Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2008, 04:58 AM
Cahokia Downs

Default Anyone see the Calzaghe-Hopkins fight....

Interesting that the fight never really captured the imagination either in the US or even here.

Only 8,000 came over to support Joe-compared to the 30,000 that came for "Fatton" in December. The night after that fight Calzaghe was awarded the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award-which should have been an indicator that he's more popular than Hatton.

A split decision. Was it the right result?

One last fight-may be 2. Roy Jones-anyone else?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Santa Anita

got up to watch it this morning.. Calzaghe did very well to win from the start he got, Hopkins had him down within the 1st minute. Hpkins controlled the 1st 4-5 rounds before Calzaghe dug deep and got his game going. He probably deserved the win in the end..

#Grand
Old 04-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratogabrit
Interesting that the fight never really captured the imagination either in the US or even here.

Only 8,000 came over to support Joe-compared to the 30,000 that came for "Fatton" in December. The night after that fight Calzaghe was awarded the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award-which should have been an indicator that he's more popular than Hatton.

A split decision. Was it the right result?

One last fight-may be 2. Roy Jones-anyone else?
No way that was a split decision. Calzaghe won the fight. I'm not sure what the judge that gave the fight to Hopkins was watching.

Nothing uglier than a Bernard Hopkins fight.

My 4 year old daughter kept asking me why the guy in the blue kept pushing them apart. Even she would rather see boxing than constant wrestling and clinching.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Steve Byk

Chuck and I watched it. Too bad it couldn't go 15 like they're supposed to... Looked to me that Hopkins was getting Calzaghe to dance to his tune early, but that didn't last very long. It was a highly 'technical' fight. Calzaghe very tactfully scored with alacrity while not hurting Hopkins particularly. The lady judge must have been watching a different fight to score it the way she did.

Was the first time I had seen Calzaghe and I was impressed. Am sorry he hasn't fought in the US more and hope we see him come back for a few more deserving paydays. Seems very charismatic and genuine. Have to give credit to crazy Bernard too. He's had a great career.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Thistley Downs

I had forgot about this fight.

A Pavlik match up with this guy,should they both remain undefeated,within one year should happen..I would think.

Mighty Kelly Youngstown will destroy him.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Thistley Downs

Steve...I must not concur.

Boxing is brutal enough. Cutting back to 12 was a good thing. Frank Lee....I think 10 should be the max.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
pgardn

Hopkins showed that he is over the hill and
has been for a while. Joe C. U- decision.
Hopkins has been surviving through fights
with good fighters. (I dont consider Winky Wright
and A. Tarver top fighters anymore)
Joe C is not exactly young
and he just took control. Joe C is just a much
more active, more athletic, better fighter at
this point in their careers. Hopkins is just
a survivor at this time. Executioner... blah.
He knocks the guy down in the 1st round
and cant beat him. He could not execute
a good jab. Bernard please quit.

I say Kelly P. would knock them both out if
he goes up in weight, which he undoubtely will
as he matures. Hopefully Bernard will have quit
by then. I hope Joe C. hangs around a bit longer.
He still goes a full 12 rounds with gusto.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Flemington

I didn't see it, I spoke to my dad this morning - he thought Hopkins should have won a 3 point decision.

I guess for more than half of the fight he thought Hopkins was sweeping, including a 10-8 round - but judges have tendenices to give boring close rounds to the guy who's behind...and that makes the final rounds much more important in the overall scoring.

The Associated Press had the fight 114-113 for Hopkins .. pops seemed to think it was a very straight forward 115-112 for Hopkins...but if you didn't bother scoring round-by-round and just watched the fight you'd think he deserved to lose.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I didn't see it, I spoke to my dad this morning - he thought Hopkins should have won a 3 point decision.

I guess for more than half of the fight he thought Hopkins was sweeping, including a 10-8 round - but judges have tendenices to give boring close rounds to the guy who's behind...and that makes the final rounds much more important in the overall scoring.

The Associated Press had the fight 114-113 for Hopkins .. pops seemed to think it was a very straight forward 115-112 for Hopkins...but if you didn't bother scoring round-by-round and just watched the fight you'd think he deserved to lose.
Hopkins got beaten the last 5 rounds.
You are going to lose a fight that way.
Hopkins takes rounds off. Its the same
reason he lost to JermaineTaylor twice.
He cant go 12 full rounds anymore.

Punch stats totally Joe C.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Flemington

You scored it round by round Hossy?

Perhaps he had a bet on Hopkins... who knows.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Hopkins got beaten the last 5 rounds.
You are going to lose a fight that way.
If you've won the 6 previous rounds 10-9 ... you'd be up a point.

The problem is that most judges make the mistake of scoring rounds comparatively.

If a guy dominates early rounds - and he only very slightly does better through very boring middle rounds where nothing really happens - judges tend to score those rounds comparatively and give them to the guy who's been getting his ass kicked early on.

Maybe it didn't happen to as large of an extent as the cards of my dad (who had Hopkins winning by 3) - or the AP (who had Hopkins winning by 1) would indicate ... but there was a guy who had Hopkins losing by 5 .. and that after he scored a 10-8 round right off the bat.

Hopkins always was a master of doing just enough to win close boring rounds. I find it hard to believe he lossed serveal of them as the 116-111 would indicate - but hey, I haven't even watched the fight yet.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:56 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
If you've won the 6 previous rounds 10-9 ... you'd be up a point.

The problem is that most judges make the mistake of scoring rounds comparatively.

If a guy dominates early rounds - and he only very slightly does better through very boring middle rounds where nothing really happens - judges tend to score those rounds comparatively and give them to the guy who's been getting his ass kicked early on.

Maybe it didn't happen to as large of an extent as the cards of my dad (who had Hopkins winning by 3) - or the AP (who had Hopkins winning by 1) would indicate ... but there was a guy who had Hopkins losing by 5 .. and that after he scored a 10-8 round right off the bat.

Hopkins always was a master of doing just enough to win close boring rounds. I find it hard to believe he lossed serveal of them as the 116-111 would indicate - but hey, I haven't even watched the fight yet.
Makes sense. And Hopkins knows this.
But in a fight that is not a blowout,
you cant lose the last five rounds.
Hopkins knows this also. He just could
not do anything about it.

THe Bolded:
And in Hopkins last 3 loses he has been the
master of losing close fights.

Kinda sad. Because in his prime (the pummeling of Tito)
he was really very able, smart and a great counter puncher.
He WAS fun to watch.

Now he is purely a business man
who is making the most of his withering ability. He is doing
a great job in this realm. Saying he would never be beaten
by any White Boy(Joe C.). Against J. Taylor he said he would never
get beaten by any hick from Arkansas. He plays the masses
perfectly. Very smart.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Anothah Predetah

As usual,
I have
no idea
what
Pee Garden
is talking about.

I had the fight 115-112 for Calzaghe, but there were 4 rounds that I found very difficult to score. I gave 2 to BHop and 2 to Calzaghe, so I can see DrugS' dad and others thinking that Hopkins won.

Either way, the statement that Hopkins is over the hill and should quit is ridiculous. BHop clearly isn't what he once was, but he was very competitive against one of the best 3-4 fighters in the world, wasn't ever hurt, and is still be able to test anyone at 168 or 174. He does a lot of things very well, and I find him interesting to watch. I also have a lot of respect for a guy that has worked his way up from the very bottom to the top. But I guess if Pee Garden thinks it's time to go, he should just hang it up because he lost a close decision to an undefeated fighter.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Fires
As usual,
I have
no idea
what
Pee Garden
is talking about.

I had the fight 115-112 for Calzaghe, but there were 4 rounds that I found very difficult to score. I gave 2 to BHop and 2 to Calzaghe, so I can see DrugS' dad and others thinking that Hopkins won.

Either way, the statement that Hopkins is over the hill and should quit is ridiculous. BHop clearly isn't what he once was, but he was very competitive against one of the best 3-4 fighters in the world, wasn't ever hurt, and is still be able to test anyone at 168 or 174. He does a lot of things very well, and I find him interesting to watch. I also have a lot of respect for a guy that has worked his way up from the very bottom to the top. But I guess if Pee Garden thinks it's time to go, he should just hang it up because he lost a close decision to an undefeated fighter.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Anothah Predetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery_Smartman
TOO KIND !!

I would think if all goes well, Calzaghe will probably fight and beat Roy Jones, Pavlik will fight once or twice more at 160, and then Pavlilk and Calzaghe will meet at 168.

That will be a very fine fight.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Oh my, what are those? And Fate Lires, I mean Late Fires is correct, as usual.
Hee, Gossy.

Oh fucl<.

Wait a minute.

Gee, Hossy.....I thought you knew gold stars when you saw them.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
TOO KIND !!

I would think if all goes well, Calzaghe will probably fight and beat Roy Jones, Pavlik will fight once or twice more at 160, and then Pavlilk and Calzaghe will meet at 168.

That will be a very fine fight.

More fine work.

Gee wilikens.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Anothah Predetah

Quote:
Oh my, what are those? And Fate Lires, I mean Late Fires is correct, as usual.
Behooved.

After seeing your scorecard, I believe Hossy, Avery Smartman and Late Fires should be the three judges at ringside for Whodey-Zito at Saratoga.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
I'm a little slow.

You have been reading too much of Mr. Blueski's fine work.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Behooved.

After seeing your scorecard, I believe Hossy, Avery Smartman and Late Fires should be the three judges at ringside for Whodey-Zito at Saratoga.

ror!