Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Len Who?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
This discussion is about as fruitful as a discussion between Pro Lifers and Pro Choicers.

Come to think of it, those two discussions are pretty similar, save the blood throwing and stuff.
Sometimes you just can't stop from posting even though you know you shouldn't
Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Sometimes you just can't stop from posting even though you know you shouldn't
Yep. I figure why should everyone else get to do that. I don't want to feel left out.

What's your excuse?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I think it was stupid for Crist to say this:

The idea that Rachel Alexandra "ducked" the Travers for an easier spot in the Woodward is preposterous. The seven 3-year-olds who ran in the Travers had combined to win 21 races, $3.5 million, and 10 graded stakes. The seven older horses she will face in the Woodward Saturday have won 44 races, $8.5 million, and 14 graded stakes. It's not a stellar group, but it's a better one than assembled for the Travers.

Duh. They are all older horses and have had many more races. They've got 23 more wins but only four more graded stakes races. Comparing the fields in that way was completely stupid.

I also think it was stupid for Beyer to say this:

3-year-old fillies who beat top males have usually tailed off after their great triumphs. Winning Colors captured the 1988 Kentucky Derby brilliantly and never won another race of consequence. Rags to Riches defeated Curlin in the 2007 Belmont Stakes, lost her next start, and never raced again.

Is he really going to hold her losses to Personal Ensign and her brilliant Preakness effort against her and just hold on to the fact that she never won a big race again? He acts like she just fell off and was never the same and that's just not true. Didn't Seattle Slew lose his first start after the TC? Didn't Sunday Silence lose his first start after running in the TC races? Didn't Smarty Jones run in the TC, concluding with a very hard race in the Belmont and never run again? For Beyer to insinuate that it was because Rags ran against the boys that caused her to lose her next start and never run again is just, in a word, stupid.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-05-2009, 12:36 AM

Personally, I do not want to see Rachel in the BC. If the BC was on dirt, of course I'd want to see her there and would expect her to be there. But with it being on junk track, I don't have the same expectations. I don't think it makes any sense at all to hold our dirt championships on a plastic track. So what if Rachel won on it in a low class race.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Personally, I do not want to see Rachel in the BC. If the BC was on dirt, of course I'd want to see her there and would expect her to be there. But with it being on junk track, I don't have the same expectations. I don't think it makes any sense at all to hold our dirt championships on a plastic track. So what if Rachel won on it in a low class race.
I would pay to watch her pull a carriage thru Central Park. The idea that you don't wish to watch an extraordinary horse male or female is weird. There is nothing wrong with Pro Ride and calling it junk is suppose to mean what? Its just not dirt and its not grass its poly. I hope Jess changes his mind but I see any reason why he should or will.

Last edited by freddymo : 09-05-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
Yep. I figure why should everyone else get to do that. I don't want to feel left out.

What's your excuse?
Freddy
Old 09-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Freddy
Your a mean man you probably starve your horses like Pags
Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
I would pay to watch her pull a carriage thru Central Park. The idea that you don't wish to watch an extraordinary horse male or female is weird. There is nothing wrong with Pro Ride and calling it junk is suppose to mean what? Its just not dirt and its not grass its poly. I hope Jess changes his mind but I see any reason why he should or will.
Who said I don't want to see her? I'd love to see her run. I just want to see her at her best. It's very possible that she could love the junk more than she loves the dirt. It's equally possible that she hates it. It's a 50/50 thing and those odds aren't good enough for me. It's 50% chance that she loves it, runs well, and cements her place in history by showing her versatility and beating Zenyatta. It's 50% chance that she hates it and finishes up the track. Why anyone would want to see that happen is what's weird to me. Dirt championships should be decided on dirt. The end.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Sorry I thought your post above stated ,"Personally, I do not want to see Rachel in the BC." my bad..
Old 09-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Flemington

Quote:
It's a 50/50 thing and those odds aren't good enough for me. It's 50% chance that she loves it, runs well, and cements her place in history by showing her versatility and beating Zenyatta. It's 50% chance that she hates it and finishes up the track. Why anyone would want to see that happen is what's weird to me. Dirt championships should be decided on dirt. The end.

Assuming it's the same Pro Ride surface as last year ... and assuming we are talking about a 10 furlong distance over the same Pro Ride as last year ... only a fool would think it's a 50/50 thing. More like 20/80

Factor in that Steve Asmussen trains her ... I'd MUCH rather have Johnny Velazquez, and his active 62 race losing streak, ride my turf router and take him 5 wide both turns than have Steve Asmussen train my synthetic horse.

Factor in that the field is likely to include Rail Trip .. a horse who went wire-to-wire with a triple digit Beyer in his 6f career debut.

All of a sudden a 20/80 thing starts looking like a 2/98 thing.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Sorry I thought your post above stated ,"Personally, I do not want to see Rachel in the BC." my bad..
That's exactly what I said. I want to see her given a chance to run her best race. I don't want to see her run on a track that has a really good chance of compromising her best race.