Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Churchill Downs

Default Weather forecast getting iffy....

Good chance of soft footing on the turf even if the rains hold off Saturday. Laragh in the 8th tomorrow figures somewhere around even money and there is a reasonable chance that gets moved to the main track where she may have issues...first leg of the P4.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Oaklawn

I'd be surprised if they started taking stakes off the turf, unless it was a monsoon.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

YEAH, this isn't NYRA running the show down there.

I applaud them for staying on the turf so far this week, even while their main track is sealed.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Golden Gate

Would the connections risk running Zenyatta on a wet track first time back? Surely, this Grade 2 race would do nothing for her already impressive resume.

I am looking out my office window here in Louisville and I see no break in the clouds.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Churchill Downs

Proudinsky doesn't always run his best, but like most German horses, he handles softer turf without a problem, while others get bogged down. If it's yielding or worse, he is a strong contender.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
I'd be surprised if they started taking stakes off the turf, unless it was a monsoon.
It can't be more of a monsoon than they had the last two years.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahadur
Would the connections risk running Zenyatta on a wet track first time back? Surely, this Grade 2 race would do nothing for her already impressive resume.

I am looking out my office window here in Louisville and I see no break in the clouds.
When Sheriffs was on Steve's show the other day and was asked about that question he kind of took a "wait and see" approach. If it's muddy, I wouldn't be surprised if she scratched.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
I think they'll run the G1 stuff on, but I won't be surprised if they save it some for Saturday by taking something off Friday.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
When Sheriffs was on Steve's show the other day and was asked about that question he kind of took a "wait and see" approach. If it's muddy, I wouldn't be surprised if she scratched.
I would not be surprised either. Who can forget Chelokee in the slop last year on Oaks Day or George Washington in the BC Classic 2 years ago.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Les Bois

Since many of the starters do not have a start on an off track, any thoughts as to who moves up on an off track?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
Good chance of soft footing on the turf even if the rains hold off Saturday. Laragh in the 8th tomorrow figures somewhere around even money and there is a reasonable chance that gets moved to the main track where she may have issues...first leg of the P4.
Oddly enough she is cross entered in the 8 Belles. Didn't they see enough at the Aqueduct race?

No matter... there are 4-5 in the Edgewood I like better.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Fairgrounds

Default 135th Kentucky Derby Could Favor Mudders

http://www.accuweather.com/news-story.asp?article=3
Old 04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
It can't be more of a monsoon than they had the last two years.
Agreed- thank God for seats under cover last year. I learned my lesson in '07.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:

I have been told they would not run.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I would not be surprised either. Who can forget Chelokee in the slop last year on Oaks Day or George Washington in the BC Classic 2 years ago.
For the love of God. You sound as ridiculous as Shirreffs does when he mentions what happened to Eight Belles as part of the reason why he doesn't want to run Zenyatta against the boys. As if females can only be injured when racing against males. You are aware that there are PLENTY of occassions where horses run in the slop and don't break down aren't you? You are aware that there are PLENTY of times where horses run on dry dirt and do break down aren't you? Should he not run her if it's hard and dry because, after all, who can forget Ruffian or Go for Wand or Charismatic or Flanders or Old Fashioned or Lion Heart or.......well you get the point.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikegap
Since many of the starters do not have a start on an off track, any thoughts as to who moves up on an off track?
One Caroline and Modification
Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
For the love of God. You sound as ridiculous as Shirreffs does when he mentions what happened to Eight Belles as part of the reason why he doesn't want to run Zenyatta against the boys. As if females can only be injured when racing against males. You are aware that there are PLENTY of occassions where horses run in the slop and don't break down aren't you? You are aware that there are PLENTY of times where horses run on dry dirt and do break down aren't you? Should he not run her if it's hard and dry because, after all, who can forget Ruffian or Go for Wand or Charismatic or Flanders or Old Fashioned or Lion Heart or.......well you get the point.
I do get your point. But, if you owned Zenyatta would you run her in a Grade 2 in the slop first time back? I just do not see the logic in it as she is a once in a lifetime horse.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:26 PM
The Curragh

Great horses should be able to run in any condition.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Flemington

Yeah - but she's a California horse.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I do get your point. But, if you owned Zenyatta would you run her in a Grade 2 in the slop first time back? I just do not see the logic in it as she is a once in a lifetime horse.
First, I'd like to apologize for calling your ridiculous. That was uncalled for. I just get so bothered by that though. He talks about Eight Belles but won't mention Zarkava or Goldikova or Winning Colors or Serena's Song.

I would run her. Here's my thinking with her. If I owned her, I'd want to challenge her. I'd want to see just how good she really is. I could sit at home in Cali and run in all those weak races again and probably go undefeated and win the BC Distaff again. But where is the challege and the sporting courage in that? I'd want to take her to NY and have her run in some of those big races at Belmont and Saratoga. Fair or not, that's where the real history of the game is made, in races like the Ruffian and Beldame, not the Milady and Vanity or Lady's Secret. That's just the way it is. I'd want to say "I have the best horse period. Last year, you came to my house and I kicked your ass, now I'll come to yours and kick your ass again." I don't think she'll hurt her value with a loss or two or three. Especially not in a situation like this. Breeders already know what she can do. Now, I'd already know that if I'm planning on shipping her to NY this summer for some races, there's always a chance I could run into a sloppy track, especially at Saratoga. Might as well, get a look at how she does on it now.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine