Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Keeneland

Default Cold

HOLY SH$%!

Just took the garbage out in minus 15 degree weather. Not sure the wind chill but my heart goes out to the garbage men working out there today. Can't EVER remember it being this cold. I can wait to see the gas bill.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 AM
Idlewild Airport

Remember it would be even colder without the global warming.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:36 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Remember it would be even colder without the global warming.
Just heard we're sending a U.S. Coast Guard ice breaker to free the ship trapped in ice studying Global Warming.

Guess the scientists must not have liked the results they were getting and abandoned ship.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Hialeah Park

The more global warming increases the colder it will get..Fact
Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
The more global warming increases the colder it will get..Fact
Can't lose.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Del Mar

Tomorrow is supposed to hit our low daytime temp 30deg..many parts of the country would love that as a high.
Weather has been lead story on news past week..Postal and garbage workers on the job...where's al gore when you need him?

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Ocala Mike

Default Cold

61 degrees in Ocala right now, but the wind has picked up, and the front with a little rain has moved through. Expected to drop by 40 degrees to around 20 by tonight. Put blankets on the horses, and getting our ducks in a row for the big game later.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
Can't lose.
Glad to see you on board Randall
Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Glad to see you on board Randall
Can't wait for more warming. Gonna leave that car running when I get home so my grandkids can wear tank tops in Dec in the future....YES WE CAN!
Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Jerome Park

Might be a few here that remember or maybe even lived through this.

Blizzard of 1978. Wind gusts of 70+mph

Kevin Murphy, 56, of Barberton, described the blizzard as ''something I will never forget.You literally had to hold on to things if you were going outside,'' he said. He recalls watching in disbelief as his neighbors tried to put out their trash. ''As soon as they set the bag down, it just took off,'' he said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/the-blizzar...rs-ago-1.86302
Old 01-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arletta View Post
Might be a few here that remember or maybe even lived through this.

Blizzard of 1978. Wind gusts of 70+mph

Kevin Murphy, 56, of Barberton, described the blizzard as ''something I will never forget.You literally had to hold on to things if you were going outside,'' he said. He recalls watching in disbelief as his neighbors tried to put out their trash. ''As soon as they set the bag down, it just took off,'' he said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/the-blizzar...rs-ago-1.86302
I was recalling this storm with family in Kentucky over Christmas. My brother was going to night school at UK down in Lexington and was driving back north during the storm. We waited for hours by the front window, looking for his headlights while the snow drifted. This of course when no one had 4WD or cell phones. We were so relieved when he finally came into sight. He tried to turn in to our place but slid past and he had to leave his car there for us to dig out later.

From your article:
Quote:
The next thing Murphy knew, he was creeping along the Akron Expressway on a white-knuckle drive in a Chevy Nova. He made it downtown safely and used jumper cables to start his dad's car. ''I told him, 'If I didn't love you, I'd kill you,' '' he said with a chuckle.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i remember the cold in dc, back in the late 70's. the chesapeake bay froze, and people actually were driving across the ice....
Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
I was recalling this storm with family in Kentucky over Christmas. My brother was going to night school at UK down in Lexington and was driving back north during the storm. We waited for hours by the front window, looking for his headlights while the snow drifted. This of course when no one had 4WD or cell phones. We were so relieved when he finally came into sight. He tried to turn in to our place but slid past and he had to leave his car there for us to dig out later.

From your article:

My wife is from KY and over the years we made at least two trips a year to visit family..Lancaster,Richmond,Waco..of course i planned the trips in Apr and Oct...spent many days at Kee back when there was no race caller..good ole days..
I remember the '78 snow days...first time i had to miss work, couldn't get up my street for two days..snow plow finally came..

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i know it's bloody cold out now. i had to bundle up like nanook of the north just to take the dog for a walk.

talked to my oldest, who should be back in paducah wednesday. it's -4 on the river where he's at, said he'd send me pics of his moustache-cicles.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Del Mar

Think i'll move to Colo..won't care how cold it gets

Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Keeneland

Going from minus 10 today to upper 30's this weekend. I know what 40 to 80 feels like, hoping minus 10 to 40 is the same.

The lake I'm near is frozen over. Hoping the temps and sun take the foot or so of snow off the top. Not many places or times you can do a 'pub skate'.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post

lol

get some of that rocky mountain high??

power went out this morning, i was worried about pipes, well and pump, etc...luckily it came back on an hour later.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post

Much more affordable here.

I mean I've heard as much.

Stay warm, everyone.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
lol

get some of that rocky mountain high??

power went out this morning, i was worried about pipes, well and pump, etc...luckily it came back on an hour later.
My neighbor was up early this a.m. said the temp was 1 deg bout 7 this morn...have a carport and about 11 went out to see if it started...yippee started right up..supposed to get all the way up to 30 deg today

Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
On the plus side, it looks to reach 34 degrees today with a twenty percent chance of rain. In Anchorage. Needless to say most people expect freezing weather in Alaska in January. So, for the slower folks out there, ‘polar vortex‘ does not describe the cold cycle on your washing machine. Climate is a global system and not just the snow falling on your pickup truck this morning.

Lesson number infinity in why climate change sucks. We depend more than most people realize on predictable weather. We can probably survive warmer summers but our agriculture system depends on knowing little things like whether they will have the water to plant crops next year. A lot of states, especially in the border south, just do not have the infrastructure or the building codes to deal with exceptional cold snaps and building contractors in Alaska* would appreciate if the permafrost would stay frozen. Yes, people can deal with crazy temperature extremes, but living in a climate where a loss of power can kill you forces people to invest in expensive backups like a generator or heater, or take your family’s life in your hands. That in turn forces everyone to learn about things like carbon monoxide and the difference between regular gas that will not go bad within a few months and ruin your small motor, and the ethanol-added kind that will. Of course you can live in an unpredictable and highly variable environment. It just costs a lot more to keep something like a first-world quality of life.

(*) Alsotoo, the trans-Alaskan pipeline.
http://www.balloon-juice.com/2014/01...ving/#comments