Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
Steve Byk

Default Influence the '08 Breeders' Cup

Pleased to offer everyone here the opportunity to directly contribute to changes to the 2008 Breeders' Cup. 'At the Races' regular Rick Hammerle (Director of Racing at San Anita/Del Mar) has created sabreederscup@yahoo.com as an address where you can communicate directly:
  • What you think the Cup is lacking..
  • What you want to see as part of the TV coverage..
  • What needs to be addressed in terms of on-site attendance..
  • Whatever element of BC '08 you think could be better than those before it..
Hammer will be meeting with BCL officials in December as part of the preliminary execution phase of Santa Anita's hosting duties, and will communicate fans' concerns/issues/suggestions directly to them...

He hopes you'll utilize this opportunity to bring your voice to Breeders' Cup Limited.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Flemington

Hats off to Rick for doing this!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Fairgrounds

Trakus
Old 11-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07
Trakus
Either Trakus or get colored saddlecloths, this must be done for the people with lesser eyesight or bad hearing
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Either Trakus or get colored saddlecloths, this must be done for the people with lesser eyesight or bad hearing
Come on Scavs.. Who that follows racing has those kind of physical limitations...?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Keeneland

What a clever thing to do, actually listen to the fans! Well done, Rick!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I understand the saddlecloth issue to an extent, but for me, its way overplayed.

Can't people follow jockey silks to recognize their horse(s), and of the major contenders in a race?

Usually, it's not difficult.
Who wants to memorize 12 different sets of owners colors numerous times a day? They have to get the saddlecloth thing straightened out. No excuse not to have it.

I also would suggest to use the home track's camera feed so we can avoid all the camera cuts that the networks seem to love.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
I understand the saddlecloth issue to an extent, but for me, its way overplayed.

Can't people follow jockey silks to recognize their horse(s), and of the major contenders in a race?

Usually, it's not difficult.
I totally see why people don't like the uniform saddlecloths and don't want to learn the horse's silks.

I used to gripe about the same thing years ago -- but have now found that I have no problem following the race based on the silks, generally by that time you've seen the contenders' silks plenty of times and can pick most horses out in their respective races.

It's not a problem for me anymore, but if it helps other people, I'm all for it.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Belmont Park

Traditional saddlecloths....and a roof j/k

I'll add to the email and I'm not sure if it's budgetarily or logistically feasable, but I love the camera that's mounted to a vehicle and tracks the trip along from the inside circumference of the infield....Dubai does an amazing job of this - you can feel the hoofbeats and hear them practically breathing, plus it a great close up angle of the trip
Old 11-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Santa Anita

from an international point of view, they either make a spirited attempt to attract quality international runners or they get rid of the horrid "World Thoroughbred Championships" slogan.. Frankly, I thinks its patronising!! Other than that, its brilliant!!

#Grand
Old 11-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I didn't write that people had to memorize 12 silks for each race, each day.

While I know that it is much, much easier to see the orange saddlecloth on a horse closing hard down the stretch and know that the 7 is in the hunt, I don't think it's impossible to do what I wrote above. I know that when I key a horse and put a few behind him in a multi-horse wager, I know their silks a great extent of the time. On some TV feeds -- like at an OTB or restaurant -- it is easier to distinguish jockey silks than saddlecloths for the 1, 7, and 8, e.g.
It was impossible to see the slop covered silks of any horse other than the front runners at Monmouth. Maybe it was easier to see on TV, but at the track live, I couldn't pick out a horse by the silks until they passed me and I could look at their backs. Colored saddlecloths would've helped greatly.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:34 PM
Saratoga

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to bring this up or not and can't remember all the details of why it took so long for the 2nd ambulance to reach Fleet Indian last year (Churchill employees following some regulations?) but i hope that never happens again.....

Ambulance availability..... just wanted to mention that.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis
Traditional saddlecloths....and a roof j/k

I'll add to the email and I'm not sure if it's budgetarily or logistically feasable, but I love the camera that's mounted to a vehicle and tracks the trip along from the inside circumference of the infield....Dubai does an amazing job of this - you can feel the hoofbeats and hear them practically breathing, plus it a great close up angle of the trip
You know, I love that too ... like being in the race! Even if they only used it during the replay.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Oaklawn

I love the idea of the moving camera like they have in Dubai. But I also would like to add a little more excitement between the races. The time between the races in extremely boring. I wish they would some sort of entertainment. Perhaps profile a different jockey inbetween races, have some singers, dancers - anything to keep the attention of the audience. How about having a betting for beginners segment at certain points in the telecast. Maybe teach people the basic of reading a program. Promote the sport as a form of an entertainment alternative.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey17
I love the idea of the moving camera like they have in Dubai. But I also would like to add a little more excitement between the races. The time between the races in extremely boring. I wish they would some sort of entertainment. Perhaps profile a different jockey inbetween races, have some singers, dancers - anything to keep the attention of the audience. How about having a betting for beginners segment at certain points in the telecast. Maybe teach people the basic of reading a program. Promote the sport as a form of an entertainment alternative.
If the BC is the person's first time at the racetrack, they won't be going back. What you are asking for regarding betting for beginners would be a good every Saturday approach to the races. Arlington does this, but they do it 'before' the race card, when no one is there. You have to make an attempt to get there early to learn, which I find odd. People would learn if they were talking about it between races for a couple minutes.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
Sha Tin

Lots of good ideas though I still like the Erin Andrews replacing Hank Goldberg idea. There is no good reason to have all purple saddle towels also.
Maybe the Breeders Cup should table the idea of adding another race and use some of the money to subsidize travel to CA for the Euros and East coast and Midwest horses.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Oaklawn

BC at Santa Anita needs a Carolina BBQ stand. I understand the guy who runs the BBQ is not very busy.

Maybe Erin would even stop by.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heels1989
BC at Santa Anita needs a Carolina BBQ stand. I understand the guy who runs the BBQ is not very busy.

Maybe Erin would even stop by.
I would man the booth on the house with GPK and Scavs
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Cahokia Downs

They need to have the Breakfast with the Works every day from Monday until Thursday-this year it was Monday-Wednesday and on Thursday there wasn't so much as a cup of coffee for sale anywhere on the front side in the morning.

They need to move the Fan Fest back to the middle/latter part of the week rather than have it during the weekend before.

Apart from the Fan Fest they need to have more events going on that everyone can take part in and enjoy.

It will be great if you're a member of the press or an invited guest and be able to go the Press party-which may be at Universal Studios as in 2003-but what's on offer for the fans?

Sure they can lash out $600 for the Breeders' Cup Charity Bash on the Friday night.... and sit in the seats that weren't even put on sale for the great unwashed mass.

There needs to be a huge swing in favour of the many and away from the few.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Santa Anita

I like the idea of microphones actually picking up the sounds during the race. I like the Woodbine and Keeneland position displays during a race. And all the winning connections victory celebrations should be shown. The fans should then be able to vote on the "best victory celebration" after the last race.