans could have known before the season that they would have him, another established 18-20 pt, 8-10 board, all-star, I think the expectations would have been higher. I would say that this season would have to be classified as a disappointment because regardless of where there expectations were going in, once the deal for Gasol was made, the expectations changed. This was a team that ended with the best record in the West, swept through the playoffs, and was FAVORED over Boston. As circumstances change, expectations should also change along with them. Same thing for Boston. Any Celtic fans that would have said this season was a success if it didn't end with a title would have been wrong. If they had kept the same team from last year and improved off a 24-win season, then maybe you could call it a success. But with the additions of Garnett and Allen, the expectation was a title.
So because Ginobili was playing hurt I should have lowered
the Spurs expectations? Luck with injuries have a lot to do
with it all these teams. If KB had kept that abdominal strain no way the Celtics win.
Ginobili was the most valuable player on the Spurs this year.

BTW: Ginobili might not play for Argentina (which he dearly wanted to do and the Spurs know this). He may have to have ankle surgery. His ligament in the heel area is 5X larger than it is supposed to be still. He still has not healed.
Even after rest.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Thistley Downs

They're arguing about what teams fans expectations should have been before,during and after the season.

Unbelievable.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Coach Pants

I wanted the championship more than you!!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Thistley Downs

Shoulda been a wit-neeeess!!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
So because Ginobili was playing hurt I should have lowered
the Spurs expectations?
Luck with injuries have a lot to do
with it all these teams. If KB had kept that abdominal strain no way the Celtics win.
Ginobili was the most valuable player on the Spurs this year.

BTW: Ginobili might not play for Argentina (which he dearly wanted to do and the Spurs know this). He may have to have ankle surgery. His ligament in the heel area is 5X larger than it is supposed to be still. He still has not healed.
Even after rest.
Of course you should. Expectations are arrived at based on things working out fine. If Duncan goes down, if KG goes down, if Kobe goes down, Chris Paul, etc.....how can you possibly have the same expectation for their teams? I don't see how. I think that the expectations change as the situations do.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Thistley Downs

I'm getting dizzy.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

I expected this thread to have faded away by now.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Scuds,
I hope you got more in the stable than that Turkish kid.

I have been working a few things and I'm ready.

Armenian Rap Music is going to be very big.

Can I go straight to the Live Album and skip the rest o dat sh1t?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...songID=6372358

Do you approve of this one's voice?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:07 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Of course you should. Expectations are arrived at based on things working out fine. If Duncan goes down, if KG goes down, if Kobe goes down, Chris Paul, etc.....how can you possibly have the same expectation for their teams? I don't see how. I think that the expectations change as the situations do.
Ginobili did not go down. He played. And very poorly.
He got on the court. He was the best we had.

I actually did not expect to win based on the way
the Spurs finished the regular season. Loses in the
4th quarter, which just did not happen the seasons they won.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Ginobili did not go down. He played. And very poorly.
He got on the court. He was the best we had.

I actually did not expect to win based on the way
the Spurs finished the regular season. Loses in the
4th quarter, which just did not happen the seasons they won.
If you are about to make a wager on the Lakers over the Mavs one day and then around noon, you find out Kobe isn't going to play, you wouldn't reconsider that wager? You don't think that an injury or key addition to a team should change your expectations of what a team is capable of doing?

Maybe your expectation wasn't for the Spurs to win the LA series. But I can't believe that you don't think a healthy Ginobili would have made a difference in how competitive it would be. A healthy Ginobili might have helped them hold off the Lakers in those fourth quarter collapses and given the Spurs another game or two.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Thistley Downs

This thread is brought to you by-----Arnold Rothstein's Hypothetical Betting Parlors.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 PM
pgardn

Quote:
If you are about to make a wager on the Lakers over the Mavs one day and then around noon, you find out Kobe isn't going to play, you wouldn't reconsider that wager? You don't think that an injury or key addition to a team should change your expectations of what a team is capable of doing?

Maybe your expectation wasn't for the Spurs to win the LA series. But I can't believe that you don't think a healthy Ginobili would have made a difference in how competitive it would be. A healthy Ginobili might have helped them hold off the Lakers in those fourth quarter collapses and given the Spurs another game or two.
I expected them to easily beat the Lakers before
their very poor showing during the later part of the
regular season when you and I had a discussion
how well they had been playing. You had not looked at
the REAL schedule upcoming and I watched everyone of their
bad wins against bad teams during a false streak.
They were bad at the end.
Got fortunate against Phoenix (closer than the series indicated)
exposed against New Orleans, and brought to their proper
termination by the Lakers.
Ginobili would have helped immensely. But the real problems were still
very evident. Lakers still had them. We also did not know the extent
of Ginobili's injuries. He had a 40 point game on a rotten ankle.
Very tough bugger.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Thistley Downs

I'm confused now as to who actually won what this past nba season.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
I'm confused now as to who actually won what this past nba season.
You were not when the Cavs lost.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
You were not when the Cavs lost.
Oh?

But did they?

I'm not so sure after reading your and KG's injury calculations vs. the fan expectation charts.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
Oh?

But did they?

I'm not so sure after reading your and KG's injury calculations vs. the fan expectation charts.
Well, after Boobie got hurt that was the key. He is the key member of the Cavs, not any frozen ones. So once that happened we all should have re-calculated what to expect. Expectations would have lowered. If only the right guy had gotten injured in game 5 of that Boston series there would have been a parade in downtown Cleveland last week.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Thistley Downs

Well someone is paying attention here.

That was fine work,sir.