Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Stuck in 1994

Default Vineyard Haven Sold...

He's off to Dubai.. my condolences to his fans...

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/47866.htm
Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Oaklawn

There goes any shot at future wagers on him and or Midshipman.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Jerome Park

Smart move by Frankel.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Randwyck

The Sheikh has every right to do this and to buy every horse under the sun if he wants, but frankly it disgusts me. However, as I don't think he's got a prayer of winning the Derby using his methods, a part of me is smiling.

Seriously, it does disgust me. The Sheikh throws more $$$$ at people than they could ever expect to see in a lifetime ($$$ which is pocket change to him) and who could turn that down? The man practically has a monopoly on the sport except for families like the Phipps and Farishes. I don't begrudge in any way Sheikh Mo's $$$ - not at all. I just find this a sad state of affairs.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Oaklawn

If I were Frankel, I'd take the money too. That said, the fan in me doesn't think it's good for the sport and the "fan of Vineyard Haven" in me is disappointed. I think that this is a very good colt, who was in the hands of an top class horseman, always a good combination.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Stuck in 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Smart move by Frankel.
I wonder how much the “offer I couldn’t refuse” was...

I'll be generous and say the next time we see him in the US, it will be in an allowance race at Saratoga...
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 PM
The Curragh

Frankel wins tons more money each year than a lot of trainers. What does he need the Sheik's money for? If I were him, I'd have kept Vineyard Haven and have a chance at the Derby.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I like it. If he can stay healthy, I think this finally gives them a legit shot at winning the Derby and I've been rooting for that for a long time. I don't believe that wintering in Dubai is a disadvantage.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Jerome Park

How is buying the best 2YO in training, after his 2YO season, any kind of accomplishment should the horse win even the KY Derby?

All it shows is that they can outspend everyone and that they lack imagination. Considering their results, for the money they have spent, they need to win two or three Triple Crowns before you could even consider them close to over achieving.

Frankly, they have a lot more to prove after this year's purchase of the breeding rights to Pyro.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Randwyck

Frankel made a smart decision. It's very easy to say "I wouldn't have sold" or "he has enough money so he shouldn't have sold" and so on.

I don't count other people's money (except professionally), however, it's fact that time and time again the proverbial offer has made people far wealthier than Bobby Frankel succumb to selling. Offers such as these gets people like those who Frankel might train for to sell.

Eric
Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
Frankel made a smart decision. It's very easy to say "I wouldn't have sold" or "he has enough money so he shouldn't have sold" and so on.

I don't count other people's money (except professionally), however, it's fact that time and time again the proverbial offer has made people far wealthier than Bobby Frankel succumb to selling. Offers such as these gets people like those who Frankel might train for to sell.

Eric
How old is Frankel though? How many years left is he really going to have a chance at the KD? 20 more years? I would take every chance I could get at this race.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Oriental Park

Word is that Midshipman is leaving Bob Baffert's barn and is off to Dubai, too.

Should be one hell of a UAE 2000 Guineas Trial prep.

I bet Jose Adan ends up the most accomplished Godolphin 3yo next year.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Goodwood

It's not like this horse is sired by an AP Indy or Kingmambo type.

They probably offered more than the 5 mil they paid for Worldly Manner, who frankly was much better bred.

Pretty easy decision if you ask me.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Seriously? I mean, every sentence you wrote, seriously?
Yes. Aside from Ruler's Court, who was injured, I never thought any of the horses they bought and took over there or any of the horses they have brought back over for the race were legit threats. I think this is the first real one. And yes, I'm seriously rooting for them to get one.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 11-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
How old is Frankel though? How many years left is he really going to have a chance at the KD? 20 more years? I would take every chance I could get at this race.
I guess his age and remaining careeer wasn't part of the equation for Frankel. Like I said, it's very easy to say how you would walk wearing someone else's shoes.

Not that it matters to me, but theory-wise -- if Frankel truly has enough money (and who knows if there ever really is enough) then you have to look at the one factor that many feel they know, but certainly don't know as well as him . . . the horse. So if he truly has enough money and wants a Derby -- maybe he feels this isn't the horse to get it for him. This and the grassy knoll.

Eric

Last edited by ELA : 11-02-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
You failed to answer the part of your post I disagreed with the most. You don't think wintering in Dubai is a disadvantage for a horse trying to win the Kentucky Derby? How many more once promising horses need to be sent there, only to come back a fraction of what the once were, if they even come back to race at all? Do you think all of this is a coincidence?
No, I don't. It's also a matter of how much one thinks of the horses that have gone over there. I haven't thought much of the Derby prospects of any of the horses they've sent over before outside of Ruler's Court. Oh, and Discreet Cat. But I don't blame injuries on Dubai as many promising horses that don't go over there get hurt training here. So many people are quick to say that what they are doing doesn't work because they haven't had success yet. Does what Todd Pletcher does work? What about what Bobby Frankel does? For years, Wayne Lukas wasn't winning either. Without the right ammo, nobody can do it and I just personally feel they haven't had the right ammo.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:51 AM
Oaklawn

his left front leg looks like trash. This horse is not a derby contender.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:51 AM
Aqueduct

Maybe Joe Torre Can use his share of the money to Help sign Manny again
Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Saratoga

They also just bought Jose Adan from Catalano and family.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
the odds of this horse getting to, let alone winning, the derby is slim. the chance of getting the money they offered was a whole lot better.

now, his talk of if i had to do it over again, i regret it....that's unnecessary. laugh on the way to the bank and move on. if the horse manages to win, at least he can pat himself on the back for having recognized the horses raw talent back when he first started.