Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I'm sorry Miraja, your post somehow rings far more negative than positive.

But somehow, he's managed to win often enough to net five million. Strange as it is.
If you think it is negative then apparently YOU are the one that associates running second with something negative.....don't put that on me. I respect a horse that is as consistent as he is.
Also, your statement that he has "won enough to net five million" is wrong in a couple of ways.
1) He hasn't earned $5 million.
2) A lot of the money he has earned has NOT just come from winning. This horse has finished second or third in 14 G1 and G2 races over the years. That pays quite a bit of money.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:18 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Some of you make these older guys, particularly Drift, in this thread sound like nothing but plodders. Same old, Same old, some things never change.

If one looked closely at Drift's past performance lines yesterday, they'd see that Murray Johnson brought Drift back similarly from a long layoff. Quite similarly.

I KNEW Drift would be short yesterday. I figured most knew that.

But to dog a horse like this that has made FIVE MILLION DOLLARS in his career on a racetrack-or one like Evening Attire, who has netted close, is a real abomination.

Its as cheap as one can get in this game where armchair opinions are so vital.

I know for a FACT, that there are not two owners in this sport that have, and always will have, the best interest of their horses at heart--than the owners of Drift and Evening Attire.

This sport would elevate itself with more owners having this level of integrity and concern for their horses and the overall condition of the game of horseracing.
grits at least you get it-well said- total lack of respect-they just rip.rip.rip when they get a chance. drift couldnt find a better owner then dr. reed
Old 04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Just so I don't step on any toes, what exactly is the threshold of dollars earned at which a horse becomes untouchable? $2 Million? $5 Million?

Nobody disputes that the horse has had a great career and has been a very productive individual, but I don't see how that eliminates the ability for someone to point out that the horse is not quite what he used to be and has never had a propensity for blowing by horses or for being a win machine. Those seem to be more statements of fact than they are statements of disrespect towards the horse's entire career.

And what the hell does any of it have to do with "honor?"

Talking about a horse's form being less than it used to be has no more to do with "honor" (or lack thereof as you've implied) than it has to do with blueberry pancakes.
yes brian, but pointing out that the horse isnt what he used to be ,what is obvious to any racing fan, constantly, is what gets old. did you need someone else or this thread to point that out to you or did you already figure that out that he takes alot of 2nds and when they come out next time when he takes a 2nd will you need someone on here to remind you of it or will this thread be enuff, because i guarentee someone will say he took 2nd again, and if you dont think some do it to get a rise your kidding yourself. usually i ignore it, i could care less. but grits does have somewhat of a legit point, but i also think you can say what you believe on this board and i don't hold bad feelings to no one, everyone has a right to what they think and what they percieve
Old 04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrift1
yes brian, but pointing out that the horse isnt what he used to be ,what is obvious to any racing fan, constantly, is what gets old. did you need someone else or this thread to point that out to you or did you already figure that out that he takes alot of 2nds and when they come out next time when he takes a 2nd will you need someone on here to remind you of it or will this thread be enuff, because i guarentee someone will say he took 2nd again, and if you dont think some do it to get a rise your kidding yourself. usually i ignore it, i could care less. but grits does have somewhat of a legit point, but i also think you can say what you believe on this board and i don't hold bad feelings to no one, everyone has a right to what they think and what they percieve
I guess I'm just not bothered by a thread pointing out the obvious. I didn't find any of the posts mean-spirited or denigrating to the horse or his career.

I don't need threads here to remind me of lots of things in racing, but news in racing is news in racing. Did you need a thread on this forum to know that Curlin won the Arkansas Derby or that Dominican won the Blue Grass yesterday? It was quite obvious to any racing fan even without looking at the forum. It's the same thing with Perfect Drift. Things that get discussed here ARE the news. If Drift wins his next race, someone will make a thread about it.

I agree that Grits had a point, in theory -- but nobody said the horse was awful, nobody bad-mouthed the horse in that thread. It was classic overreaction. Well, it was still semi-valid in the universal sense (that there ARE people out there who lose track of the fact that Drift has banked lots of cash...I just don't think anyone posting in the thread had done so), but the problem I have with it is that it was taken to a personal level towards other posters. Calling people dishonorable for talking about Drift's propensity to snag small slices takes it out of the realm of reality and into fantasy. The point was relevant in theory, but the whole "HARK! People are trashing Drift!" thing was a figment of someone's imagination.

Though he DID run second yesterday, like he has so many times before. Dishonorable as it may be to have a discussion about his running lines.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I have to say you are pretty confusing. First you were sure he was going to blow by the Biancone horse yesterday. Now you're saying he does run second a lot. Honestly you seem to be taking this way too personal. For the third time, I like Perfect Drift, he's a good horse. I like seeing him running still as well as the other two horses that were named. No one is being rude here IMO. But you and Grits seem to want to make this into more than it is. Why is it so bad to say he runs second a lot?
confused i'm not, first i realize he takes 2nd alot what does that have to do with me thinking he couldnt have beaten that horse with more ground.so me saying he takes seconed alot would discredit me saying hes going to win again - i think not-you want to lump them together when thier is nothing to it go ahead. one has nothing to do with the other. no hard feelings here you believe what you want and i will do the same. no big deal. i never said anyone was rude i said the repeats are just old i know you respect drift but some just love to rip him. like i said no big deal and no hard feelings drift rules
Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Well no one ripped him. But I have to ask, do you gamble?
i understand no one ripped him i was refering to the comment from grits that some do on this board and on others
Old 04-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
I guess I'm just not bothered by a thread pointing out the obvious. I didn't find any of the posts mean-spirited or denigrating to the horse or his career.

I don't need threads here to remind me of lots of things in racing, but news in racing is news in racing. Did you need a thread on this forum to know that Curlin won the Arkansas Derby or that Dominican won the Blue Grass yesterday? It was quite obvious to any racing fan even without looking at the forum. It's the same thing with Perfect Drift. Things that get discussed here ARE the news. If Drift wins his next race, someone will make a thread about it.

I agree that Grits had a point, in theory -- but nobody said the horse was awful, nobody bad-mouthed the horse in that thread. It was classic overreaction. Well, it was still semi-valid in the universal sense (that there ARE people out there who lose track of the fact that Drift has banked lots of cash...I just don't think anyone posting in the thread had done so), but the problem I have with it is that it was taken to a personal level towards other posters. Calling people dishonorable for talking about Drift's propensity to snag small slices takes it out of the realm of reality and into fantasy. The point was relevant in theory, but the whole "HARK! People are trashing Drift!" thing was a figment of someone's imagination.

Though he DID run second yesterday, like he has so many times before. Dishonorable as it may be to have a discussion about his running lines.
thats why i said i agree partially with her in my other post i didn't back all that she said i dont think anyone on here was dishonarable but i stand by the fact that sometimes like i said he doesnt get the respect sometimes from some people that he desrves. but i believe most respect him
Old 04-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Santa Anita

Let me just stay, I call Perfect Drift "DRIFTY". It is me. I have always called him that. It is meant as an endearment as I have loved this horse since his derby run.

I DO call Buck by many names: Buckers, Handsome, and when I am mad he gets "MR. NAKED!"

Sorry if you don't like it. I can't change who I am, but you don't have to put quotes "DRIFTY" like I am being stupid for loving a horse that has done more for racing than any "bernardini" type horse that runs off to the breeding shed after five or six races. Horse racing could use more Perfect Drift type horses IMO.

AND I WORE MY DRIFTY HAT PROUDLY AT MY HORSE SHOW TODAY!!!!!

I know you aren't bashing the horse because his earnings speak for itself. And I consider the fact that considering Drifty is still running competitively, unlike many other geldings IE: Funny Cide, I KNOW everyone on the board is smart enough to realize that DRIFTY should never be bashed.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Oh please. Call the horse whatever you want. Why do "Drifty" fans take this so personally. It's a good thing the "Drifty" fans don't really bet because you might not be so endeared to him. For the record, Funny Cide was competetive in races last year. He's lost a step, but honestly if you want to talk about doing stuff for the game "Drifty" pales in comparison to Funny Cide. Funny Cide puts people in the stands, why I have no idea, but he does. And really, I could care less about his earnings, or who his owner is or any of that. Imagine this all started because I said he ran second. Wow.

I bet him in his derby run! Have been being good lately and not betting on any horses.

Funny Cide is a good horse and his good for horse racing. Wasn't bashing him in that respect. Just saying atleast these guys stay around. I give Invasor's owners credit for running him this year.

I didn't take it personally what you said about Drifty running second, just that you were mocking my pet name for him.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:

Ok, so what you are saying here is it is alright to have threads here on every subject that YOU are interested in that pertains to horseracing.

So, I guess I understand this one.

Quote:
I agree that Grits had a point, in theory -- but nobody said the horse was awful, nobody bad-mouthed the horse in that thread.
You're right, absolutely not, they didn't--did they? And you're sure about that I know?

Quote:
It was classic overreaction.
No, not really. I'm wise enough to be aware of smartass undertone when I see it. And also wise enough to recognize that when an individual's comments are questioned, that they enjoy belittling others with accusatory arrogance. That one is effective as well, to those of us that have noted their crass, petty interjection. In this case, also admitting that they don't care what the animal has earned or what his owners think of the comment. Good for him.

And as far as Perfect Drift's following, or those that care about him and other older runners never betting--I'm pretty sure I put a good deal more through the windows in the last 3 days than he did.

Quote:
Well, it was still semi-valid in the universal sense (that there ARE people out there who lose track of the fact that Drift has banked lots of cash...I just don't think anyone posting in the thread had done so), but the problem I have with it is that it was taken to a personal level towards other posters. Calling people dishonorable for talking about Drift's propensity to snag small slices takes it out of the realm of reality and into fantasy.The point was relevant in theory, but the whole "HARK! People are trashing Drift!" thing was a figment of someone's imagination.

Get it right, when discussing me. I said, "I find no honor in speaking of the horse in a negative manner."

I called no one anything, and that includes "dishonorable."

And don't ever suggest a thing wrong with my imagination again--not in figment, fantasy or otherwise.

If anything does exist here it is the propensity for the immature 20 something to come out swinging everytime their mouth engages a tick faster than their know-it-all brain.

And remember this is all, certainly, nothing personal and not to be taken seriously by any means.

I wish I could be 27 again.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Grits, you are crazy.
That's my internet mom you're talking about.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Don't make me send you a threatening pm.
MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Monmouth Park

Not bothering you--I understand, why the reply?

Your being right on anything, I assure you, doesn't bother me. And if you recall, I apologized and thanked you for correcting me.

What I do loathe is your arrogance when you are wrong. And worse, the fact that a grown 27 year old doesn't have the balls to admit his comment was unnecessary.

Me, crazy, not a chance, unless one considers . . . a fox.

You, on the otherhand, are as transparent as an Xray, and as easily read.

Like I'm really mad at you, like you think that would be of significance to me.

DaHoss, you're a know-it-all, and when people disagree with you, and face you with it--you belittle them . . . something I'm attempting to do to you in return.

Crazy like a fox.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Monmouth Park

Keep standing. That's a good thing.

I'll continue to fly in the face of people like yourself. Those that are know-it-alls that insist upon their own negative contributions to make their points more valid.

I have a long, and very successful history/career with such individuals. It simply takes time, patience, and understanding to know them and realize where they're coming from and why they're there.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
You're crazy. He was absolutely flat in the stretch today. A couple? No way.
No argument with your seconditis comment, but if you look at the splits, those first two finishers did anything but flatten. They ran the last 1/16 a shade under 6 sec and the three quarters to the mile split in about :24, while wasting the rest of the field. PD wasn't likely to blow by anyone, but he actually gained abit of ground on the winner from the stretch to the wire...far from "absolutley flat".
Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Monmouth Park

These two, a length apart with over two lengths back to the rest of the field.

The winner, Stream Cat having 9 lifetime starts, a four year old coming back from a 266 day layoff and Perfect Drift having 42 lifetime starts, an 8 year old coming back from a 161 day layoff. This one twice the age of the winner.

Thanks for posting Zoe. It always helps to familiarize oneself with the chart, some involved in the thread may not have. That's too much trouble.

There's no doubt Perfect Drift is a champion racehorse, he could not have achieved what he did on Saturday, were he not.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
1.) Ok, so what you are saying here is it is alright to have threads here on every subject that YOU are interested in that pertains to horseracing.

So, I guess I understand this one.

2.) And as far as Perfect Drift's following, or those that care about him and other older runners never betting--I'm pretty sure I put a good deal more through the windows in the last 3 days than he did.

3.) Get it right, when discussing me. I said, "I find no honor in speaking of the horse in a negative manner."

I called no one anything, and that includes "dishonorable."

4.) And don't ever suggest a thing wrong with my imagination again--not in figment, fantasy or otherwise.

5.) If anything does exist here it is the propensity for the immature 20 something to come out swinging everytime their mouth engages a tick faster than their know-it-all brain.
This was so rich I don't even know where to start.

1.) I don't care who starts threads about what. This was news, and PDrift said that the thread was started to point out that he ran second again and that he runs second often, which was "obvious" to any racing fan. So was the fact that Curlin won the Arkansas Derby. So was the fact that Dominican won the Blue Grass. Therefore, starting a thread about Drift finishing second was no different at all.

2.) Not really sure that was ever the crux of the issue. It was mentioned, that he's a money burner, but never the crux of the issue. But you get your thing on and pretend that it was.

3.) Of course you didn't call anyone anything. The implication was plenty clear. "I find no honor in...." carries plenty of implications. If I say "I find no class in using an acronym as a message board name," that implies there is a lack of class in calling yourself Grits. Lack of class = classless. I find no class in having a first name that has two names in it. You = lack of class. Lack of class = classless. Of course I don't believe either of those, but please spare me the oh so wise, older than me implication that I somehow took some gratuitous semantic leap on that one.

4.) You made up the negativity in the thread. It was all in your head. Oops I may have just broken your new rule.

5.) Funny. All this time I thought it was people trolling around here that was obvious. You win.

Nothing personal, of course. But it appears you're edging off your rocker on this one.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
This was so rich I don't even know where to start.

1.) I don't care who starts threads about what. This was news, and PDrift said that the thread was started to point out that he ran second again and that he runs second often, which was "obvious" to any racing fan. So was the fact that Curlin won the Arkansas Derby. So was the fact that Dominican won the Blue Grass. Therefore, starting a thread about Drift finishing second was no different at all.

2.) Not really sure that was ever the crux of the issue. It was mentioned, that he's a money burner, but never the crux of the issue. But you get your thing on and pretend that it was.

3.) Of course you didn't call anyone anything. The implication was plenty clear. "I find no honor in...." carries plenty of implications. If I say "I find no class in using an acronym as a message board name," that implies there is a lack of class in calling yourself Grits. Lack of class = classless. I find no class in having a first name that has two names in it. You = lack of class. Lack of class = classless. Of course I don't believe either of those, but please spare me the oh so wise, older than me implication that I somehow took some gratuitous semantic leap on that one.

4.) You made up the negativity in the thread. It was all in your head. Oops I may have just broken your new rule.

5.) Funny. All this time I thought it was people trolling around here that was obvious. You win.

Nothing personal, of course. But it appears you're edging off your rocker on this one.
Morning B-Dub. Everyone needs one of these:

After skimming through this thread, I know I do.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Morning B-Dub. Everyone needs one of these:

After skimming through this thread, I know I do.

I just got up after a long night of them
Old 04-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Coach Pants

I think drinking is the problem with this thread.