Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
This is meaningless and could be used to describe 99% of NFL players. There aren't a lot of lazy slugs who don't give two craps about winning in the NFL.
That's not true
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
He's probably still a virgin. And he has to be about 50 now.
He did finally get married so he isnt getting any anymore
Old 12-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
So it helps that he is white. Ok then
if he was black he wouldn't be getting the attention he is getting?

I don't a single person who watches or is interested in Tebow because he is white.

Ok this will really sound wrong, but this is not Bball and I agree with you. This is not really how I feel, but I think there is a consensus that hoops is a black mans game. I have heard the debate many times about a black QB never winning a Super Bowl and the question of if it can happen? I think in this case and with him being white it does not mean a thing. If he was a superstar winning point guard who was a white virgin and a religious freak then maybe race might matter.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
So it helps that he is white. Ok then
if he was black he wouldn't be getting the attention he is getting?

I don't a single person who watches or is interested in Tebow because he is white.
You're confused again. There's a difference between actively rooting for someone because they're white and giving a white guy more credit than an equal black guy. Don't act like the media doesn't lionize the David Ecksteins of the world while ignoring similarly undersized black athletes. There's no way in hell Tebow would get this kind of attention if he were black or another minority.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Flemington

Quote:
You're confused again. There's a difference between actively rooting for someone because they're white and giving a white guy more credit than an equal black guy. Don't act like the media doesn't lionize the David Ecksteins of the world while ignoring similarly undersized black athletes. There's no way in hell Tebow would get this kind of attention if he were black or another minority.
I dont think thats true, a guy winning is a guy winning. Vick won last year, after the world hated him. Then he got 100 million this year, and was on ESPN every day last football seasson.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
I dont think thats true, a guy winning is a guy winning. Vick won last year, after the world hated him. Then he got 100 million this year, and was on ESPN every day last football seasson.
Oh please. Vick got the same kind of attention Tebow's getting? Tebow is the most ubiquitous guy in sports right now. I'm not saying it's only because he's white, but it sure as hell helps.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
That's not true
Do you have any idea how hard it is to be an NFL player?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Oh please. Vick got the same kind of attention Tebow's getting? Tebow is the most ubiquitous guy in sports right now. I'm not saying it's only because he's white, but it sure as hell helps.

Vick got a lot of attention. More then a lot of people felt he deserved after what he did. He then got $100 million for the second time. Tebow is getting a lot of attention he is also winning, and the QB of a first place team. A first place team with a rich history who has sucked and had no real reasson to be excited the last 6 years now.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Vick got a lot of attention. More then a lot of people felt he deserved after what he did. He then got $100 million for the second time. Tebow is getting a lot of attention he is also winning, and the QB of a first place team. A first place team with a rich history who has sucked and had no real reasson to be excited the last 6 years now.
Yeah, the Broncos are basically America's team. And Vick's contract has nothing to do with this. He's beaten nobody. The best he did was barely beat the Jets on a cross-country trip four days after one of the most demoralizing losses in franchise history. If he wins a playoff game, I'll leave the board forever.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Yeah, the Broncos are basically America's team. And Vick's contract has nothing to do with this. He's beaten nobody. The best he did was barely beat the Jets on a cross-country trip four days after one of the most demoralizing losses in franchise history. If he wins a playoff game, I'll leave the board forever.
Im not a fan of his, but I dont dislike him either. I respect him for winning. I thought it was the Raiders division, but they are in trouble having to travel to GB this weekend. Its now Denvers division to lose. I dont think they could beat the Ravens, Pats or Steelers, but Im pretty sure they can beat the Texans. It would all depend on how things work out. Being Americas team now just adds to his legend. They have been irrelevant for a long time. Im still of the belief he can improve his throwing enough to be legit long term, plus they DO NOT have a lot of skill position players on that roster. They really have no one. They dumped there best WR and there best RB is a guy Baltimore felt was finished.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Im not a fan of his, but I dont dislike him either. I respect him for winning. I thought it was the Raiders division, but they are in trouble having to travel to GB this weekend. Its now Denvers division to lose. I dont think they could beat the Ravens, Pats or Steelers, but Im pretty sure they can beat the Texans. It would all depend on how things work out. Being Americas team now just adds to his legend. They have been irrelevant for a long time. Im still of the belief he can improve his throwing enough to be legit long term, plus they DO NOT have a lot of skill position players on that roster. They really have no one. They dumped there best WR and there best RB is a guy Baltimore felt was finished.
The Texans would absolutely murder them. I don't care who's at QB. I was being sarcastic by the way. No one gives two sh its about the Broncos normally.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Seriously? David Eckstein? Had he not been on some World Series teams he would be an unknown.

The old undersized minority media bias. lol

Tebow has a huge following because not only is he a unique player who has this habit of winning, but he is unabashedly a christian. THAT is why he gets more coverage than any other players. You may not like it but Fox news gets huge ratings compared to its competitors. The same audience is Tebow fans. The competitors audience are Tebow haters. The thing is that they all have an opinion on him which makes them watch. Him being white is a sidebar.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
He's probably still a virgin. And he has to be about 50 now.
He had a pretty cool jerry curl though.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Do you have any idea how hard it is to be an NFL player?
Hell Chris Carter said it the other day Money and memories, that is what you play for. I know guys, I have heard stories and there is no reason to believe that they arent credible. It really isnt any different in any of the big pro sports. We may not like it as fans but they are mostly playing for the money. The NFL has very few guaranteed contracts. Players look what happened to Forte.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I dont think hes a virgin, did he actually say that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS8qqNnR3aM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...4&sportCat=ncf

If he can get through his college years at that school, while being one of the most talked about college players ever...and not get laid by choice, he really might be a saint. I mean, the 3rd string center at Hudson Valley is probably getting laid just for the jersey.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Flemington

lol cool link. I guess he is.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
knowing all the media coverage vick got, and all the credit from espn and elsewhere that he had turned over a new leaf, i just can't agree that tebow is getting the attention now because he's white. vick isn't white, he was all over the press. but he's not currently winning, while tebow is.
espn will latch onto anything they think will garner them more ratings. tebow is a hot commodity right now.
now, some of the dipshit fans might be cheering him on for what you mentioned, but i don't think the press is.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
This is meaningless and could be used to describe 99% of NFL players. There aren't a lot of lazy slugs who don't give two craps about winning in the NFL.
not necessarily. tebow could have taken the money and been happy to be on the sidelines. from what i've read/heard he's the first one on the field, the last one off. primadonna players get a lot of attention-sitting out, not reporting for camp, working out with their own trainers, showing up overweight or out of shape.
and no, some don't care if they win-look at many players' reactions after a loss. all smiles, hanging out in the field with their buddies from the opposing team. walking around on the sideline joking and laughing while the clock ticks down.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
The Texans would absolutely murder them. I don't care who's at QB. I was being sarcastic by the way. No one gives two sh its about the Broncos normally.
Thanks for handling that one.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
And isn't it interesting how nobody gives two sh its about Newton anymore but Tebow has been made into the most popular guy in sports. Part of it might be his team's record, but I think there's another huge reason.
Yeah Cam Newton is a phony, selfish thug with a pimp for a father.