Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-30-2006, 10:06 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
In 1993 Shug debuted two future grade one winning fillies on the SAME CARD at Belmont Park in split divisions of a two year old MSW. Both destroyed their fields.
Name them.
I got one (inside info). Do i get half a prize?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
I got one (inside info). Do i get half a prize?
I'll toss you an easy one.
In 1992 on a summer's morning in Saratoga Shug had a turf stakes horse he needed to work out. He wanted the horse to get something out of the workout and needed a workmate.
He really didn't have another grass horse he thought could keep up with this horse so he decided to work out a dirt horse who had soured and who he really didn't have any idea what to do with.
So the horses broke off and at the top of the lane the soured dirt horse disposed of the grass stakes horse, and outworked him by a pole, causing McGaughey to yell Holy ****!!! and smash his binoculars to pieces in jubilation.
Who was this horse?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
The only firster I remember him winning with was the where he told Jan Rushton in the paddock that the horse had been purchased to be a pony for the owners kid and wasn't fast. She reported this in the paddock report and the horse jogged home and paid a fortune. Lots of angry bettors that day.
Even for Angel, that wasn't very nice.
I had just told the person next to me that story. I think he told her the horse couldn't run, but would make a cute pony for his kids, and she actually repeated it ( much like how she repeated that Ernie Paragallo told her someone offered him $4 million for Daddy Joe before his debut...he eventually broke his maiden for a tag ). Cordero's horse promptly went from like 17-1 to 8-1 at the windows, she has a LOT of clout, and airballed.

One of the greatest moments in NY racing history.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I'll toss you an easy one.
In 1992 on a summer's morning in Saratoga Shug had a turf stakes horse he needed to work out. He wanted the horse to get something out of the workout and needed a workmate.
He really didn't have another grass horse he thought could keep up with this horse so he decided to work out a dirt horse who had soured and who he really didn't have any idea what to do with.
So the horses broke off and at the top of the lane the soured dirt horse disposed of the grass stakes horse, and outworked him by a pole, causing McGaughey to yell Holy ****!!! and smash his binoculars to pieces in jubilation.
Who was this horse?
Obviously it's Lure....though I will remain dubious of the overall validity of that story.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I had just told the person next to me that story. I think he told her the horse couldn't run, but would make a cute pony for his kids, and she actually repeated it ( much like how she repeated that Ernie Paragallo told her someone offered him $4 million for Daddy Joe before his debut...he eventually broke his maiden for a tag ). Cordero's horse promptly went from like 17-1 to 8-1 at the windows, she has a LOT of clout, and airballed.

Maybe for some, but I was not very pleased to say the least. I had the horse as a possibility in the pik-3's, and when Jan said what she said, I took my red pen and put a big x over him.
A truly spirited profanity storm followed that race.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Obviously it's Lure....though I will remain dubious of the overall validity of that story.
That story is absolutely true, it was near the end of the meet. My friend was a good friend of Shugs at the time. Check out the dates, the work was near the end of the meet, and he ran in a grass allowance race that he won by a pole in September at Belmont shortly after the spa meet concluded.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Maybe for some, but I was not very pleased to say the least. I had the horse as a possibility in the pik-3's, and when Jan said what she said, I took my red pen and put a big x over him.
A truly spirited profanity storm followed that race.

Then you're an idiot.

Who doesn't mute her?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Goodwood

Quote:

Daddy Joe, Paragallo's 2005 version of Unbridled's Song... at least according to him.
As was Scanlon's Song this year... and i think he's still eligible for N1X.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Then you're an idiot.

Who doesn't mute her?
that was my lesson.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Then you're an idiot.

Who doesn't mute her?
I actually find her voice to be... soothing. Must be the southern accent.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I actually find her voice to be... soothing. Must be the southern accent.

Must be you.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Daddy Joe, Paragallo's 2005 version of Unbridled's Song... at least according to him.
As was Scanlon's Song this year... and i think he's still eligible for N1X.

Yeah, as I recall Ernie had him " pencilled in as the Wood winner " thus enabling him to win the Arkansas Derby with Achillies of Troy ( who actually WAS a good horse ).

Scanlon's Song got a blistering pace and speed duel to win his debut and as usual was butchered on his way to the shelf and I think may have recently run for a tag. It's too bad. The horse had at least a little ability once.

Achillies of Troy was a VERY good horse.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Must be you.
I was only partially kidding... she stays on mute.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Yeah, as I recall Ernie had him " pencilled in as the Wood winner " thus enabling him to win the Arkansas Derby with Achillies of Troy ( who actually WAS a good horse ).

Scanlon's Song got a blistering pace and speed duel to win his debut and as usual was butchered on his way to the shelf and I think may have recently run for a tag. It's too bad. The horse had at least a little ability once.

Achillies of Troy was a VERY good horse.
Agreed, is he ever coming back? He had the best figures of any 3YO early this year.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:42 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Agreed, is he ever coming back? He had the best figures of any 3YO early this year.
pretty sure 'outofthebox' said he is working again...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
pretty sure 'outofthebox' said he is working again...
Excellent, thanks. I don't think it takes a genius to see how much better Paragallo's horses have been doing with him than Pitchfork Woman... hopefully he comes back strong at 4.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Excellent, thanks. I don't think it takes a genius to see how much better Paragallo's horses have been doing with him than Pitchfork Woman... hopefully he comes back strong at 4.
No knock on the current trainer ( and board member ), and I don't think he would disagree, but Jen Pederson did a decent job with what she was given, and I think who does the day to day training of these horses, both then and now, is at least open to debate.

She lasted a long time in a very difficult situation and I don't think it's particularly fair to malign her in any way. And, no, I have no personal stake in this situation whatsoever.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
No knock on the current trainer ( and board member ), and I don't think he would disagree, but Jen Pederson did a decent job with what she was given, and I think who does the day to day training of these horses, both then and now, is at least open to debate.

She lasted a long time in a very difficult situation and I don't think it's particularly fair to malign her in any way. And, no, I have no personal stake in this situation whatsoever.
On her behalf, the one time I talked to Paragallo I was really turned off. He seemed like a tough guy to deal with.

I saw nothing wrong with Pedersen other than it always seemed like she spotted horses too aggressively; i.e., 30K horses running in AOC 75k's and they're 30-1. Horses sour when they lose and lose and lose. I think this is why the current trainer is winning at a better clip, he seems to be placing the horses more properly.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Jerome Park

Phil, you are a very smart and astute horseplayer, you can't possibly think she was responsible for the insane spotting of their horses.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Phil, you are a very smart and astute horseplayer, you can't possibly think she was responsible for the insane spotting of their horses.
No, I absolutely agree with you.