Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
"A handily or in hand work means the horse was going easily and didn't need much urging. A horse that works handily or in hand is one that is full of run and wants to run. A horse that is breezing is being urged to move faster by the rider. Of the two workouts, the H is more impressive because it usually means a horse is full of run."
Where did you get that quote from?

NT
Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Where did you get that quote from?

NT
I was wondering the same. I always thought a "breeze" was when the speed of the work was gradually increased from a gallop with the fastest running for the last 1-2f of the work.

"handily" I thought is when the horse is asked to maintain a tempo throughout the workout and often the horse is encouraged throughout the work to maintain that speed.

Of course, I don't work horses so this is gleaned second hand.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
"A handily or in hand work means the horse was going easily and didn't need much urging. A horse that works handily or in hand is one that is full of run and wants to run. A horse that is breezing is being urged to move faster by the rider. Of the two workouts, the H is more impressive because it usually means a horse is full of run."

http://ezinearticles.com/?Horse-Raci...Hand&id=923429

i always thought the opposite.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls View Post
it's ridiculous to me that at some tracks Handily means under a bit of urging, and at some tracks it means no urging at all.
For those tracks that use handily to mean under a bit of urging?

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

Main Entry: hand·i·ly
Pronunciation: \ˈhan-də-lē\
Function: adverb
Date: 1665
1 : in a dexterous manner
2 : easily <defeated the other candidate handily>
3 : conveniently nearby
Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Flemington

Another beautiful set of photos! The morning fog photos at Saratoga are always my favorite.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 AM
Randwyck

Thanks for the thank you's. Much appreciated.

Bill was at the rail near the clocker's stand. I checked out the stable area to see what Shaun was wearing and then ran (fast walked) over to Bill to give him a head's up,

"Red shirt, red helmet with black pompom."

The fog was sporatic - the track was covered, then it cleared a bit, then it covered. Visibility when Rachel came out of the fog was about 150' - then she went back into the fog.

There were about a dozen photographers at the rail - many of them missed the opportunity because the window of opportunity was so small and they didn't realize it was her. If I hadn't clued Bill in on the colors we had to look for, he very well could have missed the work, as well. Actually, he was able to get 22 images. I just posted the best of the lot.

If I can haul him out of bed at 4:30 a.m. again, we'll try to get some more pics of another work.. I hope someone can get pics of her at Monmouth.

There definitely is a difference of opinion on the meanings of handily (in hand) and breezing. The consensus of opinion is that breezing is the easier work in spite of all the equine definition sourcess I've found that say handily is. DRF indicates that breezing is the easier work.

Each day - confused on a higher level.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Hollywood Park

Love the picutres Doreen, keep them coming.