Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Aqueduct

Default Pletcher going to California

Pletcher to have California string
By DAVID GRENING
Having dominated racing on the East Coast for the last several years, two-time Eclipse Award winning trainer Todd Pletcher will try to make an impact on the West Coast this fall and winter.
Pletcher confirmed Monday that he will be sending a string of horses to Southern California beginning with the opening of the Hollywood Park meet, which begins Nov. 1. Pletcher will keep horses stabled at Hollywood Park through at least the winter/spring meet at Santa Anita.

Pletcher, who has more than 150 horses in training, said it is still unclear how many horses he will be sending to California, but it will likely be between 20 and 40.

"Depends how many owners are interested," he said.

Pletcher said the main reason for opening up a division in California is the state's decision to implement a synthetic surface at its three racetracks. Hollywood Park's fall meet will be the first to utilize such a surface.

"The main reason is Polytrack is out there," Pletcher said. "We thought about going out there before, but one of the concerns was always how safe the surfaces are out there. Obviously, the purses are good. Mr [Michael] Tabor wants his horses training on Polytrack when possible."

Interesting news
Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Sha Tin

Pletcherism spreads.....first Ellis Park...now California....what's next? El Commandante?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:30 PM
The Curragh

Frankel and D Wayne did it now he is going to as well. Baffert attempted it but most of his good assistants went on their own like Tim Yakteen and John Good, Harty
Old 09-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Pletcherism spreads.....first Ellis Park...now California....what's next? El Commandante?
I think it's actually pretty big news he's going to California and a big reason for doing so is Polytrack. When the leading money-won trainer makes a move like this, it's news.

As an aside, I've spent many a fine afternoon at El Commandante. Always an enjoyable visit.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Jerome Park

He is moving about 15% of his stock out there. Hardly a significant move.

Truth is it's better for everyone. Now he won't control 70% of the horses eligible for every non-claiming condition....only 50% of them.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 PM
oracle80

Stud,
Thats not the real reason. I told you this past summer I had spoken to more than one trainer(Todd wasnt one of them) who was fed up with the purses and lack of allowances and msw's at Gulf. There are more who will announce it in the future.
But none of em are gonna come out and bash Gulf. 1) because they all train for or want the opportunity to train for Stronach. 2) Because they don't want their stall space reduced.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Arlington Park

15% of his ytd earnings would put him ahead of all but a handful of West coast trainers. It also affords him a new pool of potential clients. I can't imagine any of the West coast trainers are doing handstands in celebration that Pletcher's going west. Hardly insignificant.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
He is moving about 15% of his stock out there. Hardly a significant move.

Truth is it's better for everyone. Now he won't control 70% of the horses eligible for every non-claiming condition....only 50% of them.
Sure it is a significant move any time the leading trainer in the Country annouces he going to a new venue it doesn't matter if he takes only 10 horses out there.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Jerome Park

The guy trains hundreds of horses. He controls an unprecedented number of the most expensive and well bred yearlings every year. How can anyone be surprised that he eventually sent a string to California.

Sorry if I'm hardly shocked or bowled over by this news.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Sha Tin

Just speculation but I would believe that he has so many young horses that are maidens and nw1x he needs to find new places to expand to. I mean how many maiden special weight horses does he have that are within a work or 2 of racing. With full divisions at Belmont, Saratoga, Monmouth, Delaware, and Churchill, where else could he expand to?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Stud,
Thats not the real reason. I told you this past summer I had spoken to more than one trainer(Todd wasnt one of them) who was fed up with the purses and lack of allowances and msw's at Gulf. There are more who will announce it in the future.
But none of em are gonna come out and bash Gulf. 1) because they all train for or want the opportunity to train for Stronach. 2) Because they don't want their stall space reduced.
When Gulfstream starts, the Santa Anita meet will be going on. Pletcher did not say that he will run horses at Santa Anita. The track is terrible there. It will be interesting to see if he keep the horses out here once Santa Anita starts. The article only said that he will run them at Hollywood this Fall. It didn't say anything about running at Santa anita this winter.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Stud,
I follow. But why California? Why not Oaklawn or Fair Grounds?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Just speculation but I would believe that he has so many young horses that are maidens and nw1x he needs to find new places to expand to. I mean how many maiden special weight horses does he have that are within a work or 2 of racing. With full divisions at Belmont, Saratoga, Monmouth, Delaware, and Churchill, where else could he expand to?

That's pretty much what I was trying to say ( obviously not that well ).
Old 09-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

By 2010, every track in america will be poly. They just have to tweak it but it is safer and lets horses run more frequently. Pletcher is smart to go out there. He may hit $30M next year.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Jerome Park

It is far more likely that in 2010 Todd Pletcher will train every horse in America than every surface will be Polytrack.

Not sure which is a scarier thought.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Aqueduct

I must be reading this differently than some of you guys the only reason he is expanding to California is on account of the polytrack. More than likely it is to keep Michael Tabor happy too. He wants all of his horses training on it when ever possible.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostradamus
By 2010, every track in america will be poly. They just have to tweak it but it is safer and lets horses run more frequently. Pletcher is smart to go out there. He may hit $30M next year.
I don't know if every track will switch. There are some places where I don't think they need it. I think the tracks in New York are very good. I don't think they need it in New York.

It will be interesting to see how the fans and bettors embrace polytrack in California. Some people like Oracle say that a lot of big bettors say that they won't bet on California racing once polytrack is installed. If Oracle is right and the handle goes way down, I don't think that you will be seeing polytrack at too many other tracks. I don't know if Oracle is right or not. My guess is that the fans will be fine with it. It make take them a little while to get used to it but I think they will embrace it within a relatively short period of time. I could be wrong.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Pen
I must be reading this differently than some of you guys the only reason he is expanding to California is on account of the polytrack. More than likely it is to keep Michael Tabor happy too. He wants all of his horses training on it when ever possible.
I think you are right.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I think you are right.
Then why do his KY horses train at Churchill Downs instead of Turfway? What do you think he going to say? "I have so many freaking maidens that I cant possibly run them all. Please dont send me anymore!" Business expand when they are growing and no business in racing is growing more than Todd Pletchers.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:28 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I follow. But why California? Why not Oaklawn or Fair Grounds?
Guys the stakes schedule at SA is heavily loaded with grass stakes, that actually have decent purses.
Pletcher is known for his fast and early two year olds but if you really look at his stable these days hes amassed a slew of grass horses and he simply doesnt have the venue at Gulf to run them all.
The purses there are very good as well. The polytrack thing just sounds like an excuse to me as Santa Anita will not be conducting racing on polytrack.
Gulfstreams racing has been woeful, especially the last two years.
They have a few Saturdays with a bunch of stakes races but the weekday and even Sunday cards are just disastrous. Dominated by cheap claimers and maiden claimers.
Makes no sense to race everything there that has to go on grass.
He will have a full division at Aqueduct and a full division at Gulf and the group at SA, which I will bet will be heavily loaded with grass horses.