Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Speaking of Read the Footnotes... I love how his babies are turning out. Very nice looking...

Are they cajun? I loved RTF.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Are they cajun? I loved RTF.
Me too. They look really well put together. Here's to hoping they run as good as they've looked.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Me too. They look really well put together. Here's to hoping they run as good as they've looked.

I hope so too! Oh the names you could come up with using RTF.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34
When has he EVER fan fast?
In every race I have seen him with the possible exception of his 2nd race at Belmont, in which he got a poor start. And his race at Aqu in which he ran a good solid pace a put a crushing on the field while running easily. He is a very fast router or he would not be in the top 5 in almost everyones derby rankings.

What race did you find him slow in?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
In every race I have seen him with the possible exception of his 2nd race at Belmont, in which he got a poor start. And his race at Aqu in which he ran a good solid pace a put a crushing on the field while running easily. He is a very fast router or he would not be in the top 5 in almost everyones derby rankings.

What race did you find him slow in?

His Remsen was in a decent time. I remember that. (Sorry, I left my notes on my desk at work)
Old 04-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Speaking of Read the Footnotes... I love how his babies are turning out. Very nice looking...
Wow. That's great to hear. I'll start saving my cash! I really liked that horse and was sad to see him injured.

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I agree with NTamm. Nobiz is a very nice horse, and certainly still on a relatively short list of actual Derby contenders, but so far he has not lived up to the hype, and has yet to run a fast race. How long can we keep blaming his bad habits?

While obviously he can win Saturday, I do not feel he is as good as Any Given Saturday, and I also expect Summer Doldrums to put in a very good effort.
I agree. Thus far Nobiz has been one of those horses that always seems to show just enough to give his supporters something to feel good about (i.e. the way he seemed to re-rally at Scat Daddy after that one passed him in the FOY) but he never actually turns in a huge performance.
He is my pick for this race, but if he had a different trainer I think I would have given up on him awhile ago. He seems talented and I guess I just keep trusting that Tagg will find away to turn that talent into a big race.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
I agree. Thus far Nobiz has been one of those horses that always seems to show just enough to give his supporters something to feel good about (i.e. the way he seemed to re-rally at Scat Daddy after that one passed him in the FOY) but he never actually turns in a huge performance.
He is my pick for this race, but if he had a different trainer I think I would have given up on him awhile ago. He seems talented and I guess I just keep trusting that Tagg will find away to turn that talent into a big race.
And this is the point. The horse has shown moments of immense talent. You dont give up on a horse like this. The upside is huge. He clearly does not have the racing know how of Street Sense or Great Hunter. I would have to put Scat Daddy in that group also. These horses know what the game is about. If Nobiz learns he will be one to deal with.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Havre de Grace

Nobiz is a nice horse, but to me it looks like his best races have been at a mile. As others have said, he may well win this thing. He looks like he is training sharply and has had a couple more weeks to recover from his last race than AGS has had. On the other hand, Nobiz and Summer D will likely engage each other for the lead which I think will benefit AGS. I just hope that AGS comes out with enough money to go on to the Derby.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34
When has he EVER fan fast?
i think he means he has good tactical speed, and i thought the remsen was pretty fast for a 2yr old
Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOMBTHREAT
I'm not saying Nobiz isn't a fine horse. But to say he will have a stretch dual with anyone on derby day is quite a stretch. After the cotton balls maybe they should try some glasses and a fake nose...the competition will never see him coming. He may very well win the Wood - but is that saying a lot looking at the field?
Actually yes it is. He is going in against two relatively good horses for this Derby year. Any Given Saturday (some think Pletchers best), and Summer Doldrums (training well; has has shown he can run). This is a better field than the Santa Anita. Jeez it seems like there is never a good field... Based on the comments I have read, the Blue Grass will be the only good field this year, and it has not been run yet. And then the fact that it is on poly will be bashed so that we will not have had any meaningful preps. It is amazing, bashing is so easy.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Dee Tee Stables

well...if nobiz doesn't start picking those feet up, the cotton balls won't be the ones he'll be most concerned about!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Actually yes it is. He is going in against two relatively good horses for this Derby year. Any Given Saturday (some think Pletchers best), and Summer Doldrums (training well; has has shown he can run). This is a better field than the Santa Anita. Jeez it seems like there is never a good field... Based on the comments I have read, the Blue Grass will be the only good field this year, and it has not been run yet. And then the fact that it is on poly will be bashed so that we will not have had any meaningful preps. It is amazing, bashing is so easy.
don't get too excited about the bluegrass....hard spun may not go, and now AGS is going to the big A...some of the luster is gone from the keeneland race. hopefully there won't be more defections.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
don't get too excited about the bluegrass....hard spun may not go, and now AGS is going to the big A...some of the luster is gone from the keeneland race. hopefully there won't be more defections.
Actually defections might help make better races. Ravel not going in the Santa Anita gives us a 10 horse field. The Illinois Derby has a bunch going because Cobalt Blue is considered vulnerable. Maybe it is good having the 2nd level horses getting it on in large races rather than all the big guys running away from each other thinking their chances will be ruined and the horses forever scarred if they lose. The Arkansas may shape up to be a similar race with a lot of unknowns (or up and coming: Curlin) with a few making a break thru. I kinda like the large fields with decent horses that dont strike fear into the hearts of trainers.

The best horses this week are at the Big A. And the best race, as far as quality, has a small field. Lots of juggling and dodging may not be so bad.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Randwyck

i agree, and b.t.wnobiz should win by no less than 3 lenghts...... go

2 / 1,6/ 1,6 tri.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Newmarket

Always one of my favorite handicapping angles - first time cotton balls.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
well...if nobiz doesn't start picking those feet up, the cotton balls won't be the ones he'll be most concerned about!!!
Are you saying he better run his balls off in the Wood??
Old 04-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Are you saying he better run his balls off in the Wood??
yes...or they might be 'off' some other way.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
yes...or they might be 'off' some other way.
ouch, if that's not motivation I don't know what is.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
ouch, if that's not motivation I don't know what is.
lol

no sense warning him-he won't hear you with the cotton in his ears.

too many intact horses running. snip them all. then no question of early retirement!!