Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM
The Curragh

Alky's are sick just like someone who has cancer.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost View Post
well, except alcoholics can decide to get better. but i'm comforted in knowing that since it's a disease, that the americans with disabilities act seems to help a drunk trucker keep his job on the road.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost View Post
*wanking motion* - Everyone with cancer
Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3 View Post
Yeah that is conclusive for a jock being under the influence......perhaps the mounts he's riding have a tad to do with a lack of winning and poor earnings....

Surely Baze sees sleeping without CS to be quite uncomfortable......It's not a reach to understand his point.

The men and women who have given their lives for this country find your analogy beyond repulsive, the connection between the problems of the Baze family though clearly a reason for sincere empathy, and this hideous war, is like blaming CPR for killing patients who receive it when they drop from sudden cardiac death.

They both are in severe pain but have nothing to do with how they experience it or why it occurred to them.
One unfortunately creates their own pain, the other is trying to save lives and cares little about their own pain as a consequence of saving the lives of others.....
Surely there must be a law in Bykland strictly prohibiting PUI.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Flemington

Posting this here, because it's really not new thready worthy.

But just noticed that Kala Stra(54 4 1 2) has more wins at Del Mar than Mike Smith (58 3 4 5 {one win is from that ridiculous match race}). I think that's unbeeelieevable.........
Old 09-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
well, except alcoholics can decide to get better. but i'm comforted in knowing that since it's a disease, that the americans with disabilities act seems to help a drunk trucker keep his job on the road.
drunk trucker loses license and job with dui/dwi
Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post

But just noticed that Kala Stra(54 4 1 2) has more wins at Del Mar than Mike Smith (58 3 4 5 {one win is from that ridiculous match race}). I think that's unbeeelieevable.........
Are her wins all from the turf?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin4ever View Post
Are her wins all from the turf?
I honestly don't know, but it really doesn't matter. You would think that Smith is also getting much better horses to ride. I was just shocked when I saw it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblin4ever View Post
drunk trucker loses license and job with dui/dwi
Citing a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Obama administration is suing a trucking company for taking the keys away from an Arkansas driver and eventually firing him after he admitted he was battling alcohol abuse.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission filed a lawsuit this week arguing that Old Dominion Freight Line discriminated against Charles Grams by stripping him of his position and offering him a demotion even if he completed a substance abuse counseling program.

Instead, the EEOC argued, the North Carolina-based company, which has a service center in Arkansas, should have complied with the law, known as the ADA, while ensuring safety.

“The ADA mandates that persons with disabilities have an equal opportunity to achieve in the workplace,” said Katharine Kores, director of the EEOCs Memphis District Office, which covers Arkansas. “While the EEOC agrees that an employer’s concern regarding safety on our highways is a legitimate issue, an employer can both ensure safety and comply with the ADA.”

Steve Hayward added this from Lachlan Markay of the Heritage Foundation explains:

If the EEOC prevails, of course, it will mean that Old Dominion will still be liable both for any damage to life or property that results from a potential relapse by one of its recovering drivers – which in turn increases the risks involved in investment in the company – and for the cost of trying to ensure that such damage never occurs. All of these new burdens will raise Old Dominion’s cost of doing business, and hence the cost of everything they transport. And all of this can’t possibly ensure that a recovering driver does not relapse without the company’s knowledge.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I honestly don't know, but it really doesn't matter. You would think that Smith is also getting much better horses to ride. I was just shocked when I saw it.
Matt, He really seemed to take a very casual attitude there this meet - almost as if he was riding as a favor for certain trainers/owners. His mounts were never world beaters but certainly much more live than anything thrown Stra's way, and few and far between (58 total for the meeting).

Stra on the other hand, never had anything live and just rode her guts out. Almost funny to see Baffert use her on Sunday - any time a Baffert firster goes off @ 6-1, it might as well be 66-1. If they're even rumored to be live they get crushed. I thought she had a great meet and hope she gets some classier opportunities @ SA.

I can't and won't try to physically tie Baze's struggle with his work, but it was crystal clear that something was way off with him. He ruined a bunch of winning efforts as his timing was off and his reactions were not fluid. Cost me a pick 4 on Sir Bell's drop in class (watch the race - it is a perfect example of what I'm describing) who went on to win two in a row without him. That was just one example of at least 6 other rides I could reference.

Hope he gets the help he needs and comes back stronger... shame to see talented people destroy themselves.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Really? You were shocked? The guy hasn't ridden like a top rider in 5+ years. If it weren't for Zenyatta, no one would even know his name anymore.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Really? You were shocked? The guy hasn't ridden like a top rider in 5+ years. If it weren't for Zenyatta, no one would even know his name anymore.
I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of him Joey, but to be behind Kala Stra?
I just assumed that he was still considered a go to jock out there and although he was riding fewer mounts, many of them were live.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

Whoa I had no idea!

Fun thread.

Back to Tyler... Poor kid has been through a lot. I wish him all the best.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Aqueduct

Default Any Tyler Baze updates?

I saw a HRTV's Inside Information piece about Tyler Baze. It commented about his struggles with alcohol but was probably produced about a year ago.

Anybody have an idea what is happening with Tyler now?

The DRF link below says he remains suspended and still has not satisfactorily served a 30 Rehab Program mandated by the SoCal stewards.

http://www.drf.com/news/hollywood-ty...-entered-rehab
Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickhorse View Post

Anybody have an idea what is happening with Tyler now?

Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i would imagine what's happening with tyler is that he's still denying he has a problem, that he can quit at any time, but right now he doesn't want to quit drinking.
he will either realize he has a problem and do something about it...or he will decide he doesn't, and will end up dying in an alleyway. feel bad for his family-it can't be fun watching someone self-destruct and be helpless to do anything about it.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
[
I guess the poor guy has taken to having to book his own mounts for his comeback.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post

Very classy. You should be so proud. Humor at another hurting human's expense.

What makes the internet such a lovely place.

Hold your head high. It must be a great day for you.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Very classy. You should be so proud. Humor at another hurting human's expense.

What makes the internet such a lovely place.

Hold your head high. It must be a great day for you.

what was wrong with it? the guy is mocking someone who is wasting his life and talents. i don't know that tyler is the victim here. his issues are self-inflicted. he has the ability to rise above it, but right now chooses not to. if he's hurting, it's his own fault.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
what was wrong with it? the guy is mocking someone who is wasting his life and talents. i don't know that tyler is the victim here. his issues are self-inflicted. he has the ability to rise above it, but right now chooses not to. if he's hurting, it's his own fault.
If you don't know what's wrong with that posting. Explaining it to you would be useless.

Is it the FAULT of someone that's hurting because of Cancer, or MS or any other debilitating disease? None of those self inflicted.

Your ignorance and insensitivity is even more frightening than Coach's hate.

Unbeileveable!