Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Big Brown did run well today and considering the overall quality of the US turf horses he would probably be reasonably competitive in many of our turf races, at least at 1 1/8 or less. However, that really doesn't mean a great deal, and for a horse many have heralded as a special horse, today's effort in some ways devalues his supposed abilities.

He's a very good horse. We all knew that. However, today's race did nothing to disprove the notion that he was simply born in the right year.
"He's a very good horse. We all knew that." I would challenge you to read many of the posts prior to this race about Big Brown and see how few actually say he's a very good horse.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Randwyck

There is no doubt that Big Brown, IEAH, and Dutrow are a "target" for criticism. That being said, I can certainly understand the supporters seeing "any" criticism as jaded and biased -- but I don't think that means that "all" criticism is neccessarily jaded and biased.

As far as being impressed, I was impressed with Big Brown in the Derby -- the way he did what he did, the ease in which he did what he did. Dutrow et al picked the 20, said what they were going to do, went out and did it. Period. Then, of course, will be the arguement that the crop is weak, he didn't beat anything, etc. That's another topic for another time.

Big Brown has accomplished a lot, no doubt. He's a very nice horse, a very good horse. Based upon what we've seen since the beginning of the year, and any jaded or biased opinions aside, I can also very much see someone not being "impressed" with how Big Brown did what he did today. Bad performance, no, certainly not. However, I can certainly the opinion that he didn't "live up to" some of the standards of what this horse allegedly was supposed to be -- a super-star, a very special horse, perhaps on of the greats to come along, etc.

Eric
Old 09-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerDoc
"He's a very good horse. We all knew that." I would challenge you to read many of the posts prior to this race about Big Brown and see how few actually say he's a very good horse.

You read what you want to believe. Everything is relative.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Big Brown did run well today and considering the overall quality of the US turf horses he would probably be reasonably competitive in many of our turf races, at least at 1 1/8 or less. However, that really doesn't mean a great deal, and for a horse many have heralded as a special horse, today's effort in some ways devalues his supposed abilities.

He's a very good horse. We all knew that. However, today's race did nothing to disprove the notion that he was simply born in the right year.
Well said.

Eric
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Newmarket

Quote:

That sums it all up.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
You read what you want to believe. Everything is relative.
It's not that easy. While I have been a huge supporter of Big Brown all year, the fact is, he has risen to the occasion in each race (except one and we still don't know what happened). There just aren't that many horses you can say that about. We aren't even talking Place or Show here. Every one mentioned above were all WINS! Nearly $4 million and more to come depending on how much he earns if he earns in the BCC.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
That sums it all up.

You're right....It sums up what a back-handed compliment is.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
It's not that easy. While I have been a huge supporter of Big Brown all year, the fact is, he has risen to the occasion in each race (except one and we still don't know what happened). There just aren't that many horses you can say that about. We aren't even talking Place or Show here. Every one mentioned above were all WINS! Nearly $4 million and more to come depending on how much he earns if he earns in the BCC.
The easiest 4 million ever by beating who???

Yeah, he's one of the greatest all time

Old 09-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

keep in mind now HHH, except for one race, he's been there every time. seriously roller is right. how many horses can you say that about??

actually, plenty come to mind for me. but who can blame the guy when the best horse he's seen or heard of is apparently afleet alex?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:

By beating every horse who faced him. He's not dodged anyone. He is not the greatest of all time, but he is the GREATEST in 2008.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
keep in mind now HHH, except for one race, he's been there every time. seriously roller is right. how many horses can you say that about??

actually, plenty come to mind for me. but who can blame the guy when the best horse he's seen or heard of is apparently afleet alex?
Who comes to mind Danzig????

I first saw Smarty Jones when I started learning horse racing. So I would say he is the best I've ever seen. Don't make fun of me because I am much younger than you. Just because the first horse you rooted for was Aristides, shouldn't spoil my fun.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
By beating every horse who faced him. He's not dodged anyone. He is not the greatest of all time, but he is the GREATEST in 2008.
And that's saying A LOT.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
And that's saying A LOT.

Well winning from the outside posts and blowing everyone away in The FL Derby and Kentucky Derby says quite a bit.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Who comes to mind Danzig????

I first saw Smarty Jones when I started learning horse racing. So I would say he is the best I've ever seen. Don't make fun of me because I am much younger than you. Just because the first horse you rooted for was Aristides, shouldn't spoil my fun.
That was pretty good
Old 09-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Coach Pants

RollerDoc is on fire!@!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Could Curlin beat Proudinsky by a head? I'll go out on a limb and say yes.
But could Curlin run down Coal Play too? Wait, is that even the name of the horse BB beat in the Haskell?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 AM

I for one was impressed. Not by the effort so much. It wasn't that great of a race. In fact, it was barely more than a good race. But for him to be able to win it, while finally facing good horses, was something that I was glad to see. It at least tells me that he was more than just the best horse of the sorriest 3yo crop I've ever seen. The horses he beat today weren't much but they were more than he's been facing. It's like the precocious high schooler that looks so dominant when facing his peers and everyone wants to see how he'll do when facing grown men. Well, BB wasn't facing an NBA all-star team out there today but it was a group of guys that have been decent college players. So that was something. It also enhances his stature for me because he has done it on both surfaces. I always give extra credit to those that are a little more versatile than others. I still don't think he's nearly as great as some others do and I still don't know if I'd say he's even a top five horse of this year but at least now I know he wasn't totally a product of his class.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
RollerDoc is on fire!@!
More like Big Brown's on fire. Seven wins out of 8 tries and throw the miss out until we really know what happened.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I still don't think he's nearly as great as some others do and I still don't know if I'd say he's even a top five horse of this year but at least now I know he wasn't totally a product of his class.
None of the horses you put in your top five have faced Big Brown. His resume this year is better than all of your choices. To say he isn't in the top five this year is ludicrous.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
None of the horses you put in your top five have faced Big Brown. His resume this year is better than all of your choices. To say he isn't in the top five this year is ludicrous.
To say he's the best horse of this year is criminal. So since none of them have faced him means that he's better than them? How about he's faced none of them either. His resume includes races that none of them were eligible for, save for Proud Spell. You are caught up in the names of the races but those races that Big Brown won were just horrible. HORRIBLE.