Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
oh the great Alnaz Ali, I had a friend that had two horses with him, I tried soo many times to get him to pull them and send them to someone else, Playa's trainer is better then Ali....
Wasn't Ali "The Greatest"?

oops wrong sport.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
As a bettor, I don't like seeing any bad publicity for racing. It just gives ammunition for our non-racing friends/family members to fuel the anti- racing fire. And like Janks said, the Tribune is the paper that has really run with this topic, which is ironic since they basically do not cover horse racing.

Only one problem: the attention is warranted. As one who has owned horses before, this definitely is a concern and certainly appears more than a bad random sampling. Who/what are we going to believe? There's a good trainer who says there's no problem because she hasn't had any horses break down. Isn't that a bit close-minded? BTW, being a horse trainer does not make one qualified to be a track surface maintenance chief. So do you believe: Christine Janks or your own eyes?
Christine Janks has been around the game a long time and has a great reputation on the Arlington grounds, when she talks, I listen....Being a trainer you come to understand things like a track surface so I am guessing she can talk intelligently about the race surface.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
oh the great Alnaz Ali, I had a friend that had two horses with him, I tried soo many times to get him to pull them and send them to someone else, Playa's trainer is better then Ali....

whats wrong with steve(my trainer) scav? last year he finished the year at a 30% clip! hes only 21 and had a much better year than the other 2 trainers that had my horse last year have ever had and theyve both been training for 15+ years apiece. not to mention hes alot more honest and a much better person than both and unlike 1 of the other 2 i had working for me he actually cares about the animals and their well-being.

as far as christine goes, ive got nothing but respect for her and those whove read my posts the past 5 years know i think very highly of her and her training! however i disagree with her. my horse was fine and had no real problems physically the last 2 years until he started training over the arlington surface. as ive stated here the past 2 racing seasons ive saw way too many horses coming off bad in the mornings and after races. yes some trainers dont give a shiat and will run em into the ground but there is just way too many problems here. you can even talk to some of the jocks here and theyll also tell you the surface is way too fast. arlington unfortunately has had so much negative publicity this year right from the get go of the meet and this is the last thing they needed to happen. there is no way in the world arlington will admit fault
Old 07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
whats wrong with steve(my trainer) scav? last year he finished the year at a 30% clip! hes only 21 and had a much better year than the other 2 trainers that had my horse last year have ever had and theyve both been training for 15+ years apiece. not to mention hes alot more honest and a much better person than both and unlike 1 of the other 2 i had working for me he actually cares about the animals and their well-being.

as far as christine goes, ive got nothing but respect for her and those whove read my posts the past 5 years know i think very highly of her and her training! however i disagree with her. my horse was fine and had no real problems physically the last 2 years until he started training over the arlington surface. as ive stated here the past 2 racing seasons ive saw way too many horses coming off bad in the mornings and after races. yes some trainers dont give a shiat and will run em into the ground but there is just way too many problems here. you can even talk to some of the jocks here and theyll also tell you the surface is way too fast. arlington unfortunately has had so much negative publicity this year right from the get go of the meet and this is the last thing they needed to happen. there is no way in the world arlington will admit fault
Playa, nothing is wrong with your trainer, he just needs to get the head, if I had the money to get a horse, I would consider him because I doubt Janks(my first choice) would train only one low level horse for me

I disagree with you on the surface, the whole thing with Barbaro has people in a tizzy....If Barbaro didn't happen, 100 horses could have broken down at Arlington and it wouldn't have matter to the media.....
Old 07-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Playa, nothing is wrong with your trainer, he just needs to get the head, if I had the money to get a horse, I would consider him because I doubt Janks(my first choice) would train only one low level horse for me

I disagree with you on the surface, the whole thing with Barbaro has people in a tizzy....If Barbaro didn't happen, 100 horses could have broken down at Arlington and it wouldn't have matter to the media.....

well hes got 9 in training right now, im sure he will expand before the upcoming fall meet, ill probaly claim something else myself by the end of the summer/early fall. if you ever wanna meet him and discuss him training for you just lemme know and ill set it up. yeah youre right christine doesnt have to many bottom runners but i dont think shed turn ya away, only problem being yad be payin out your rear end day rate wise for a lower level horse thatd need to run 1-2 for ya basically everytime for ya just to break even with the bills youd incur with her.

i was complaining last year on the espn board about the surface, and was seriously considering writing a letter to the itha or any1 who would listen be4 this years meet about it but i figured they wouldnt listen to me
Old 07-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Dee Tee Stables

just read that an independant contractor came in and checked out the track and found nothing to indicate it's unsafe.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34468
Old 07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Gulfstream Park

I don't think Christine should be ripping on the other horsemen/women. Remember Big Attlet? He was the biggest cripple on the Arlington grounds last year. He'd win and run big Beyers and keep dropping in class. He went from running a 100 plus Beyer to running for a 4000 tag. Who was the trainer? Christine Janks.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
I don't think Christine should be ripping on the other horsemen/women. Remember Big Attlet? He was the biggest cripple on the Arlington grounds last year. He'd win and run big Beyers and keep dropping in class. He went from running a 100 plus Beyer to running for a 4000 tag. Who was the trainer? Christine Janks.
Zarb's Magic was the SAME way on the Arlington Circuit for years, he would win a stakes race and then drop into a 25k claimer......
Old 07-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Gulfstream Park

Big Attlet ran a 107 Beyer and went straight to a 10K claimer. He won and was again cut in half.

I remember Zarbs Magic although I don't think he ran here until he was really old. But his class drops weren't "suspicious". He was just a real old horse who tried hard every time. I think most owners are hesitant to drop a claim for an 8Y0 or 9YO no matter how good the horse's form, so his connections could get away with aggressively spotting him.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Saratoga

Agree, Zarb came to Arlington when he was like 6 years old, wintered at the Fairgrounds....

I remember the Big Attlet thing because once he ran that 107 beyer I played against him in that next race, I thought I saw him run a couple weekends ago, can't remember thoguh
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

saw a blurb on wgn about it 17....wow thats bad...