Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 PM
VikeOfan

Default I Missed Y'all

Hi, I promised y'all that I would not give up Horse racing after the TC and I'm a man of my word.

I've been checking the ESPN board for a while and I'm just disgusted at what happened.

Anyway, just wanted to let ya know that I'm still here and I'm not a fair weather fan.

Question, what big races are there between now and the BC? I believe that I just missed the Haskell, but is there anything else good in the coming weeks?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikeOfan
Hi, I promised y'all that I would not give up Horse racing after the TC and I'm a man of my word.

I've been checking the ESPN board for a while and I'm just disgusted at what happened.

Anyway, just wanted to let ya know that I'm still here and I'm not a fair weather fan.

Question, what big races are there between now and the BC? I believe that I just missed the Haskell, but is there anything else good in the coming weeks?
Didnt miss the Haskell, its August 8. ****load of good racing b/t now and BC. Some that come to mind are...Travers, Kings Bishop, Whitney, Woodward, JCGC, Pacific Classic, Goodwood, Vosburgh, Vanderbilt, Atto Mile, Shadwell Mile, Hirsch Turf Classic Inv., Arlington Million, Secretariat Stakes, Beverly D, Yellow Ribbon, Super Derby, WV Derby, KY Cup CLassic, Hawthorne GC, and a ton more!!!

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 07-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Del Mar

Between now and the BC?

The whole Saratoga meet is super. Every weekend there are grade 1's.
Monmouth has a few nice graded stakes as well, most notably the Haskell, but they really do a good job with 2 year old stakes and some nice turf races scattered throughout the meet.
Arlington puts on a dynamite day known as "Millions Day" in mid August.
Delmar has a couple of nice races (Pacific Classic for one) but as a whole the meet is kind of stale.

Then comes September and October where Belmont absolutely rules, especially for turf racing on Saturdays. Throw in the Jockey Club Gold Cup and the rest of that always great card and you have probably the premier meet in racing. Keeneland also starts up again in September.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
VikeOfan

Thanks 1st and Gander. That is why I had to hunt y'all down. Knowledge!!!!!

Good to be back. This is why I always loved this forum.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Arlington Park

Good to hear from you. I remember your posts on the ESPN board and you seemed like a good guy. Glad you stuck around post TC.
The good thing about this board is that you don't need to remember when all the good races are because if you come on here every Thursday or Friday you will see most of the big races analyzed (and argued over) almost as much as the TC races.
Welcome aboard.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Washington Park

Here is a very good site to keep up with BC prep races. Nice to see you still around, by the way!

http://www.ntra.com/races_index.aspx

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 07-17-2006, 06:45 PM
VikeOfan

Hey Miraja!!! You gave me some of the best advice pre - TC. Good to hear from you.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikeOfan
Hey Miraja!!! You gave me some of the best advice pre - TC. Good to hear from you.
Ha! I didn't make any money on the TC races so I'm not sure how good the advice could have been!
If you are primarily a 3yo colt fan the BIG races to watch this summer and fall are as follows:
7/29 - Jim Dandy
8/6 - Haskell
8/26 - Travers
Those are the races where you might see some of the TC horses running against each other again.

If you are already scouting next year's TC horses check out the big 2yo races which consist of:
- basically the entire Saratoga meet
- 10/7 - Lane's End BC Futurity
- 10/14 - Champagne Stakes

....and obviously the Breeders' Cup.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Churchill Downs

Cool

Now is the best time...Delmar starts this week, The SPA starts in another week.... the BC preps, the fall belmont meet... This is a fantastic time for ANY horse player. Plenty of 2 year old babies races, the three year olds @ the summer derby, and of course the fine older champion horses.
Gotta Love Horse Racing !!