Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
TeddyRex

Default Are the NYRA SHOWDOWNS Dead?

When the spring meet started the NYRA site stated that the Showdown would be back for the Saratoga meet. Now that the meet is 10 days away, no mention of the Showdown. Have they trashed a very popular contest?

Typical NYRA I hope they lose the franchise.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Del Mar

We had a discussion on this the other day and I think NYRA has done away with the showdown contests. Kind of a shame as I thought they were very fun and great juice for $10. Kind of a luck thing but so is betting in general.
I have played 3 times and best finish was Belmont's fall meet last year coming in 29th.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
TeddyRex

Default Too Bad!

Another bad decision by NYRA. They don't even have the fantasy stables any more. Personally, I bet the tracks more when I was playing the showdown. You know, if you are going to handicap it you might as well play it.

Best finish? 17th, I believe it was the Fall 2003 Belmont meet. Decided against Newfoundland in a N1X Allowance race and went with a turfer instead. Horse got boxed, and got beat by a nose at the wire. Migliore gave him a terrible ride. Probably my most BITTER sports defeat ever. It still hurts talking about it!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Del Mar

I got beat in a 5 horse field picking the 2nd choice who was 9/5 in a race which featured a horribly overbet 3/5 shot, whom I cant remember the name at the moment. Anyways, both my 9/5 shot and the 3/5 shot ran off the board finishing 4th and 5th respectively. I think there were 50 people left before this race, after the race there were only about 5 people remaining.

Wouldnt say it was my most bitter defeat because it only cost me $10 but it still hurt, and who knows what could have happened if I was in the last 5?

Most bitter defeat ever came when I needed a horse in California with Lester in the name to win for a double that would have returned 14 grand (I had it several times). The horse was 7/1 and was on the lead the entire race, except for the finish line when he lost the head bob to the favorite, which incidentally was Chris Mccarons 7,000th victory, or some milestone like that.
I think the horse he won on was the spineless jellyfish. Ouch, I had to watch that replay like 10 times.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I don't know, guys, don't you think the recent crackdown we've seen on internet gambling had anything to do with this decision? Just an idea to throw out there. It's only ten bucks, but it can't possibly be perfectly legal.