Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMugg
Unbelievable timing of this topic. Labor Day at Ellis Park Sir Dorset wins a two and one fourth mile event by 40 1/2 lengths. Not quite the '73 Belmont, but interesting none the less.
Strange that you say that right now.

I had no idea that that race had ever happened, until I saw Don Tiger entered at Hawthorne yesterday in a 1 9/16 turf race.

He was the horse who ran a game second, beaten just a smidge under 41 lengths that day as the favorite.

I couldn't get over how odd the running line looked -- having run second and showing a 40+ beaten lengths.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Randwyck

Spectacular Bid at Delaware Park by 17 lengths setting a new track record with "the shoe" on his back for the first time.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Jerome Park

I think the official margin of victory for Summer Colony's maiden win at Saratoga was 32 3/4 lengths.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Cahokia Downs

Seen many horses win jumps races here by "A Distance" which is 30 lengths+
Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Ellis Park

We had a first timer named Forest Jazzy this past summer at River Downs that won by 24 lengths in a 6f maiden special. They took her to Belmont and she's still a non 2 i believe.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Gulfstream Park

La Triaviata's debut was impressive. Her 13 1/4 length win seemed like 20 when I watched it (here come the Biancone comments/jokes ).

I remember watching Bellamy Road's '05 Wood Memorial. Actually got out of the house and went to Kentucky Downs with some friends. Everyone went nuts. Several of us were rooting for him, but didn't think he would run off like he did.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Saratoga

Okay well I've never actually seen him, but the old guys catch my attention.

Sometimes i check the Mountaineer entries just for the hell of it and one jumped out at me this morning.

Sir Dorset runs tonight, and look what I found.....

SIR DORSET (USA) b. G, 1995 DP = 10-7-11-4-0 (32) DI = 2.37 CD = 0.72 - 66 Starts, 14 Wins, 11 Places, 9 Shows Career Earnings: $228,768

Owner: Regina Murphy & Willis Simpson
Breeder: Pamela J. Bayliss
State Bred: FL
Winnings: 66 Starts: 14 - 11 - 9, $228,768

Recorded the largest victory margin ever at Ellis Park in 2007 by winning a 2 1/4-mile starter allowance by 43 1/4 lengths.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/sir+dorset

18-furlong wonder -- The 12-year-old gelding is getting old, but SIR DORSET (Vicksburg) can still put on a show. In 2003, he won a 2 1/4-mile starter allowance at Ellis Park by a staggering 43 1/4 lengths. He didn't race at the uncommon distance again until this Labor Day at Ellis, and was dismissed at nearly 9-2 against only three rivals. Bettors were likely turned off by his last three outings, three unplaced efforts versus similar company in one-mile and 1 1/8-mile races, but those distances are too short for Sir Dorset. Give him 18 furlongs. Sir Dorset strolled home 40 1/2 lengths on top.

http://handicapping.bloodhorse.com/i...ue%26header=bh

Good luck to the old guy tonight.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat

Sometimes i check the Mountaineer entries just for the hell of it

There are self help groups for issues like this...
Old 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
There are self help groups for issues like this...

You don't understand..... it started cause I follow the old guys (I didn't know where Mountaineer was... Duh! ) but now my reason for checking is two-fold...

I'm always wondering if horses i really liked who have been a bit disappointing (ie, Exceptional Ride - poor thing) will end up there.

Thanks for your kindness though and if i ever need a list of meetings I'll know who to ask.

edit - The good Sir won again tonight.....

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 11-18-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Gulfstream Park

Meadowlake's debut at Hawthorne in 1985. I believe it was 22 lengths for the margin. I think it was just after the fire at Arlington and the balance of the meet was run at Hawthorne.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Goodwood

giacamo's derby win
Old 11-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I think the official margin of victory for Summer Colony's maiden win at Saratoga was 32 3/4 lengths.

Thanks Andy...

I was reading through the thread saying what the heck was the name of that Evans filly? She won her next race by a pretty good margin too if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Bellamy Road won by 14, 15, or 17 lengths, I think. I was there for that win.

Cash Run won her debut at Belmont Park by 15, I think. My recollection was that it was a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday, so the few of us in attendance were treated to a monster effort.

Didn't Friendly Island win by about 15 in his debut the day after the Belmont Stakes? He was a Pletcher firster who was cold on the board -- by Pletcher firster standards -- at 4-1. It was a chilly day, too.
Think it was 18, but I could be wrong. I liked that horse a LOT, made some nice change on him throughout his career.

I was at the '05 Wood as well. Nothing against Bellamy Road, but that field was truly terrible...
Old 11-18-2007, 09:22 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuvForPletch
Thanks Andy...

I was reading through the thread saying what the heck was the name of that Evans filly? She won her next race by a pretty good margin too if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't have remembered it but I read an article the other day about Hennig training his thousanth winner ( something I consider akin to my beating Tyson in his prime ) and that was mentioned as a highlight.

There was no mention of his unbelievable lack of success with a multitude of well bred horses year after year.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I wouldn't have remembered it but I read an article the other day about Hennig training his thousanth winner ( something I consider akin to my beating Tyson in his prime ) and that was mentioned as a highlight.

There was no mention of his unbelievable lack of success with a multitude of well bred horses year after year.
Less with more, Hennig or Ward?

My vote goes to Ward (despite winning a KY Derby.)
Old 11-18-2007, 10:09 PM
The Curragh

Quote:

Henning is the northeast version of Dallas Stewart.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Gulfstream Park

In mid-1970s, saw horse win by 22 lengths at Louisiana Downs. My buddies and I were enjoying sunshine and suds at the rail that afternoon. It looked very strange seeing horse finish so far ahead of field. We didn't get full impact until we went inside and watched replay.

Same horse won something like seven straight during that summer-fall meet -- progressing from claimer to starter handicaps and overnight handicaps. Horse and trainer disappeared into oblivion after that season. Rumor had it that trainer had been using some undetectable (remember this in 70s) cocaine derivative to "juice" this horse. It was never verified, but 22 lengths was impressive nonetheless. Truth or Urban Myth -- we'll never know!