Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Gulfstream Park

Default Red Sox players classy too today

As much as it hurts me to say this also!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3301195

Players all stood up for asst coaches and trainers for them to get the same $40,000 bonus pay for Japan trip as players get!

Way to stick it to MLB...especially for the athletic trainers !!!

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Old 03-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Flemington

It's an excessive amount of money.That's the problem,in general,that baseball(players, and the league) has ignored.They are out of touch with the common person.It used to be a regular guy's sport,but it is not anymore.Why are you paying 40k to somebody(who isn't going to even play) to go to Japan? What are their expenses? What is 40k needed for? Try 10k. This attitude in baseball is out of control.Paying the excessive amounts they charge fans is almost as bad as paying $100-$300 to see Lion King etc.Nothing will match that(well,o.k. Spitzer paying 4k for a ho.)
Old 03-19-2008, 03:23 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
It's an excessive amount of money.That's the problem,in general,that baseball(players, and the league) has ignored.They are out of touch with the common person.It used to be a regular guy's sport,but it is not anymore.Why are you paying 40k to somebody(who isn't going to even play) to go to Japan? What are their expenses? What is 40k needed for? Try 10k. This attitude in baseball is out of control.Paying the excessive amounts they charge fans is almost as bad as paying $100-$300 to see Lion King etc.Nothing will match that(well,o.k. Spitzer paying 4k for a ho.)

Scuds, whats the most you ever payed for a ho?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Gulfstream Park

Hang on...MLB is going to make several million from two teams playing exhibition, regular season and put on clinics and the ONLY people who get $$$ for going are the players and Francona. The asst coaches and staff get nothing? The ORIGINAL contract each team signed with MLB was for all in the traveling party to get the stipend. MLB then tried to change the deal hours prior to leaving.

Thats like saying ONLY the head coach and team players get Super Bowl money. Asst Coaches and team staff get a handshake, and BTW, they get told right before kickoff. It's ALL or none in successful team sports. When NFL teams got to Europe, everybody on the travel party gets the same stipend. This was just bad by MLB.

Take it from a person who has worked in sports over thirty years:

I remember as a trainer back in 1985 when we went to the Final Four. The head coach got a ring of real gold. The asst coaches and players got one in gold tone metal and the trainer (me) and Sports Info press person and team managers got NOTHING! We're we happy about all the Xtra time we spent away from our families only to get boned in the end!

When I did the Olympics in '92, my team won the bronze medal. What did the team trainer get again...thats right, nada. Eight weeks away from my family prior to the Olympics and I was the only one not in the medal ceremony! I for one am ecstatic that the Red Sox stood up for whats right and reward all the travel party the same...

Crap, in horse racing, I have NO PROBLEM paying my trainer, groom, hot walker and anybody else who helps keep my horses healthy and fit a bonus % of the purse winnings. None at all. Make the people who MAKE THINGS happen proud to be part of an organization, not ignore them as servants. But thats just me!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Randwyck

I don't think coaches get medals either.
I remember LaSorda sitting in the dugout as his team was honored.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club
I don't think coaches get medals either.
I remember LaSorda sitting in the dugout as his team was honored.
They get 'em...just not on the medal stand. They bring additional to locker room for coaches. USA basketball ordered additional for their staff after Barcelona.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Del Mar

$40K is absurd. . .
Old 03-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Oriental Park

The players are now protesting that the guy that stands outside the players lot and flags in team personnel should get a 50k bonus for staying in Boston.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Sha Tin

I dont understand why people think that MLB shouldnt pay these guys 40k if that is what they agreed to. If you were promised 40k and were told the day before you were getting nothing how would you feel? Like SC says, MLB not only will make tens of millions on this trip, it is a 6 1/2 billion dollar business. Good for the players for sticking up for the rest of the team.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I dont understand why people think that MLB shouldnt pay these guys 40k if that is what they agreed to. If you were promised 40k and were told the day before you were getting nothing how would you feel? Like SC says, MLB not only will make tens of millions on this trip, it is a 6 1/2 billion dollar business. Good for the players for sticking up for the rest of the team.
They should pay them(if they made that deal.) They should never have agreed to pay them 40k in the first place.They've already started turning the sport into an elitist situation.If they want to keep raising prices on the fans,then stop giving 40k to support people (when 10k is just fine.)
Old 03-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
They should pay them(if they made that deal.) They should never have agreed to pay them 40k in the first place.They've already started turning the sport into an elitist situation.If they want to keep raising prices on the fans,then stop giving 40k to support people (when 10k is just fine.)
The owners are making tons of money. They raise prices on the fans because they can without seeing demand drop. Tickets or concession prices are not related to payroll. The real bs is when teams take the money from MLB and keep it, not trying to improve the team.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
The owners are making tons of money. They raise prices on the fans because they can without seeing demand drop. Tickets or concession prices are not related to payroll. The real bs is when teams take the money from MLB and keep it, not trying to improve the team.
I don't go much anymore.I went a lot in the 70's-80's,but it's gotten out of hand.It's like they forgot there are 81 home games.It isn't that unique.People have no discipline.That's why all the debt in this country...I ain't gunna go much anymore.You're right,they will find others to rip off.People who downgrade their housing just to piss money away on cars and entertainment.Live in a **** neighborhood in a condo or apartment(rather than a house.)Dodger Stadium bleachers are full of that type.