Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
He understands making deposits at the bank I bet.
I wish somebody would tell him moles can be taken off.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Are you absolutely 100% sure Frankel's horse wasn't going to lose? If so we were not watching the same race.
It's a judgement. In other words, they make the change opposite of the way you've stated it. They make a change if they are convinced(you say 100% etc.) another horse would of won if he wasn't fouled. They weren't convinced these horses were gunna beat this horse. They make a change to correct an obvious injustice in a placing. It's not obvious to them that they were gunna get by this horse.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Jerome Park

It was impossible to tell from the supposed head-on whether or not a foul actually occured.

The stewards made the right call. I don't understand why people here keep clamoring for more disqualifications.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Well, I can't explain to a trainer how boring this is for fans, because trainers get 10% of the 1st place money. It's not boring to you guys. It makes for a pretty useless race for us. One guy said pass the race. I would say pass the race. Joey tried to beat the Frankel, and lost. Your attitude is typical of trainers. They don't care if racing is that competitive. Short uncompetitive fields are in your best interest. Large competitive fields are in our best interest. Frankel's been jamming this chalk down people's throats in these bully situations forever. He is no friend of those wanting good competitive racing(again I don't expect you to care if the racing is very competitive.) Trainers n' fans have highly differing self interests.
This is not your best work. First of all Trainers are trying to win, it isnt our job to make races competitive just as it isnt the head coaches job to make a game that is a blow out closer so it will be more interesting for the fans. Secondly these races are the BEST races to bet as an over-hyped horse with a consistently over bet trainer in a tough situation is a great bet against especially because you are getting greater value on the other runners. Frankel probably wins 30% of the time in these situations and is probably over bet 80% of the time. You do the math.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I'd be hard pressed to remember a better four horse field than that one.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
This is not your best work. First of all Trainers are trying to win, it isnt our job to make races competitive just as it isnt the head coaches job to make a game that is a blow out closer so it will be more interesting for the fans. Secondly these races are the BEST races to bet as an over-hyped horse with a consistently over bet trainer in a tough situation is a great bet against especially because you are getting greater value on the other runners. Frankel probably wins 30% of the time in these situations and is probably over bet 80% of the time. You do the math.
In this particular type of class-break situation(stakes winner in a optional claimer,) the chance of beating him is not as you say. I wish it was. It really is a useless race. Can't wait until he is out of the game(this type of race is why.) A trainer can't relate.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 08-18-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Well, I can't explain to a trainer how boring this is for fans, because trainers get 10% of the 1st place money. It's not boring to you guys. It makes for a pretty useless race for us. One guy said pass the race. I would say pass the race. Joey tried to beat the Frankel, and lost. Your attitude is typical of trainers. They don't care if racing is that competitive. Short uncompetitive fields are in your best interest. Large competitive fields are in our best interest. Frankel's been jamming this chalk down people's throats in these bully situations forever. He is no friend of those wanting good competitive racing(again I don't expect you to care if the racing is very competitive.) Trainers n' fans have highly differing self interests.
Yeah, Frankel needs to start being a bad trainer and losing races so horseplayers can see competitive races. As Chuck says, it's not the trainers' roles to create a "fun betting race" for the bettors.
The filly damn near lost, it was a pretty contentious stretch run, the better horse won. She's a G1 winning filly in a NW2x for a trainer who's about 30% off the layoff. Trying to beat her makes sense if you are more afraid of being accused of being a chalk eating weasel than of tearing up tickets.
If you think she's a vulnerable fave, bet against but when she beats you it's moronic to scream about how bad she was.
It goes without saying that trainers and players have different interests. Trainers make money by running against "lesser" stock than their own.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Flemington

He looks for incredibly soft spots more than most. Could find a baby's soft spot in 1.5 seconds. They all do it, but this guy lives for it. It's crappy for the game. Bad race. Delay...Frankel Delay....A competitive race will follow after this one. We appreciate your understanding, and interesting betting races will resume shortly.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I don't understand why people here keep clamoring for more disqualifications.
You're biased against disqualifications. This has been established repeatedly. Never the less, your distaste for take downs is once again noted.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
The filly damn near lost, it was a pretty contentious stretch run, the better horse won. She's a G1 winning filly in a NW2x for a trainer who's about 30% off the layoff. Trying to beat her makes sense if you are more afraid of being accused of being a chalk eating weasel than of tearing up tickets.
Once again, she wasn't the fastest horse in the race on grass, and she is what's supposed to be a dirt filly being thrown onto turf. She was a terrible bet at 4-5.

This blanket "She's a Grade 1 winning filly" defense is totally lazy and worthless. It puts horses like this on the same plateau as true Grade 1 caliber horses. This filly beat freaking Grace and Power on Cushion Track.. If you think that automatically makes her into a different class of horse, then you're probably the same idiot who bet her the two times before yesterday.

Your "arguments" are exactly why the horse was bet down to those indefensibly low odds. People like you ignore form and just assume every graded stakes horse from a good layoff trainer is automatically a layover. It's a foolish way to bet, but I get the impression that you don't bet much, so I don't know why I'm surprised that this is your logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
If you think she's a vulnerable fave, bet against but when she beats you it's moronic to scream about how bad she was.
Yeah, because she was so damn impressive today. I forgot that if a horrible 4-5 favorite wins by a half-length after zig-zagging throughout the stretch, the horse retroactively becomes a good horse. Well done.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 AM
hrfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Once again, she wasn't the fastest horse in the race on grass, and she is what's supposed to be a dirt filly being thrown onto turf. She was a terrible bet at 4-5.

This blanket "She's a Grade 1 winning filly" defense is totally lazy and worthless. It puts horses like this on the same plateau as true Grade 1 caliber horses. This filly beat freaking Grace and Power on Cushion Track.. If you think that automatically makes her into a different class of horse, then you're probably the same idiot who bet her the two times before yesterday.

Your "arguments" are exactly why the horse was bet down to those indefensibly low odds. People like you ignore form and just assume every graded stakes horse from a good layoff trainer is automatically a layover. It's a foolish way to bet, but I get the impression that you don't bet much, so I don't know why I'm surprised that this is your logic.

Yeah, because she was so damn impressive today. I forgot that if a horrible 4-5 favorite wins by a half-length after zig-zagging throughout the stretch, the horse retroactively becomes a good horse. Well done.
anyone know what hush puppy means ?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Flemington

Once it sprayin', ain't no containin'......Just a keep on rainin'... rainin'...rainin'.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrfan
anyone know what hush puppy means ?

Seriously, good luck buying into hype horses like Country Star. I'll continue to bet against them.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
hrfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid

Seriously, good luck buying into hype horses like Country Star. I'll continue to bet against them.
i never said i bought into her, i was against her in the oaks and ashland, she was heavy at keenland and i did not touch her that day, i was 3 deep in pick 3's that day and used bsharp, little belle, and proud spell, country star was not even a option for me. i dont think shes anything special, but i do think she's above average/decent and is possibly best on turf.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 AM
hrfan

is hush puppy supposed to be a funny way of telling someone to shut up ?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
He looks for incredibly soft spots more than most. Could find a baby's soft spot in 1.5 seconds. They all do it, but this guy lives for it. It's crappy for the game. Bad race. Delay...Frankel Delay....A competitive race will follow after this one. We appreciate your understanding, and interesting betting races will resume shortly.
That is kind of his job. Put anything in the right company and it will win.

He sure didn't find an easy spot for Mast Track last out at 12-1 did he? Did you happen to get any of that one?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:45 AM
hrfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
That is kind of his job. Put anything in the right company and it will win.

He sure didn't find an easy spot for Mast Track last out at 12-1 did he? Did you happen to get any of that one?
i agree, some could say he is a master at picking his spots. a few years back he was easily the best trainer in the game, and is still today right up there.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

i agree with country star being left up.. i do not agree that the 7 horse in the feature it should have been dqed imo
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
It was impossible to tell from the supposed head-on whether or not a foul actually occured.

The stewards made the right call. I don't understand why people here keep clamoring for more disqualifications.
I have a different opinon, my problem with the non DQ yesterday stems from the lack of consistency with calls we have seen this summer, I've seen far less done at Delmar that resulted in a DQ for instance, as a horseplayer we are left scratching our heads? Still I thought the head on replay showed Country Star clearly veering into the path of Marie Rossa when she started to gain on her, to me this was blocking the path of another horse that wasn't beaten by much in the end anyway. For good measure she veered out again near the finish line, take these 2 incidents out and margin at the wire would have been alot closer than the 1/2 length difference. I understand keeping a horse up if they are clearly the best in the field but in this case. I think Marie Rossa deserved a better fate as she was running her race and all of the trouble was the result of Frankel's horse.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I have a different opinon, my problem with the non DQ yesterday stems from the lack of consistency with calls we have seen this summer, I've seen far less done at Delmar that resulted in a DQ for instance, as a horseplayer we are left scratching our heads? Still I thought the head on replay showed Country Star clearly veering into the path of Marie Rossa when she started to gain on her, to me this was blocking the path of another horse that wasn't beaten by much in the end anyway. For good measure she veered out again near the finish line, take these 2 incidents out and margin at the wire would have been alot closer than the 1/2 length difference. I understand keeping a horse up if they are clearly the best in the field but in this case. I think Marie Rossa deserved a better fate as she was running her race and all of the trouble was the result of Frankel's horse.
Precisely my opinion... the objective is not to increase DQ's but rather show consistency in their decisions.