Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Pimlico

Default Tom Durkin's call.

Tom always does a good job, but come on dude. Next time wear your glasses so you can call the horse shooting up the rail. I thought his biggest blunder mistake was calling the 04 Travers, the "belmont" stakes when Birdstone crossed the wire at Saratoga, but this call was terrible. Hey Tommy, get a clue..................
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Oriental Park

time to bring back Dave Johnson

this call had to be the worst in derby history, he never saw the horse , he sohuld have had a sign in his box - remember if see horse on rail , think borel
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

If it was Trevor, there would be calls for him to be put to death by now.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Dee Tee Stables

oh jesustapdancingchrist. could we not just have someone dig up the last 'race caller so and so sucked' post and put the next bad call in that thread?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointgivenpap
Tom always does a good job, but come on dude. Next time wear your glasses so you can call the horse shooting up the rail. I thought his biggest blunder mistake was calling the 04 Travers, the "belmont" stakes when Birdstone crossed the wire at Saratoga, but this call was terrible. Hey Tommy, get a clue..................

The race hadn't even finished yet and I said aloud "Durkin's asleep again".

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA
Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31lengths
The race hadn't even finished yet and I said aloud "Durkin's asleep again".

True story.
or knee deep in mint julep glasses. those things are good!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
time to bring back Dave Johnson

this call had to be the worst in derby history, he never saw the horse , he sohuld have had a sign in his box - remember if see horse on rail , think borel
Time to let Mark Johnson call the race to all....Great call on his part.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Sam Houston

I agree that was annoying. I see this horse charging down the stretch and I'm like ahhh! who the **** is that!?

However, has anyone else noticed that for the past year or two Durkin's voice always is annoyingly wavery during his calls? Drives me freakin batty. "And he-e-ere's M-a-a-acho Again on the outside."
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK
That's the call we got at Arlington, and though it was difficult for me to hear him with a group of drunken frat boys next to me screaming, "WHERE THE HELL IS CHOCOLATE CANDY?!?!?!" over and over, I thought it sounded like a pretty good call from him.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
That's the call we got at Arlington, and though it was difficult for me to hear him with drunken frat boys around me screaming, "WHERE THE HELL IS CHOCOLATE CANDY?!?!?!" over and over, I thought it sounded like a pretty good call from him.

Kentucky Downs was actually alot worse for annoying patrons on Oaks Day. I think it was Grandma's day out and since the Bingo hall across the street burned they ended up at KD.

There were 2.5 dollars of Trifecta tickets at KD cashed in the derby.. A mom and Daughter had a buck each, because they liked the name.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Oaklawn

Calling at Churchill is not easy... they run straight at you, literally. Its the horses shoulders and the jockey's sleeves for much of the stretch.

The crazy part about this Derby... there were three horses with the same silks (Winstar) and two others with the same silk (Bernie/Atomic).
Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Oaklawn

It's a Borel thing. Denman missed him even worse in the BC Juvenile...
Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
Calling at Churchill is not easy... they run straight at you, literally. Its the horses shoulders and the jockey's sleeves for much of the stretch.

The crazy part about this Derby... there were three horses with the same silks (Winstar) and two others with the same silk (Bernie/Atomic).
and another two with the same silks and different caps (Godolphin.) And mud covering everything, and on top of it, the most impossible horse in the race with the least distinguishiable silks.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Santa Anita

hey, he's a small horse . hard to see . give tom a break .
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK
Yeah, very good call I thought. His only mistake was that went back to the English (and correct ) way of pronouncing Derby near the end of the race, but that's forgivable.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone

All three Winstar horses had white caps. I'd have gone ballistic with the colors man!!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

To be fair, there's no way in hell any of you figured Mine That Bird would be exploding away from the pack. Durkin was probably too shocked to spit it out.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Flemington

Yeah - imagine the embarassment of calling that horse en route to a runaway win when it turns out it was some remotely logical horse that wasn't out of contact with the rest of the field early on.

The candance of his call wasn't Durkin-esque smooth when that huge inside move was made to the lead ... I think he saw it - but either couldn't believe what he was seeing enough to say MTB's name or perhaps he simply didn't know which horse it was making the move.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Yeah - imagine the embarassment of calling that horse en route to a runaway win when it turns out it was some remotely logical horse that wasn't out of contact with the rest of the field early on.

The candance of his call wasn't Durkin-esque smooth when that huge inside move was made to the lead ... I think he saw it - but either couldn't believe what he was seeing enough to say MTB's name or perhaps he simply didn't know which horse it was making the move.
covered in mud as they were, he probably had to refer to his notes-by then, the move was made.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Monmouth Park

I'm not gonna give him a hard time for this call. Who the fu*k expected Mine That Bird to come storming up the rail? It was equal to the day Denman missed Street Sense in the BC Juvy. I was only miffed at Trev that day because I bet SS with two hands and I have trouble picking the saddle towel numbers when they are all purple.

Tom was probably utterly stunned, as was I, sitting on my couch. I didn't have words either.