Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Barbaro Tuesday- Thoroughbred Times

http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysn...65182&subsec=1

I start to be a wee bit embarrassed about how much time I spend looking for Barbaro updates...
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Santa Anita

Not to worry. Tx for the update. Keep the faith !!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Turf Paradise

Anybody else read this (from ABC's website)? Cracks me up -- maybe he shoudn't be restless, but at least he's showing some interest in things.

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. Jul 18, 2006 (AP)— Barbaro seems downright playful. The Kentucky Derby winner squirms in his safety device, and even sits on his damaged hind legs the way dogs do when they beg for treats. The sling Barbaro spends most of the day in was designed for comfort in his recovery. The 3-year-old colt instead sees it as a challenge.

"He was using it similar to a jolly jumper," said Dr. Kathleen Anderson, Barbaro's attending vet when the horse was racing and stabled in trainer Michael Matz's barn at the Fair Hill Training Center in Elkton, Md.

"He was almost doing like children do when they're bored, they do the jolly jumper where they kind of boing around the stall. He was boinging, boinging around the stall a little bit."

Those are encouraging signs for the ailing colt, though the odds of Barbaro's full recovery from a severe case of laminitis and a reconstructed right hind leg are really no better than they were a week ago.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtrekker
Anybody else read this (from ABC's website)? Cracks me up -- maybe he shoudn't be restless, but at least he's showing some interest in things.

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. Jul 18, 2006 (AP)— Barbaro seems downright playful. The Kentucky Derby winner squirms in his safety device, and even sits on his damaged hind legs the way dogs do when they beg for treats. The sling Barbaro spends most of the day in was designed for comfort in his recovery. The 3-year-old colt instead sees it as a challenge.

"He was using it similar to a jolly jumper," said Dr. Kathleen Anderson, Barbaro's attending vet when the horse was racing and stabled in trainer Michael Matz's barn at the Fair Hill Training Center in Elkton, Md.

"He was almost doing like children do when they're bored, they do the jolly jumper where they kind of boing around the stall. He was boinging, boinging around the stall a little bit."

Those are encouraging signs for the ailing colt, though the odds of Barbaro's full recovery from a severe case of laminitis and a reconstructed right hind leg are really no better than they were a week ago.
I read that, too (see above post on too much time spent worrying about Barbaro) and it made me laugh. It's hard sometimes to remember he's essentially a teenager-- nice to see him act like one, i.e., with more energy than he knows what to do with!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:50 PM
boldruler

This is no ordinary horse on or off the track.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Turf Paradise

Totally understand, GR! I'm just as bad.