Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2010, 01:16 PM
The Curragh

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
All of these sorts of sayings are redboarding. After the fact the odds always look ridiculous.
Isn't this thread pretty much an open invitation to redboard?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfer33 View Post
Isn't this thread pretty much an open invitation to redboard?
No doubt about it. But there is a difference. And it is subtle.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:21 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth View Post
1998, 2000, 2003 and 2008 were good Breeders Cups for me. 2001, 2002, and 2004 were probably the worst. I'm still mad about Albarado's ride aboard Ashado in the 2004 Distaff.

Do any of you remember the Breeders Cup contest from 1988? I believe it was run by the Breeders Cup, and entry forms appeared in major daily newspapers. You were allowed one selection in each race, and if your selection was part of an entry, you did not benefit if the another part of the entry won; this made the contest more challenging since at the time DWL was running a five horse entry in the Juvenile Filly race and a three-horse entry in the Juvenile. Your entry had to be postmarked 1-2 days before the race, so you did not have the advantage of raceday scratches or track condition. I submitted a somewhat chalky entry using Gulch-Open Mind-Personal Ensign-Miesque-Easy Goer-Sunshine Forever-Alysheba. I thought I was in pretty good shape after the Mile. If I'm recalling correctly, nobody hit all 7 races, but there were more than few people who had 6 winners.
....thats some list of monsters there.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:09 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
No doubt about it. But there is a difference. And it is subtle.
Ok, well, to add to the discussion, last year I was swinging and missing most of both days, with my only good hit being a 20$ WP on the camel jockey on Vale of York.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
Pleasant Home
On another forum we all posted one lock for the day. She was mine.

(A couple of people thought i was crazy).

Went to Belmont that year (section 2E, row F, seat 12 Clubhouse Reserved 2nd floor and no I don't know why i remember that )... it was fantastic and the Euros in the Turf made for an even nicer day.

2008 Santa Anita was a good day too.

Thank you, Desert Code and The Mig.

Best (2005) moment was being about a foot away from Kieren Fallon and Ace.

(ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I know you know what I'm sayin', English Channel boy.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Intercontinental loose on lead with the bit free in her mouth .. I floated home............what Belt pkway?
Co-sign. Although no floating home, other than smokin on some of that feel good-real good..

Lahudood getting home in '07 thickened the knot a tad as well.

A few of this year's races I will be tackling caveman style, others having a much stronger opinion on. I will be looking to beat Z in the Classic, that's a given though.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Les Bois

Best-2000. Hit $1 tri for $800 and $1 super for $6000 in Tiznow's first Classic win.

Most frustrating was the year Unbridled Elaine won. My win bets won 5 races with horses paying double digits. But I could not connect them with other horses in vertical or horizontal exotic bets. So my $1100 in betting returned $1000. If I could've just got one.......................
Old 10-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Woodbine

2009 was really good to me. between Life is Sweet, Furthest Land and Zenyatta, it was a good couple days.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Santa Anita

Cajun Beat in 2003 made that a monster day for me along with Six Perfections and Islington. Would have been a life changing day had Daryll Holland not been on Falbrav.

2006 in Kentucky was class with Red Rocks, Ouija Board and Invasor

2008 was also class as just backing and boxing the Euros worked a treat

Most of the others have been profitably except for last year (needed Twice Over to win for a big score) and 2007 (got destroyed!!)

#Grand
Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Louisiana Downs

2006 after getting clobbered all day, snagged a $20 double - Red Rocks/Invasor
I think it came back 10 X $200 (almost).

Catching a winner on the last race of the day is the Best!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Havre de Grace

2008 ok, but 2003 was the best. Most of that day I was terrible, but eventually did well in the Classic with Pleasantly Perfect over Medaglia D'Oro and Dynever. Thought I was brilliant at the time in recognizing that Medaglia D'Oro and Congaree would go right at each other on the lead which would eventually open the door for the closers and also saw that the California horses were doing well which led me to Pleasantly Perfect. Looking back on it though, I think I was just lucky as hell. Perfect Drift was also in the race and as I recall, he ran wide entering the stretch and took himself, Ten Most Wanted and I think Funnycide out of the race so who knows what the order of finish would have been had that not happened. I was fortunate enough to have the exacta, tri and some win, place bets on Pleasantly Perfect.

Hopefully, I can report back here next year and say that 2010 was my best year. Have never played a single Superfecta in the BC, but intend to every race this year. I'll probably win the most ever or take the worse drubbing of my life.

Last edited by cal828 : 10-19-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
With the Cup around the corner, and with some mentions of some people's success in 2007 in another thread, what were your most successful Breeders' Cups from a wagering standpoint?

I wagered that General Admission tickets might be a good angle to just get in the door of the 2008 Breeders' Cup.

It turned out I was way correct.

Full access to the paddock and birds eye views up close from anywhere I wanted to be inside the racing surface all day long. Or the apron. Or standing in The Grandstand.

The bad was I had my worst day of wagering in maybe the last decade.

I NEVER bet every race when I go to a track. On that day though, I did.

The only ticket I collected was on a hunch bet my wife had... that I thought had a chance. By that race I was already playing on my heels and fortunately just bet "Square Eddie" nicely to place. Which he did.

I left a loser at the windows for the day, but I was happy I was at The Breeders' Cup for less than $20 a seat, and parking had been a breeze. I usually budget to play with about $300 a day, but on that particular occasion I think I lost about $500 at the windows.

I chalked my wagering losses up to $$ sort of well spent.

The weather was hot, but beautiful...and the cerveza was muy frio..
Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Arlington Park

I think 2005 was my best year ever capped off by hitting the trifecta in the Classic.

A few lean years in there followed that from '06 - '08.

Last year was also a good year for me, with one BIG exception.
I had a good day wagering on Saturday (Friday not so much) made some cash and then logged on to DT to discover that my capping had been good enough to win the DT contest! That was kind of cool, and people were congratulating me on a great day and everything....I was feeling good.

And then....

Somebody realized that a mathematical error had been made and I had actually placed second in the contest....not first. That would have been okay....until I discovered who the real winner was.....http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...t=32594&page=5