Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
There is an “if” hidden in there. Are there 20 entrants?
Tracking 17-19 right now..

Baffert: Game Winner; Improbable
Hollendorfer: Gunmetal Grey; Galilean
Mandella: Omaha Beach; Extra Hope
Desormeaux: Easy Shot (Sueno possible)
Pletcher: TBA
McPeek: Lemniscate
Casse: Our Braintrust
Stewart: Classy John
Asmussen: Long Range Toddy, Jersey Agenda, Laughing Fox (Captain Von Trapp possible)
Moquett: Frosted Ice
Silva: Sleepy Eyes Todd
Lukas: Market King (Or other)

Last edited by Kasept : 03-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Havre de Grace

What’s the max if they don’t split ?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
What’s the max if they don’t split ?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
If you’re one of the contenders, do you enter some stablemates just to force the split?
Old 03-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Del Mar

They are now planning on reopening on March 22nd.
https://www.drf.com/top-news/santa-a...chedule-458931
Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Del Mar

Bad news. I heard there was another breakdown today at Santa Anita. That is very surprising because I thought they were only open for limited training. I didn't think horses were even working yet. It is possible the horse could have broken down during a gallop. I don't know. I haven't heard any details yet.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
Bad news. I heard there was another breakdown today at Santa Anita. That is very surprising because I thought they were only open for limited training. I didn't think horses were even working yet. It is possible the horse could have broken down during a gallop. I don't know. I haven't heard any details yet.
I read that for timed, high speed exercises, a request has to be submitted 24 hours prior to the workout.
Cant find anything on a breakdown yet....

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...-for-training/
Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
I read that for timed, high speed exercises, a request has to be submitted 24 hours prior to the workout.
Cant find anything on a breakdown yet....

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...-for-training/
I haven’t seen it anywhere either and I actively searched the most reliable rumor mill out there - Twitter.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:27 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
A horse was vanned off with a soft tissue concern. Otherwise OK.

Please get back to heralding celebrity deaths.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Del Mar

I think my friend's info was wrong. What happened was that a Phil D'Amato horse was vanned off. As fast as things spread, I guess that turned into "Phil D'Amato had a horse break down." From what I'm reading on DRF, it says, "One racehorse that was galloping was vanned off the main track early Monday, perhaps during the blackout. The incident was not serious, according to trainer Phil D’Amato, who was in Florida. After speaking with his help, D’Amato said via text that it was his understanding that a pony kicked the horse, who was “comfortable” after returning to his stable."

https://www.drf.com/top-news/under-w...a-anita-458971
Old 03-12-2019, 11:10 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I haven’t seen it anywhere either and I actively searched the most reliable rumor mill out there - Twitter.

You can bet if this was true that the news would spread like wildfire on social media...I can only imagine what the circus is like outside the track
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Steve Byk

WEDNESDAY (3/13): Per Mike Willman, as of 9:15a PT, without incident, 150 workers on the main track so far this morning..
Old 03-14-2019, 11:16 AM
Belmont Park

From Brad Free:
Sad.to report Princess Lili B broke both front legs at conclusion of half-mile workout Thursday at Santa Anita. Euthanized. Somber mood trackside. Training will continue this morning.

You know there are a lot of reasons why horses breakdown, so nobody should jump to conclusions. Maybe the track surface is wonderful, maybe the horse just took a bad step and it could have happened anywhere, maybe it was a soft tissue injury that was undiagnosed or treated improperly that caused a weakness in the animals' ability to jog properly? Let's wait for the necropsy report and the findings of the blue ribbon panel BEFORE suggesting SA management and or the racing surface is deemed the culprit. Tracks and the people maintaining them have rights too!
Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Havre de Grace

What do you do if you are an owner ? Trainer. ? What about the jocks and exercise riders ? It’s got to take a big toll on everyone mentally.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Hollywood Park

An Open Letter about the Future of Thoroughbred Racing in California
Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM
Saratoga

Catastrophic day for the sport we love...
Old 03-14-2019, 04:37 PM
Saratoga

Wow...I'm at a loss for words. This is a turning point for the sport for sure, I can only hope it will be in a positive direction. I have to hope that it will....
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM
Oriental Park

Does this mean the other Stronach-owned parks will be doing the same? It seems insincere to do it only at the CA tracks. Will the Preakness ban lasix?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 PM
helicopter11

If a horse in the wild takes a bad step and breaks thier leg, will an animal activist make a sound?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:23 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Does this mean the other Stronach-owned parks will be doing the same? It seems insincere to do it only at the CA tracks. Will the Preakness ban lasix?
^^^
This

Insincere is putting it mildly. Outrageous that they basically blaming the victim. Do they think people and the press are dumb enough to not ask the question why horses are not breaking down at their other tracks and all tracks in general at the rate they are at Santa Anita? They need to shut it down for the season, rebuild the track from scratch and move the Breeders Cup. How can they and Breeders Cup proceed and risk the potential death blow that the sport would face if we had one or more incidents during Breeders Cup?