Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

looks like chelokee is going to the barbaro stakes, rather than the preakness.

hadn't seen about the french 2k brock, but i take it a danzig colt won??
Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
looks like chelokee is going to the barbaro stakes, rather than the preakness.

hadn't seen about the french 2k brock, but i take it a danzig colt won??
would have liked to have seen Chelokee in the preakness..

yep Astronomer Royal, big shock though. Coolmore had 5 in it, he was at least 4 string, if not 5th..thats his breeding!
Danzig(USA) (7.9f) - Sheepscot(USA) (Easy Goer (USA))

#Grand
Old 05-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Dee Tee Stables

holy crap, 33-1!! just went to racing post to check out the story....wow!
maybe that win, and with three of his finishing in the top four, will ease some of o'briens pain over losing holy roman emperor to the shed.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Spendabuck85

Just read this:
King of the Roxy trainer Todd Pletcher hinted Sunday he might have another horse for the 1 3-16-mile Preakness. Pletcher, who went 0-for-5 in the Derby to run his record in Triple Crown races to 0-for-26, would not say which 3-year-old he was considering.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spendabuck85
Just read this:
King of the Roxy trainer Todd Pletcher hinted Sunday he might have another horse for the 1 3-16-mile Preakness. Pletcher, who went 0-for-5 in the Derby to run his record in Triple Crown races to 0-for-26, would not say which 3-year-old he was considering.

Any thoughts?

Deadly Dealer maybe
Old 05-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Jerome Park

I am guessing Circular Quay.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
The Preakness is normally the first time almost any three year old comes back on only two weeks rest, so to say that these have never come back before on only two weeks rest doesn't mean much to me. It was the same for other Kentucky derby winners who have done well in the Preakness as you have mentioned.

Why did you not expect Barbaro, Giacomo or Smarty Jones to bounce, but you are expecting Street Sense and Hard Spun to do so? What is it about their individual situations that makes it so clear in your mind?
Jim makes an excellent point, no horses come back off two week layoffs now a days and this one time a year only a handful even give it a try. I'm also curious to see why you didnt think Barbaro, Smarty or Giacomo would bounce, and why Street Sense will. If you think SS is going to bounce, then Hard Spun would be a candidate as well, because he ran harder in the Derby.

I tend to think Street Sense takes the Preakness. He is at the top of his form right now and his effort in the Derby may not have taken it all out of him. Against the Preakness field, I think that is enough to win. We'll see about the Belmont.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Just read this:

Any thoughts?
Pletcher has been so awful in Triple Crown races he is now reverting to Vince McMahon tactics...however, instead of mystery wrestlers in a steel cage...Pletcher will run a mystery horse.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Newmarket

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Pletcher has been so awful in Triple Crown races he is now reverting to Vince McMahon tactics...however, instead of mystery wrestlers in a steel cage...Pletcher will run a mystery horse.
It won't be the Undertaker, he's injured!
Maybe "Stone Cold" Soaring By???

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 05-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Jim makes an excellent point, no horses come back off two week layoffs now a days and this one time a year only a handful even give it a try. I'm also curious to see why you didnt think Barbaro, Smarty or Giacomo would bounce, and why Street Sense will. If you think SS is going to bounce, then Hard Spun would be a candidate as well, because he ran harder in the Derby.

I tend to think Street Sense takes the Preakness. He is at the top of his form right now and his effort in the Derby may not have taken it all out of him. Against the Preakness field, I think that is enough to win. We'll see about the Belmont.
See post #37 in this thread. In that post, I give my rationale.

I agree with you about Hard Spun. He ran harder than SS in the Derby. I think it will be very hard for HS to repeat the race he just ran.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Hollywood Park

I would go with either Circular Quay or Soaring By to the Preakness

Soaring By tho would be more likely to run in the Sir Barton on the undercard
Old 05-13-2007, 09:51 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycharles01
I would go with either Circular Quay or Soaring By to the Preakness

Soaring By tho would be more likely to run in the Sir Barton on the undercard
Either of these two would be no surprise. But he could throw in Metocricy (sp?) because the LLc's like Peachtree love having a "classic" runner to promote new customers.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
It won't be the Undertaker, he's injured!
Maybe "Stone Cold" Soaring By???
Undertaker injured? That's terrible. I had a feeling that Mark Henry was going to bring the pain. Was really surprised that Edge cashed in. I thought Mr Kennedy was the money in the bank guy. Guess I don't follow it as much as I should but I don't have cable.

Undertaker is the best

oh yeah Preakness something something... no Chelokee
Old 05-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Saratoga

I figured I would comment

I think that SS won that race easily, and I think if Borel would have gathered him up late, people would be saying "Oh he has plenty in the stake" but because we didn't see the patented wrap up that so many jockeys use now days when a race is won easy, we think that this race took took too much out of him. I see no possibly way that Street Sense loses this race, none. He is lightly raced and just getting back to his 2 year old top, while I do see him pairing or regressing, it won't be by much.

The whole rail thing is crap, if he has to go wide, he will, and he didn't ride the rail THE WHOLE race, he hit the hole like a great running back and then ducked to the rail, it is Borel's MO, not Street Senses'

As far as Hard Spun, will not discredit how he ran in the Derby, it was a great run, but he was wobbly as hell down the lane, and that had the look of a gutter, no way he can take another 46.2 going that long.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I think that SS won that race easily, and I think if Borel would have gathered him up late, people would be saying "Oh he has plenty in the stake" but because we didn't see the patented wrap up that so many jockeys use now days when a race is won easy, we think that this race took took too much out of him. I see no possibly way that Street Sense loses this race, none. He is lightly raced and just getting back to his 2 year old top, while I do see him pairing or regressing, it won't be by much.
I don't give a damn if he was wrapped up, whipped the whole stretch, whatever. What I am wary of is Nafzger seeming to not give much of a **** at all about the Preakness, pretty much admitting that he didn't plan a step beyond the Derby. Add to that Borel's mediocrity when he can't hug the rail, add to that Street Sense's tendency to hang slightly, add to that his likely odds-on price, and you can have him.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Just read this:

Any thoughts?
I was just going to ask about this. If only 8 are showing up, and his only entry is King of the Roxy, you would think Pletcher would be very tempted to send someone else. I don't think Deadly Dealer or Soaring By would be that effective here, but if CQ did come out of the race OK, I wouldn't see why not. 2nd off a layoff, facing 8 horses instead of 19, with a better distance and plenty of pace to close into.

I still like the Met Mile idea a little bit for CQ, but I'll take anything to make the Preakness a little more interesting than it currently looks on paper.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Just read this:

Any thoughts?

where did you read this? I can't find it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Spendabuck85

At the bottom of this story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18644477/
Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 AM
Arlington Park

I hope CQ goes, although I sort of doubt it at this point. That would make it a much more interesting race.
With Hard Spun, that ridiculous Lukas horse, and the other speed....it seems like it would be a good fit for Quay.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Washington Park

Any Given Saturday?

Maybe Pletcher feels like he didn't take enough of my money Derby Day!