Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Hollywood Park

Who is gonna ride who now thats the biggest question??

Gomez messed up on AGS in the Derby
Johnny V messed up on CQ in the Derby

Should have been SS,Hard Spun,AGS,CQ Super!!!

Now

Johnny V is said to have to mount on King of the Roxy

Do they let Gomez ride CQ or??
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystander
Now that's hardcore.
Now if only we can get DrugS to listen.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
Don't base handicapping opinions on internet threads, do the work.
Well, thanks for the scolding, but if you'll notice I said "IF the speed is holding up that well...."
I assure you I don't "base handicapping opinions on internet threads" and I only bet on races in which I have "done the work."
Thanks for the pointless and blatantly obvious advice.
Hey by the way.....if I were you I wouldn't place large win bets on the horse I thought was the worst horse in the race. That is a bad strategy too.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
I think you are getting some bad information there.

There were 7 routes run at Pimlico last week. One 5 to 2 shot won wire to wire. A 2 to 5 shot won from third early. The other 5 were won from the back.

Don't base handicapping opinions on internet threads, do the work.
I anxiously await your selections for the Preakness. Can't wait to be enlightened by yet another industry insider.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I anxiously await your selections for the Preakness. Can't wait to be enlightened by yet another industry insider.

When exactly did CJ ever refer to himself as an " industry insider ".

Geez, all the guy did was post some facts about the recent races at Pimlico. Now he's getting attacked?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
When exactly did CJ ever refer to himself as an " industry insider ".

Geez, all the guy did was post some facts about the recent races at Pimlico. Now he's getting attacked?
I don't see people "attacking" him. His post to me was ridiculously condescending, and when someone addresses me in that manner, I will respond.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
In regards to Pimlico, I definitely haven't seen all of the races run there this year. But I did see a good portion the first week and all of the races this past weekend. Early in the meet it was like a merry go round, very difficult to make up any ground. This past weekend the track seemed very fair. Now, that doesn't mean it won't be souped on come Preakness day, but it has been playing fair recently.
Lets not use rational thinking at Derby Trail. Track supers don't soup up the course on big days. That's a silly urban legend. The preakness will be won by a deep closer. Promise.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycharles01
Who is gonna ride who now thats the biggest question??

Gomez messed up on AGS in the Derby
Johnny V messed up on CQ in the Derby

Should have been SS,Hard Spun,AGS,CQ Super!!!

Now

Johnny V is said to have to mount on King of the Roxy

Do they let Gomez ride CQ or??
Gomez would ride, I assume. He has mounts on the other stakes races there Friday, but no mount confirmed for the Preakness on Saturday. I assume Johnny V will keep his commitment to Team Valor and King of the Roxy.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
I don't see people "attacking" him. His post to me was ridiculously condescending, and when someone addresses me in that manner, I will respond.

I think you made a mistake in determining the tenor of his post. I've seen his posts for years on the internet and he's hardly someone who takes cheap shots. Since I also know you are more than a reasonable person I just think this is one of those " internet misunderstandings. "
Old 05-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I think you made a mistake in determining the tenor of his post. I've seen his posts for years on the internet and he's hardly someone who takes cheap shots. Since I also know you are more than a reasonable person I just think this is one of those " internet misunderstandings. "
Fair enough.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
No. Pimlico has been a merry-go-round this year and I really can't see Hard Spun or Street Sense coming back to the field.
I second this notion...I was down there for a week plus at the end of April, first week of May, and 75% of the races were merry go rounds. Granted, things may have changed in the interim, but I tend to think not.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Coach Pants

The gate to wire finish he was speaking of was a claimer, which most of the races have been, and the half was in a 48 and the finishing time was a 1:47 and change. Crawling home and the top three ran 1-2-3 practically the whole race. Now if they couldn't close at those snail fractions how in the hell is CQ going to close from +10 out and win?

He's a toss outside of bottom exotic savers. That's my opinion. If it's a "bad" opinion well that's fine. I don't need someone telling me it is and then offering nothing but half a stand's in retort.

Last edited by Coach Pants : 05-14-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Do you really think those 2 riders messed up the rides and cost their horses a chance in the super because I must have been watching a different race. AGS was in contention at the top of the lane, but he was empty late, much like his Wood run. CQ was never a factor IMO, had nothing to do with the ride.
never a factor to win, yes I agree. But he was 4 wide on the first turn and I'm not sure how wide (at least 6 wide) on the 2nd.. he finished less than 2 lengths from Curlin... I think he had a chance at the super.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Steve Byk

This is a pleasant enough exchange of info from a variety of well-informed parties... No one is being intentionally condescending or vitriolic... So.. let's quell the rhetoric..
Old 05-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Fair enough.
miraja

i like your signature, I too agree that was the best race I have ever seen....especially since the best horse won~
Old 05-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Fair enough, but in a 20 horse field you are going to be wide on the turns. I guess it's also possible he was short in the race, but that's bound to happen off of a 8 week layoff. He had a pretty decent trip though and offered not too much late. I suppose it's not crazy to think he'll improve but it seems odd to me that he is all of the sudden a contender. He sees none of my money.

Yeah, I've been a CQ supporter, but must admit I'm losing faith. 'wildandcrazyguy appeared to outkick CQ in the stretch, and he had an even wider trip!
I'm not sure the track conditions and pace of the Preakness will set up well enough for CQ to win... or if he's even good enough to win it anyway. Obviously, it's way too early to predict anything yet.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Oaklawn

I dont see any scenario that would allow CQ to win this race. To me, he is a non-factor. He might pick up some pieces to get 5th. I am really interested to see how Hard Spun performs in the Preakness. I think he will back-up to the field this time.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
It wasn't meant that way. You said "well that is good to know". I was just trying to help. I disagreed with the guy about the results at Pimlico. Rather than just spit that out there, I took 5 minutes to back up my impressions.

I'll take the hard data over the "I was there in April" or "yeah, but one race was a claimer" and whatever else is used to back up an argument.

As for this post:

Quote:
Lets not use rational thinking at Derby Trail. Track supers don't soup up the course on big days. That's a silly urban legend. The preakness will be won by a deep closer. Promise.
I don't have the charts anymore but I'm sure closers have won more than a few in the last 10 years, souped up track or not.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
I was hoping Any Given Saturday would be entered. Although he had no shot of beating the top two in the derby, he was given no shot of placing due to Gomez moving him outside before the turn instead of waiting for the opening, which in fact occured a split second after he moved wide, on the inside. He easily could've finished third. Why Gomez decided to go wide on a track that was clearly favoring the rail is beyond me.

Would be nice to see John R. take over again.

I was hoping AGS was entered also. Will take the normal "dumb" Pletcher money. He was a toss in The Derby.....would be a bigger toss in The Preakness.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
The gate to wire finish he was speaking of was a claimer, which most of the races have been, and the half was in a 48 and the finishing time was a 1:47 and change. Crawling home and the top three ran 1-2-3 practically the whole race. Now if they couldn't close at those snail fractions how in the hell is CQ going to close from +10 out and win?

He's a toss outside of bottom exotic savers. That's my opinion. If it's a "bad" opinion well that's fine. I don't need someone telling me it is and then offering nothing but half a stand's in retort.
Cheap speed will hold in cheap races and fold in quality races. This is not 100% but I think its a fair statement at just about any track.
Closed Thread