Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Oaklawn

Default NYRA in trouble again?

From the Associated Press:

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- The State Investigations Committee says the
New York Racing Association illegally hired a law firm that, as a
court appointed monitor, had previously helped the thoroughbred
racing operator avoid a federal indictment.
The SIC says the $125,000-a-month, no-bid contract to Getnick &
Getnick violates state racing law.
The SIC found that other companies were qualified to handle the
work, but were shut out when NYRA awarded the contract without
seeking competitive bids.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Steve Byk

Funny.. Why does this come up now? Wasn't a peep out of anyone when they hired Getnick full time a year ago. Wonder who's looking to stir up an issue at this late date? Can't imagine...
Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
From the Associated Press: The SIC found that other companies were qualified to handle the work, but were shut out when NYRA awarded the contract without seeking competitive bids.
The above is of course is a laughable prevarication.

What company was qualified to do what Getnick & Getnick was qualified to do? G&G had worked inside NYRA as oversight administrator for the 3 prior years... Is anyone stupid enough to believe that there were 'other companies qualified to handle the work' that understood NYRA's business better than Getnick? Really? Like who? Preposterous, and undoubtedly a first attempt from Joe Bruno-led flacks to create new problems.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Coach Pants

Seems like they got caught half-assing on the job again.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Woodbine

Hasn't this bullsh*t been addressed before? It's amazing what these whores resort to when the spotlight is turned on the Albany cesspool.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Del Mar

My words exactly...decoder ring at the ready. Nice Stevo..I'll say it three times for my word of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept

What company was qualified to do what Getnick & Getnick was qualified to do? G&G had worked inside NYRA as oversight administrator for the 3 prior years... Is anyone stupid enough to believe that there were 'other companies qualified to handle the work' that understood NYRA's business better than Getnick? Really? Like who? Preposterous, and undoubtedly a first attempt from Joe Bruno-led flacks to create new problems.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Coach Pants

Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Randwyck

In actuality, I am not sure this claim is 100% accurate. I would have to go back and check some of the documentation I have, and some of the reports that have been issued, however; I think that this time -- when Getnick & Getnick was hired, the State Oversight Board, as well as the NYSR&WB and/or possibly the Govenor's office was not only made aware, but also had direct input on the decision -- and approved same.

Perhaps Steve, or someone else may remember or know the details. In addition, I am not sure the State Investigations Committee originally was involved or had input on this. At the same time, this could be similar to the findings -- albeit incorrect and inaccurate -- of "NYRA paying for shipping between Aqueduct and Belmont" and vice versa. If you remember, this was made a big deal of and subsequently found out to not be an issue at all.

Again, I am not sure of the sequence, chronology or otherwise, however, this may have been out in the open at least to the parties involved. Also, while Getnick & Getnick is in fact a law firm, they were not retained for legal work. This was a continuation of the monitoring and oversight previously done, and continued as such, also addressing corporate governance, infrastructure, fiscal, etc. -- which had always been done by and at NYRA. At one point, I think Saffir Rossetti was on the job, from both a security, procedural, etc. perspective. Getnick & Getnick's role was much more comprehensive and the results produced spoke volumes for itself.

While NYRA certainly has been guilty of things in the past, and has made mistakes in the past -- and for those aspects I was a harsh critic -- in my opinion and the opinion of the majority of the NY horsemen, they are a different and much improved organization and were the only choice to retain and continue the franchise. Since this work has been done, I am unaware of any malfescense or problematic issues that NY horsemen have with NYRA. The NYRA we see today is a byproduct of everything that went into this entire saga and process.

Eric
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept

Steve, I think Getnick & Getnick was a "joint" selection by NYRA, the State Oversight Board and the NYSR&WB, after a thorough due diligence process. I think Pataki's office had input in the decision as well. Do you remember this?

At the same time, from what I gathered the only other firm that was bantered around was the -- then -- "new" Giuliani firm which apparently didn't have enough meat around the bone, experience or staff to do the job and was more applicable to just security consulting issues or related matters.

Getnick's firm, for this type of work is very well known and sits at the top of the pyramid. This goes back to Neil Getnick's father who was at the forefront of this type of work. I believe they did a great deal of work for the State of NY, and possibly NYC.

Eric
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
In actuality, I am not sure this claim is 100% accurate. I would have to go back and check some of the documentation I have, and some of the reports that have been issued, however; I think that this time -- when Getnick & Getnick was hired, the State Oversight Board, as well as the NYSR&WB and/or possibly the Govenor's office was not only made aware, but also had direct input on the decision -- and approved same.

Perhaps Steve, or someone else may remember or know the details. In addition, I am not sure the State Investigations Committee originally was involved or had input on this. At the same time, this could be similar to the findings -- albeit incorrect and inaccurate -- of "NYRA paying for shipping between Aqueduct and Belmont" and vice versa. If you remember, this was made a big deal of and subsequently found out to not be an issue at all.

Again, I am not sure of the sequence, chronology or otherwise, however, this may have been out in the open at least to the parties involved. Also, while Getnick & Getnick is in fact a law firm, they were not retained for legal work. This was a continuation of the monitoring and oversight previously done, and continued as such, also addressing corporate governance, infrastructure, fiscal, etc. -- which had always been done by and at NYRA. At one point, I think Saffir Rossetti was on the job, from both a security, procedural, etc. perspective. Getnick & Getnick's role was much more comprehensive and the results produced spoke volumes for itself.

While NYRA certainly has been guilty of things in the past, and has made mistakes in the past -- and for those aspects I was a harsh critic -- in my opinion and the opinion of the majority of the NY horsemen, they are a different and much improved organization and were the only choice to retain and continue the franchise. Since this work has been done, I am unaware of any malfescense or problematic issues that NY horsemen have with NYRA. The NYRA we see today is a byproduct of everything that went into this entire saga and process.

Eric
Well said. This "issue" was addressed before, but with Ex Gov #9, his aides, Joe Bruno, the Albany DA and other assorted politicos being investigated by SIC, NYRA becomes a very convenient distraction.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiaco
Well said. This "issue" was addressed before, but with Ex Gov #9, his aides, Joe Bruno, the Albany DA and other assorted politicos being investigated by SIC, NYRA becomes a very convenient distraction.
Thank you, for the kind words and the clarification. I would agree. However, as I mentioned in part -- as a fan and bettor, and being in this business for my entire adult life and racing horses all over the country, I was in the past a critic of NYRA. I raced there, went to the track often, spent the meet up at the Spa, etc. However, I wasn't a full-fledged supporter and advocate. Not because of who they were or weren't, but more because of "how" they were. I, like many others, wanted more and complete transparency. I wanted -- and we got -- reduced take-outs. I wanted the NYTHA to have a place at the table. I wanted more benefits for the backstretch workers, jockeys, trainers, fans, bettors and owners. I also didn't like some of the decisions made -- for example the entire horsemen's purse account issue. I wanted what many others wanted.

However, that's changed. It's improved. It's much, much better and in certain aspects ideal. I have moved from critic to supporter. I supported NYRA to retain the franchise. I attended every open meeting, got invoted to some that weren't open, and made sure I was aware of the environment that effected my business and my sport. Do I like everything? No, nobody does. But it's the best it can be and getting better -- and today, everyone is working together to make it better.

NY Racing today and the turmoil we have is not a result of NYRA. It's not a NYRA issue. It's a racing industry issue and more specifically, as it relates to NYRA, a byproduct of arcane, antiquated, and a broken system, set of laws, legislation, tax rates, etc. -- that once worked; 50 years ago, pre-OTB growth and expansion, pre-simulcasting and rights, pre-rebate shops, etc.

I have said it numerable times -- before the VLT legislation, how many parties were interested in the NY racing franchise? Where were they all? Anyway, I think in the future we will see the best racing model and the best racing in NY. Of course not everyone will be happy. But it's not about the one -- it's about the many, the industry, the sport as a whole.

Eric