Old 09-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Oaklawn

Default Denman to call BC races

Bloodhorse.com:

It's Official: Denman to Call 2006 Breeders' Cup
Date Posted: 9/6/2006 11:08:29 AM
Last Updated: 9/6/2006 11:08:29 AM

Edited press release
Trevor Denman has joined the ESPN announcer team for coverage of the 2006 Breeders' Cup World Championships, ESPN said Sept. 6.

For the first time in the event's 23-year history, the Breeders' Cup will be televised on ESPN, with coverage on many other ESPN platforms, Nov. 4 (noon-7 p.m. EST) from Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky.

Denman, a fixture on the Southern California circuit, has been calling races at Del Mar since 1984. He began calling races in his native South Africa in 1971.

"Trevor is second to none among the world's race callers," Norby Williamson, executive vice president of studio and remote production for ESPN, said in a statement. "We are extremely pleased to have him in such an important role on our Breeders' Cup coverage."

Denman will work with hosts Chris Fowler and Kenny Mayne, analysts Jerry Bailey and Randy Moss, as well as reporters Hank Goldberg, Jeannine Edwards, Joe Tessitore, and others.

Tom Durkin has called every Breeders' Cup on NBC since the event's inception in 1984.

The Breeders' Cup, Thoroughbred racing's year-end championships consisting of eight races and $20 million in purses, caps the annual racing season with the richest races in North America on dirt and turf.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Saratoga

Should have gotten Dooley, while he is a great fit for the 'type' of person at Arlington, he steps up his game for Arlington's bigger race calls.

Denman just doesn't do it for me, not exciting enough....I am all about the serious voice influxation and callers getting pumped up, like Stauffer and Dooley
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Coach Pants

Luke gets shafted again.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Should have gotten Dooley, while he is a great fit for the 'type' of person at Arlington, he steps up his game for Arlington's bigger race calls.

Denman just doesn't do it for me, not exciting enough....I am all about the serious voice influxation and callers getting pumped up, like Stauffer and Dooley
I agree 100%. And "they're going very fast" is not sufficient for a big race. Fractional calls are still nice, even though the time is posted on the screen its often very small and cant be read. Voice inflections after a wicked half mile help set the stage for the viewers to expect the closers to come home strong.
Dooley has the voice and passion and skills to be the very best when Durkin ever retires. Hes the most talented young caller in the game by a landslide.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I agree 100%. And "they're going very fast" is not sufficient for a big race. Fractional calls are still nice, even though the time is posted on the screen its often very small and cant be read. Voice inflections after a wicked half mile help set the stage for the viewers to expect the closers to come home strong.
Dooley has the voice and passion and skills to be the very best when Durkin ever retires. Hes the most talented young caller in the game by a landslide.
I think Denman is the best there is. I could care less about fractional times. I can see if they are going fast or not. Denman will actually point out a horse and would tell you to watch for the horse getting ready to make his move. He can see things develop better than anyone. Durkin is old and he cant even call the right horses name. Dooley is good but not as good as Denman.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Luke gets shafted again.
Agreed.. Luke is 100x better and easier to listen to than Denman.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Del Mar

I like Denman as well. Fractional times mean nothing to me while watching a race. Its not as if I can change my bet after seeing to fast or too slow of a quarter or half. And there have been many times I have bet horses who blaze the way very quickly and still hang on, and vice versa get away with easy fractions yet still quit. Durkin is good but I am kind of sick of him calling BC's. Time for a change.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Agreed.. Luke is 100x better and easier to listen to than Denman.
WHo isn't?
Every caller alive uses fractional times in the call except Trevor.
The reason he doesnt do it is because he doesnt have to move teh binocs and check for the fractions and announce them.
real pros do this and then have to reset the cadence of the call after training the binocs back on the field.
Denman never posessed the skill to do this.
By not having to give fractions he never has his cadence interrupted and can use those same tired clapped out phrases that were great before we heard them one thousand times.
Heres an example. On Monday a baffert maiden had run away from the field and the camera had him on isolation. Now most everyone who bet that race was at home or at a simulcast, not at the track. Instead of continuing his call and telling everyone who had moved into 2nd and 3rd for the exacta and tri, he did that tired old "they'd have to sprout wings to catch so and so" and stopped his call.
Gee thanks a lot Trevor, there are only about a zillion folks who wanna know who is 2nd and 3rd(you couldnt see it on teh screen) and you are busy with a self serving tired old showoff phrase like that. No thanks. Most guys wanna hear the fractions and whose actually running where in the race.
I'm sure Luke and Durkin and Dooley could make up some phrases of their own like that if they didn't have to be "bothered" with "tiny" things like what the fractions are and whose actually running in 2nd and 3rd.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
WHo isn't?
Every caller alive uses fractional times in the call except Trevor.
The reason he doesnt do it is because he doesnt have to move teh binocs and check for the fractions and announce them.
real pros do this and then have to reset the cadence of the call after training the binocs back on the field.
Denman never posessed the skill to do this.
By not having to give fractions he never has his cadence interrupted and can use those same tired clapped out phrases that were great before we heard them one thousand times.
Heres an example. On Monday a baffert maiden had run away from the field and the camera had him on isolation. Now most everyone who bet that race was at home or at a simulcast, not at the track. Instead of continuing his call and telling everyone who had moved into 2nd and 3rd for the exacta and tri, he did that tired old "they'd have to sprout wings to catch so and so" and stopped his call.

Gee thanks a lot Trevor, there are only about a zillion folks who wanna know who is 2nd and 3rd(you couldnt see it on teh screen) and you are busy with a self serving tired old showoff phrase like that. No thanks. Most guys wanna hear the fractions and whose actually running where in the race.
I'm sure Luke and Durkin and Dooley could make up some phrases of their own like that if they didn't have to be "bothered" with "tiny" things like what the fractions are and whose actually running in 2nd and 3rd.

I'm a big Luke fan and like Dooley a lot too. Trevor is ok, but he's worn a bit thin.

Luke is the best I think at setting up a race early. He's not as good as Durkin late in a race but I don't think any are.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Saratoga

"Need to sprout wings"

So do I, I hate it when he says it, the first, second or even third time was alright but jesus, every other race?

Every time that Sterling wins, Dooley does not say "under a sterling ride" nor does he destroy his phrases like a Top 40 station destroys songs.

He uses the wings phrases three times a race day.

Stauffer is another one, his FOY call with Read the Footnotes and Second of June was top notch "THEY THROW DOWN at the quarter pole"

He doesn't overuse this at all, maybe 3 times a week
Old 09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Newmarket

Personally i don't look for the fractions from the caller, i can see them posted as the race progresses. I just like the caller to paint an accurate picture of the race shape, who is moving, fading, who is being urged, the lengths of separation etc.

Personally i think Denman is a great choice, but Luke is also a guy i like to listen to. Vic and Collmus round out my top picks.

I wish that you NY guys would get your wish and draft Dooley from the minor leagues out here. Before the end of the first season you'd be taking pencils and stabbing them in your ears to relieve the pain. "and now it's Bootlicker with a wide and hopeful run". blech!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:13 PM
eurobounce

Every caller has his/her overuse phrase. I like Vic because he is creative during a race and he actually will pick a horse when it is a photo. What I dont like about Vic is you can always tell when he has a wager on the race. Durkin was great in the 80's-90's. But he seems to get a little lazy in some of his calls. His voice fluctuation is the best there is during a race. If the pace is slow, he lowers his voice and talks slower. If it is a fast pace, he gets a little higher and faster. Denman, doesnt use times and I dont care but I understand where people would like to hear the times. He does a good job of setting up the race and does a good job at giving you the order. He is horrible when a race is won by a large marjin or if the race is close. Dooley does a great job calling a race that is neck and neck. He prob will be the best caller in the game in about 5-10 years. He is very steady and a joy to listen to. Luke is good but there is just something about him. The guy who calls Keeneland is actually my fav. But I dislike anyone who uses the horses number when calling the race.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Personally i don't look for the fractions from the caller, i can see them posted as the race progresses. I just like the caller to paint an accurate picture of the race shape, who is moving, fading, who is being urged, the lengths of separation etc.

Personally i think Denman is a great choice, but Luke is also a guy i like to listen to. Vic and Collmus round out my top picks.

I wish that you NY guys would get your wish and draft Dooley from the minor leagues out here. Before the end of the first season you'd be taking pencils and stabbing them in your ears to relieve the pain. "and now it's Bootlicker with a wide and hopeful run". blech!
How do you not like Dooley, for the first time all year I heard him call a horse the wrong name, it was the 4 horse on the turf, I think it was Sunday......he does use the wide and hopeful run thing but I like that because he is basically saying "Yo Jock, what the hell are you doing 5 wide"
Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Every caller has his/her overuse phrase. I like Vic because he is creative during a race and he actually will pick a horse when it is a photo. What I dont like about Vic is you can always tell when he has a wager on the race. Durkin was great in the 80's-90's. But he seems to get a little lazy in some of his calls. His voice fluctuation is the best there is during a race. If the pace is slow, he lowers his voice and talks slower. If it is a fast pace, he gets a little higher and faster. Denman, doesnt use times and I dont care but I understand where people would like to hear the times. He does a good job of setting up the race and does a good job at giving you the order. He is horrible when a race is won by a large marjin or if the race is close. Dooley does a great job calling a race that is neck and neck. He prob will be the best caller in the game in about 5-10 years. He is very steady and a joy to listen to. Luke is good but there is just something about him. The guy who calls Keeneland is actually my fav. But I dislike anyone who uses the horses number when calling the race.
Kurt Becker, dude is the ish, he called Arlington between before Wrona.

Trivia: Kurt Becker is the ONLY race caller in Keeneland history
Old 09-06-2006, 12:24 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Kurt Becker, dude is the ish, he called Arlington between before Wrona.

Trivia: Kurt Becker is the ONLY race caller in Keeneland history
Yeah Kurt Becker. Didnt he use to call NASCAR races? Or am I dreaming. But he is the best there is right now. He is awesome.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
How do you not like Dooley, for the first time all year I heard him call a horse the wrong name, it was the 4 horse on the turf, I think it was Sunday......he does use the wide and hopeful run thing but I like that because he is basically saying "Yo Jock, what the hell are you doing 5 wide"
I could go on and on about what i don't like but to many it might seem trivial.

Here is one. He never pronounces the word "the" like you and i would. He always says "thee". As is "thee field is nearing the gate!"

also he over pronounces everthing. like when you say Timothy Thorton, the last T is usually silent or almost silent. He says it like "Thor Ton".

its just a million things like that that once I started to notice i found it irritating. He tries too hard in my opinion to ennuniciate in clever ways.

and i don't like to know which horse is "holding favoritism". just tell me who is the favorite.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Saratoga

Don't be pissed because he is using words you can't understand, I don't understand half the crap he says I just think about it and laugh and then tear up a ticket
Old 09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Love how everybody uses "Luke," because dang, that last name is just impossible to pronounce on sight.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Love how everybody uses "Luke," because dang, that last name is just impossible to pronounce on sight.
I think it's spelled Kruytbosch. It's a tough one.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Santa Anita

Durkin iz da man